Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #401
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Such a good man!
I caught that pre-edit.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 01:42 AM   #402
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My nephew played with Boulet in Bantams. So damn sad!
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:54 AM   #403
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Jamie Macoun‏ @JamieMacoun · 9h9 hours ago
Stanley wearing his jersey #JerseyForHumboldt

Old 04-13-2018, 06:41 AM   #404
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Completely tone deaf.

Quote:
A Quebec high school student who wore a jersey to school to show support for the victims of the crash involving the Humboldt Broncos says he was kicked out of class for his gesture.

Bernard Dufourd said officials at Augustin-Norbert-Morin high school believed the student, who he says has a history of dress code violations, wore the soccer top as a “pretext” to avoid the standard attire.
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...t-victims.html
Old 04-13-2018, 07:05 AM   #405
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...hinz-1.4617834

Quote:
Hinz had Asperger syndrome, a high-functioning form of autism, but had a mind like a steel trap for numbers, with his family suspecting he had savant abilities. Strueby recalled her nephew, at a young age, could count into the thousands and as he grew older, he could toss out sport statistics dating back to the 1940s.

"It was just like a natural ability. He did not have to work at it," she said about the soon-to-be high school graduate, who was interested in a career in sports management.

Given that talent and a love for Humboldt's No. 1 hockey team, it was a natural fit for him to become the Broncos' statistician, and to join the team on its journeys.

Quote:
In the last week, people have been sharing anecdotes about the boy who grew up volunteering for his church and teaching Sunday school, who would dress up as Santa Claus for the community soup kitchen's Christmas, and who was both a role model and friend to young children.

"And it's so heartwarming, touching, all of it," said Strueby of all the stories she has heard about him.

Quote:
When she visited his school to gather his belongings, Strueby could see just how much of an impact her nephew had made.

As she and her brother prepared to leave, the principal stopped them and asked, "Hey, would you like to come and see something pretty special?"

Spoiler!
Old 04-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #406
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I thought I had wept enough, dammit.
Apparently not
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #407
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I was thinking a bit about this. Regardless of the student's history with the dress code (and this being a soccer jersey) I just don't understand how they thought this was going to turn out well for them.

Of all the times to bite your tongue and let it slide.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #408
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

“If the student had chosen to wear a Broncos sweater, we would have understood his gesture was noble,” he said in a phone interview.

ya...because you can just walk into any store and pick one of those up.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #409
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Edit: nm not fair and not the place.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 04-13-2018 at 02:04 PM. Reason: But still true
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #410
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnathan Towes and Mark Chipman flew in this morning,, brought the game worn Winnipeg and Chicago jerseys with the Broncos nameplates to present to the families. Also, were invited by the family of Jacob Leicht to attend his funeral.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #411
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
2 ugly moments of heartlessness this week and both of them stemmed from Quebec.
The "tonedeafness" is not exclusive to Quebec. A couple of individuals from Western Canada felt the need to criticize the Prime Minister for visiting the survivors in the hospital on Twitter.
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #412
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie_16 View Post
The "tonedeafness" is not exclusive to Quebec. A couple of individuals from Western Canada felt the need to criticize the Prime Minister for visiting the survivors in the hospital on Twitter.
Those are dumbies who hate a politician so much that they would have a negative comment for literally any positive thing the politician does
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #413
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Erik Karlsson had a message

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...e-on-instagram
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #414
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

I get the sentiment of wearing the jersey's in honor of the victims but I find it a little odd all the pictures I am seeing of people lined up together, in jerseys, with big beaming smiles on their faces.
It's nice that they are doing what they are doing, but this is not a celebration. It's a showing of solidarity with the victims of a terrible tragedy. Not trying to be Mr. Stick-in-the-mud, but it does strike me as odd. People don't line up at funerals in their Sunday best and take smiling group photos.
I was also seeing a lot of "jersey'd" selfies on my facebook feed. I think some have forgotten why they are donning their jerseys.

Last edited by schteve_d; 04-13-2018 at 02:23 PM. Reason: And selfies!
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 04-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #415
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're celebrating their lives. I celebrate with a smile on my face.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #416
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
I get the sentiment of wearing the jersey's in honor of the victims but I find it a little odd all the pictures I am seeing of people lined up together, in jerseys, with big beaming smiles on their faces.
It's nice that they are doing what they are doing, but this is not a celebration. It's a showing of solidarity with the victims of a terrible tragedy. Not trying to be Mr. Stick-in-the-mud, but it does strike me as odd. People don't line up at funerals in their Sunday best and take smiling group photos.
I was also seeing a lot of "jersey'd" selfies on my facebook feed. I think some have forgotten why they are donning their jerseys.
I think of my friend Tyler Bieber and what he would want, and he would love seeing everyone together honouring and remembering him in sports apparel. He was a goofy guy and I think its no big deal.

Last edited by colbym72; 04-13-2018 at 04:17 PM.
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to colbym72 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 02:46 PM   #417
Big Erned Nevergivn
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
I get the sentiment of wearing the jersey's ... People don't line up at funerals in their Sunday best and take smiling group photos....
I understand where your coming from but I'll share a personal story that may provide insight. My Cousin passed away 2 weeks ago way too early at the age of 37 from a sudden brain aneurysm. He was a huge oiler fan, so much so that he was buried in his signed Gretzky jersey, with his signed Gretzky rookie card, in a camo coffin covered in an oiler's flag. The Paul bearers all bought oiler's jersey's with his name and date of birth on the back. One of these paul bearers was my old man who is a giant flames fan. But these guys were not the only people in oilers jerseys, in fact 1/2 of the >100 people who attended the funeral wore Jerseys.

The point of this story is that it brought a lot of smiles to people's faces knowing that our brother, cousin, friend, Joe got the last laugh having all of canadians (most who despise the oilers) wear his team's jersey. Lots of pictures were taken, of proud, teary eyed, smiling people that day. I believe this helped a lot of people that day. Smiling and laughing in times of tragedy and grief is not something negative, nor does it mean the people are happy. All it means is that they are happy to support a cause, or they are proud to be wearing it.

And even if people are just jumping on a bandwagon for the hell of it, its still support and I believe there is no Ill will involved.
Big Erned Nevergivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #418
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Dammit. I think I've cried every day in the last week.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #419
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Dammit. I think I've cried every day in the last week.
Yup - I know I have. Every. Day.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #420
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Erned Nevergivn View Post
I understand where your coming from but I'll share a personal story that may provide insight. My Cousin passed away 2 weeks ago way too early at the age of 37 from a sudden brain aneurysm. He was a huge oiler fan, so much so that he was buried in his signed Gretzky jersey, with his signed Gretzky rookie card, in a camo coffin covered in an oiler's flag. The Paul bearers all bought oiler's jersey's with his name and date of birth on the back. One of these paul bearers was my old man who is a giant flames fan. But these guys were not the only people in oilers jerseys, in fact 1/2 of the >100 people who attended the funeral wore Jerseys.

The point of this story is that it brought a lot of smiles to people's faces knowing that our brother, cousin, friend, Joe got the last laugh having all of canadians (most who despise the oilers) wear his team's jersey. Lots of pictures were taken, of proud, teary eyed, smiling people that day. I believe this helped a lot of people that day. Smiling and laughing in times of tragedy and grief is not something negative, nor does it mean the people are happy. All it means is that they are happy to support a cause, or they are proud to be wearing it.

And even if people are just jumping on a bandwagon for the hell of it, its still support and I believe there is no Ill will involved.
I'm out of Thanks, so gonna say it, Thanks for sharing, very touching.