Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #341
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Trainer Dayna Brons has passed away.
So sad. I was wondering today how she was doing as there wasn't much released about her and just read on Twitter that she had past away.
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:33 PM   #342
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

These were mostly kids and young adults. It's like comparing high school shootings and other public mass shootings in the US. Of course there's a lot more outpouring of sadness for the kids.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #343
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Threats are never acceptable, obviously, especially ones of that nature.

The correct response to that tweet should be widespread recognition that said person's opinions should be considered as fully ignorable. That's the worst tweet I've seen in ages, since that PR lady who talked about not getting AIDS in Africa because she's white.
The tweet you are talking about was a joke (clearly in poor taste). It somehow caught fire and exploded. Not really comparable to this tweet about the bus crash to be honest. Anyways, don't want to derail this thread too much, but here is a great article about the tweet you were referring to.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/m...ccos-life.html
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #344
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've kept a stick out on the porch since Sunday with the light on. I will continue to do so until the last three who are in critical condition are cleared.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 04:49 PM   #345
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Gulutzan was on the Sportsnet 960 a little while ago. He's still pretty choked up. He said Johnny and Gio called some of the kids today.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #346
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

NVM - my internet is slow

Last edited by Minnie; 04-11-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #347
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
well (and I won't give her more time after this post I don't think) the one area where she might be closest to right is the age thing

I do think regardless of anything else 15 dead (12 or so essentially teenagers) versus 6 middle aged adults does resonate differently with people- as a middle ager myself I accept that
I think this hit close to home for many people, both recalling their own days as youth riding on buses to various sports events and functions and maybe a close call at some point, and as parents it hits dead centre on that twinge of anxiety and doubt every time you put your on kid on a bus and in the trust of others to bring them home safe.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to automaton 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #348
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I agree, and I'd like to think you are right. Reading her tweets today, she did point out though that there was not nearly as much concern/support for the Quebec City mosque shooting last year, where six were killed and nineteen others injured.
That is crazy. The PM the Premier and all opposition leaders were there the next night.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #349
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go look after your boys Dayna
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #350
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I like this rebuttal by Ben Morris on Medium. https://medium.com/@BMMorris/an-open...o-a9850a915740

I am a white, not so young, male so I suppose whatever I think is invalidated, but the primary reason this tragedy strikes home is because it is hockey related and I am a father of a hockey player in Canada. I feel terrible for the family and community that lost what they have.

I'll be honest, the Quebec City mosque was not on my emotional radar when it occured, but then again, my Twitter feed is pretty much hockey centric. I spend my time on a hockey message board. I am part of hockey culture.

There are so many bad things that happen in the world, it is hard to open your emotions up to all of them. So why this one? I am not racist, but I am sure that it is about relatatedness of the hockey team. Would a busload of elderly Italian nuns have elicited the same response from Canada? I am sure people would have been sad to hear it, but there is no way that there is a $9MM GoFundMe. Here in Calgary, and across Canada, there are so many direct personal connections, it is not hard to comprehend why there has been such a great response.

Jersey day, leave a stick out for Humbolt, the media attention all comes because a particular community needed an outlet for their personal grief.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #351
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

RIP Dayna. Your boys will be both sad that you lost your fight here, but happy that they'll have you on the team again.
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 07:26 PM   #352
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
RIP Dayna. Your boys will be both sad that you lost your fight here, but happy that they'll have you on the team again.
Beautiful!! Could not have said it better myself!!
Old 04-11-2018, 10:31 PM   #353
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Seeing pics of some some folks leaving out a roll of athletic tape along with the sticks. Also microphones and coaches clipboards.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 03:33 AM   #354
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
This happenned earlier this week:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/1...us-plunge.html

How should Canadians respond as compared to the Humboldt reaponse? Should be the same or different? Couldnt those families use donations more than Canadians that have decent health and social programs?

You aren't seriously comparing tragedies on the other side f the world to a tragedy right in our back yard, are you?
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheOnlyBilko For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 03:44 AM   #355
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
The think the overwhelming response comes more from the fact that this happened in our own backyard and that it hit home because so many families have experienced what it is like to send their child out on a bus for hockey. I don't think this has anything to do with race or gender.

Exactly. These guys on the bus were ME and my friends.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:46 AM   #356
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyways today is jerseys for Humboldt hope everyone takes part.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheOnlyBilko For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 04:47 AM   #357
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
This happenned earlier this week:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/1...us-plunge.html

How should Canadians respond as compared to the Humboldt reaponse? Should be the same or different? Couldnt those families use donations more than Canadians that have decent health and social programs?
How much have you donated to that cause in India? I know you are trying to raise the issue of perspective, but I get really tired of all these warriors telling others where they should put their money without any skin in the game. Set example, limit your lifestyle to the same people you want to support and donate the rest. It's one thing to have a "better world opinion", it's another to do something about it.

A lot of people here have elected to support a cause that hits close to home. I am glad they have.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:15 AM   #358
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:
Ducks

Though it hits very close to home for me, as I rode that bus as support staff for a Jr A hockey team for several years, if someone suggests that there would be less support had this tragedy involved a Canadian girl's indigenous hockey team, I'll disagree.

Other comparisons do not compare.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 08:04 AM   #359
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Though it hits very close to home for me, as I rode that bus as support staff for a Jr A hockey team for several years, if someone suggests that there would be less support had this tragedy involved a Canadian girl's indigenous hockey team, I'll disagree.

Other comparisons do not compare.
Exactly...if the bus had been full of girls travelling to a volleyball tournament the response and outpouring would have been the same. The sport/race or gender isn't as important as the event. Many of us parents have sent our kids out on busses for all sorts of activities: hockey, football, volleyball, dance, band. It is the exact reason why it is resonating with all of us so much.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #360
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly.
Our child. Our friend. Our Coach. Our Captain. Our team mate. Our Players. Our Announcer. Our Statistician. Our Driver. And now Our Trainer. They feel like Our Team because they could so easily be our team. Every loss feels so personal.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post: