Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2020, 07:58 AM   #521
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know why you wouldn't include the zoo/science centre, or North Hill, or Foothills. You know, places you would actually want to go to. Hopefully they expand it soon.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:05 AM   #522
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our neighbourhood used to fall into the “home zone” of Car2Go, too bad that they made the home zone so small.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #523
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is great to have a new option but I don't see this as being successful for long in Calgary. Their home zone is too restrictive, pricing seems to convoluted and obviously with the ongoing pandemic business will be weak until the environment changes.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #524
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah I just cant see that being successful with that small of a home zone. I thought Car2Go's zone was small but this is way smaller
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:41 AM   #525
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't know why you wouldn't include the zoo/science centre, or North Hill, or Foothills. You know, places you would actually want to go to. Hopefully they expand it soon.
Nice try, Sears
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #526
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

That overly compromised home zone looks like a recipe for failure. A lot of Car2go trips were people commuting to the core and home. With the scooters having decent range and area why would you choose the commie car?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #527
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
That overly compromised home zone looks like a recipe for failure. A lot of Car2go trips were people commuting to the core and home. With the scooters having decent range and area why would you choose the commie car?
Winter?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #528
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Winter?
...and kids.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #529
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
However it looks like as a mobile experience the app may not be the best (at least on IOS), the reviews just hammer it. May not be a smooth interface like Car2Go was.
Well keep in mind that Car2Go was owned by this little outfit called Daimler AG. This looks like a mom and pop in comparison, and I definitely wouldn't expect it to ever be as smooth of an operation as that was.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #530
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
...and kids.
You can pack a family of four on a scooter no problem. Maybe even seven or eight.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 12:13 PM   #531
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Well keep in mind that Car2Go was owned by this little outfit called Daimler AG. This looks like a mom and pop in comparison, and I definitely wouldn't expect it to ever be as smooth of an operation as that was.
I really feel that if a business like this is going to succeed it has to be backed by a car manufacturer. I just don't see how a private enterprise can make money considering the high overhead cost of vehicle purchases/leasing, vehicle maintenance, insurance, fuel costs, parking, etc. At least with an automaker involved you could reduce the vehicle and maintenance costs significantly.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:19 PM   #532
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I really feel that if a business like this is going to succeed it has to be backed by a car manufacturer. I just don't see how a private enterprise can make money considering the high overhead cost of vehicle purchases/leasing, vehicle maintenance, insurance, fuel costs, parking, etc. At least with an automaker involved you could reduce the vehicle and maintenance costs significantly.
Yeah, not many of these shared-transport ideas seem to particularly viable financially over the long-term, so they tend to need some sort of subsidy. Car2Go itself was a quasi-marketing play by Daimler to promote their SMART cars (which weren't doing too well in North America and this probably gave the cars some justification). I don't think it's a coincidence that once SMART exited the NA market, Car2Go soon followed.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:21 PM   #533
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on replies to tweets this is just an initial operating home zone, we could see expansion of it in time just like Car2Go did.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #534
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You can pack a family of four on a scooter no problem. Maybe even seven or eight.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:16 PM   #535
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Cars are pretty expensive. A smaller launch, with a tighter home zone makes a lot of sense to get things rolling, iron out the kinks, and gauge interest in a new market.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:40 PM   #536
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Earlier today, I was looking at their website and they had a larger grey zone around the green zone, which extended down to Chinook and up to the University. It's no longer showing on there, but hopefully the zone will expand once their "beta" period is over.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #537
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Very curious how big their "home zone" will be. I lived near the edge of Car2Go's; if it doesn't go at least as far south as Glenmore-ish I don't think I'd even bother.
Quote:
Here is the Calgary home zone:

Yeah, that's gonna be a 'no' from me, dawg.

Way too small a service area. Seems like they're leaving some pretty low-hanging fruit on the table, places fairly close to downtown where Car2Gos ('Car2Goes'? 'Cars2Go'?) tended to still have high turnover like Erlton, Roxboro, Rideau Park... Curious what their metrics were to make the decision about where to include and not include, it's obviously not just distance from downtown.

And not including the commercial core itself? That's... interesting. No doubt that was the sticking point with Car2Go, it just cost them too much to pay for the parking downtown, but commuters to/from downtown constituted a huge proportion of their business.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:06 PM   #538
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you look at Edmonton, they have 10 cars currently. So I'm not at all surprised the area is so small with so few vehicles. And I don't really blame them. I'm sure it will expand when they can.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #539
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

How long have they been in Edmonton? Did they just recently kick off service there too, or have they been established for a while?
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:16 PM   #540
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure, I was just poking around the website. Ottawa covers a massive area.