Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #181
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The GoFundMe surpassed $3 million overnight. Pretty incredible.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:03 AM   #182
604flames
First Line Centre

Exp:

I worked in junior hockey for seven years and did hundreds of these trips in the BCHL and WHL. Bus drivers have to drive in some of the most miserable conditions just about every weekend for six months of the year. I had one driver in the WHL who white-knuckled it just about every trip home because he was terrified of hitting an animal or worse (thankfully the worst that happened to us was we hit an elk outside Sparwood one night).

The hockey community is a small and resilient one, and it is encouraging to see the level of support being offered the survivors and loved ones of the deceased from that community and beyond after everyone's worst nightmare came true.
604flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:11 AM   #183
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
The GoFundMe surpassed $3 million overnight. Pretty incredible.
Sorry if this seems insensitive (isn't intended to be at all) or judgemental (isn't intended to be at all), but what happens with this money? Does this go to pay for medical expenses and care, funerals, meals for people in need or lodging for family? New rink for the team? I presume so, but just curious.

Is the GoFundMe going to the hockey team itself or just the community? Do some people get more than others?

Kind of more just curious than anything and not implying at all it isn't deserved or needed, just wondering what happens with the dough. I noticed Macs convenience stores looked like they were also raising money for it as I saw yesterday.

Obviously a horrendous tragedy. CNN was reporting on it yesterday too. Liked the Blue Jays making note of it as well. Just awful... I couldn't even imagine the hell you would be experiencing as a parent. And then the kids, how do these kids that survived overcome such a monumental challenge?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #184
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Sorry if this seems insensitive (isn't intended to be at all) or judgemental (isn't intended to be at all), but what happens with this money? Does this go to pay for medical expenses and care, funerals, meals for people in need or lodging for family? New rink for the team? I presume so, but just curious.

Is the GoFundMe going to the hockey team itself or just the community? Do some people get more than others?

Kind of more just curious than anything and not implying at all it isn't deserved or needed, just wondering what happens with the dough. I noticed Macs convenience stores looked like they were also raising money for it as I saw yesterday.

Obviously a horrendous tragedy. CNN was reporting on it yesterday too. Liked the Blue Jays making note of it as well. Just awful... I couldn't even imagine the hell you would be experiencing as a parent. And then the kids, how do these kids that survived overcome such a monumental challenge?
I think those are legitimate questions. Presumably they will establish a trust with proper oversight to ensure all funds are directed towards the needs of the victims.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:44 AM   #185
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

If you go read the page they are working with the team and the town.
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #186
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it started out as a hockey mom wanting to help (I believe the original goal was $10 000) and then it just blew up as many people want to do something but don't really have the power to do anything besides donate money. I read the description and they are working with the team now, so hopefully it will go where it can help the most.

That's kind of the problem with a big donation push right away. No one really knows what the best use of the money is yet. I wonder if at some point, after providing direct help to those involved, it will go towards some kind of memorial scholarship (hockey related) type thing? Although if some of the survivors have serious long term injuries, like paralysis, specialized equipment could go through the money in a hurry.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #187
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously what happens with the money is important, and will be ultimately handled in appropriate fashion.
At this point, it provides people an opportunity to 'do something' in the aftermath of a horrible tragedy, where they can otherwise do nothing. This is enough for now.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #188
bigpete
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I wondered the same thing, but ya I agree, kind of awkward to bring up. Sometimes when a tragedy occurs, people donate large sums to these 'go fund me' initiatives. But a lot of the time there really isn't much need for the money. Especially if insurance gets involved, not to mention the public health system.

Anyway, it's great that people are so generous. Such a terrible tragedy, I'm praying for the families and everyone affected.
bigpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #189
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I’m sure it isn’t a surprise to most people that funerals for 15 people won’t be cheap. That’s a huge part of the money raised.

Then you add in travel, accommodations, time off work for the parents (some of whom may need to take extended periods of time off if their child is in the hospital for months) and it adds up quick.

I’m sure that won’t use it all and wouldn’t be surprised if some is used for some sort of memorial, scholarship etc.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #190
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

@Sportsnet:
A vigil will be held in Humboldt, SK on Sunday night to honour the victims of the tragic bus crash involving the Humboldt Broncos.

#HumboldtStrong will air at 9:00pm ET / 6:00pm PT on SN West, SN Pacific, and SN One.

https://t.co/c8B9ca6cuU

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #191
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am sure whatever the money is used for will be for good. Why are people even worried about it?
Old 04-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #192
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

No one is worried. One poster asked what happens to the money. People responded.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #193
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I am sure whatever the money is used for will be for good. Why are people even worried about it?
Blame PIMking
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #194
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Remarkably sad. Just learned that my former high school gym teacher’s son passed away due to this accident. Defenceman Logan Boulet. The poor guy is a hero, he only just turned 21 yet as soon as he did he wanted to sign on as an organ donor, in case something ever happened. He will be giving 6 very ill people a new hope.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4130701/h...donate-organs/

Edit: didnt see it mentioned on the previous page, am on mobile out of town. Still bears repeating, clearly an amazing kid.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jetfire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #195
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's amazing when parents donate organs when their children die. It's a difficult decision to make at such an awful time, but an incredible gift. I think as time goes on, it could be very comforting to know that a part of your child in a way lives on in the person who received the organ.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #196
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpete View Post
... there really isn't much need for the money. Especially if insurance gets involved, not to mention the public health system.
You'd be surprised at what isn't covered, in terms of the health system. Sure, most of the big stuff is covered by AHC and private insurance but there is plenty that isn't.

My daughter had Osteomyelitis and had to be on a PICC line - and while the $300/week bags of medication only cost us $2 after insurance, all the tubing and other paraphanelia needed to deliver the medication was not covered by anyone. That ran us about $2100 for the 7 weeks she was on the PICC line plus gas required to drive to ACH from Strathmore each Wednesday to pick up.

Then the times when she was hospitalized? Parking fees which are ridiculous, meals for me and so much more people dont think about. Being in hospital is costly, especially long term like many of these kids will be. Travel to another province, accommodation, fuel, good, parking fees, laundry and sooo much more.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #197
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
You'd be surprised at what isn't covered, in terms of the health system. Sure, most of the big stuff is covered by AHC and private insurance but there is plenty that isn't.

My daughter had Osteomyelitis and had to be on a PICC line - and while the $300/week bags of medication only cost us $2 after insurance, all the tubing and other paraphanelia needed to deliver the medication was not covered by anyone. That ran us about $2100 for the 7 weeks she was on the PICC line plus gas required to drive to ACH from Strathmore each Wednesday to pick up.

Then the times when she was hospitalized? Parking fees which are ridiculous, meals for me and so much more people dont think about. Being in hospital is costly, especially long term like many of these kids will be. Travel to another province, accommodation, fuel, good, parking fees, laundry and sooo much more.

Not only that, but some of the outside costs not covered by our healthcare can get hung up in court cases if negligence etc is involved. That can become a huge problem to pay up front and not get reimbursed for years after.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #198
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan Straschniski will be a paraplegic at minimum, according to his mom. How much will insurance cover to re-fit his home for a wheelchair? Will the chair costs be covered? Ramp to get in the house? Will he need a catheter or ostomy, depending on the injury? Are the associated costs gor those covered by insurance? He's likely on his parents' insurance which he can only be on for a certain amount of time. He and many of the survivors are going to need counselling. The costs for that that are covered by insurance tends to be limited, from experience. Same with physio.

A lot of fees and costs that can add up pretty quick. And as redforever said, court cases can take years and a lot of these needs can't wait. My husband's aunt and uncle and their son were in a major accident near Jasper in 2009. The court case was settled in 2014 I think. His aunt didn't return home for 6 months after the accident - they live in Prince George and based on the accident location, were taken to Edmonton for care. From Edmonton, she went to GF Strong rehab in Vancouver. Her injuries were vast and they weren't sure she'd walk again (she does, but with deficits) - a major concussion causing her brain to swell, broke several ribs and her lungs collapsed. It was not initially detected by MRI and CT scans but she also had an internal decapitation. A razor-thin speck of tissue in her C1 vertebrae was all that kept her from dying - 1 mm. I know there was a lot that wasn't covered for them x 3 people. Lifelong things that will need to be paid for somehow.

Last edited by Minnie; 04-08-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #199
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:59 PM   #200
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Ryan Straschniski will be a paraplegic at minimum, according to his mom. How much will insurance cover to re-fit his home for a wheelchair? Will the chair costs be covered? Ramp to get in the house? Will he need a catheter or ostomy, depending on the injury? Are the associated costs gor those covered by insurance? He's likely on his parents' insurance which he can only be on for a certain amount of time. He and many of the survivors are going to need counselling. The costs for that tends to be limited, from experience. Same with physio.

A lot of fees and costs that can add up pretty quick. And as redforever said, court cases can take years and a lot of these needs can't wait. My husband's aunt and uncle and their son were in a major accident near Jasper in 2009. The court case was settled in 2014 I think. His aunt didn't return home for 6 months after the accident - they live in Prince George and based on the accident location, were taken to Edmonton for care. From Edmonton, she went to GF Strong rehab in Vancouver. Her injuries were vast and they weren't sure she'd walk again (she does, but with deficits) - a major concussion causing her brain to swell, broke several ribs and her lungs collapsed. It was not initially detected by MRI and CT scans but she also had an internal decapitation. A razor-thin speck of tissue in her C1 vertebrae was all that kept her from dying - 1 mm. I know there was a lot that wasn't covered for them x 3 people. Lifelong things that will need to be paid for somehow.

Worked with Ryan's dad years ago. great guy, this is so heartbreaking
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote