Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2022, 12:01 PM   #41
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I fully expect Alberta's reputation to be dragged through the mud pretty severely over the next 2 weeks.
Any Flames fans that decide to attend a game in Rogers Place best be on their toes if they decide to wear Flames gear and the Oilers lose that particular game.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:06 PM   #42
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Any Flames fans that decide to attend a game in Rogers Place best be on their toes if they decide to wear Flames gear and the Oilers lose that particular game.
Ya I wouldn't even go, had a buddy that was a San Jose fan go a few years ago, harassed endlessly.

Security just told him to take his Jersey off.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:08 PM   #43
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Take after that Bolts fan at Jurassic Park.

Soon as the buzzer goes, jersey off and move with the herd inconspicuously until you're in the clear.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:08 PM   #44
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks to me like the post was amended, and first the poster wondered if it was racial and then, at the bottom, says that there was a young witness and it was "1000%" racial. So it sounds like that witness added some info.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:13 PM   #45
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don’t know...if an elderly person gets pushed down a set of stairs, that’s 100% police involvement. That’s not a joke, and I wonder why they wouldn’t have been engaged? The dome is covered in cameras, it would be impossible for this not to be on video I would think.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:17 PM   #46
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Ya I wouldn't even go, had a buddy that was a San Jose fan go a few years ago, harassed endlessly.

Security just told him to take his Jersey off.
Young fans may not realize just how hostile the BOA was in the 80's amongst fans as fist fights were common. I don't think (I at least hope) this series will get to those levels but they will likely be much more heated than what we have been accustomed to today.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:18 PM   #47
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
Pretty aggressive to go public like that if you aren't 100% sure it was racially motivated, so I tend to believe it happened.
It would be really awful for someone to misrepresent a situation as a racial incident, especially as they are positing photos of the alleged culprits.

Either way, this should be a positive time that brings Calgarians together and it's really sad to see stuff like this occurring.
Zarley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:26 PM   #48
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i hope that this was brought up with Saddledome security at the time of the incident and that it has been logged...

the security, I hope, were able to contact season ticket nearby, to verify and get statements.... it would be a lot harder to get the police involved if they didn't go to saddledome security or the police at the dome, at the time of the incident

i was sitting beside some Sikh gentlemen at game 5... luckily no issues as far as I know that day at least...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:42 PM   #49
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kind of off topic, but the people who make fake jerseys spend so little time on obvious details.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 01:08 PM   #50
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I once got punched in the face by a Native American guy at school because I wouldn’t give him my lunch money. I went to the principal and told him.

The next period I was called back to the office and I was suspended for a week because he told the principal that I called him a racial slur.

My dad was almost 100% Cree

But it doesn’t matter; because it’s always been so easy to use the race card; making it harder for actual race related hate crimes to be stopped.

This all happened in 1995 or so.

Be careful who you label a racist
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PuckSlap For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 01:14 PM   #51
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I struggle a bit with this, because I'm sure its very likely there was some racial stuff involved in here, and you'd like to see an assault addressed properly. But defining people for them and backing them into a corner isn't going to make anything better for those people or for the person looking for recompense.

It kind of comes down the punishment vs rehabilitation aspect of criminal justice. If you don't want these people to commit racist violence, they need to first feel consequences for their actions, and second feel the opportunity to behave better in the future. If you just want to get back at these people put their phot up on social media and call them racists, their reaction will be predictable.

It sucks and I have a lot of empathy for the poster and his uncle. They had a bad experience and obviously want to lash back for good reason. But in reality taking these photos to saddledome security or CPS would have probably made a much smaller, much less noticeable, but far more effective difference.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:28 PM   #52
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is it explained better elsewhere how they got smiling headshots of the accused on the concourse? I was expecting pictures right after the incident.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:41 PM   #53
OminousFlames
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Is it explained better elsewhere how they got smiling headshots of the accused on the concourse? I was expecting pictures right after the incident.
which kind of conflicts against their claim of them pushing him down, and running away laughing.
OminousFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:46 PM   #54
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I can’t see the insta post but everything about this is confusing.

Do they have video of these men pushing their uncle? How do they even know it was them? How do we know if it was a push at all?

Edit ok saw it now. What the ####? The perps posed for pictures and smiled? This seems too weird to be true.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:06 PM   #55
Purpdust
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Wow, the alleged people are identified as well as one of their employers, now for an investigation.
Purpdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:08 PM   #56
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the cancel culture mob mentality of today I hope everyone just reports these guys and let the police and witnesses do whatever they need to do rather than everyone jumping to conclusions. Everyone should know by now that certain facts should come out and the law should take the necessary next steps. Really hope the gentleman isn’t hurt as undoubtedly there are trashy people out there.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:38 PM   #57
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Yeah.

My hope is that because both teams have made it past round one that the losing fanbase will take the defeat relatively honorably.

I think a first round clash would've been worse.

Both teams will now at least have something to be proud/happy about that their team accomplished.

But ####... you just never know. With both teams fans sharing the stands. I could see heated moments during the games.

Please be civil and remember that its just a game, folks.

That also means being good about winning too. Don't get up in people's personal spaces to rub it in/pile it on.
This.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:40 PM   #58
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpdust View Post
Wow, the alleged people are identified as well as one of their employers, now for an investigation.

An investigation by who, the social media mob?
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:40 PM   #59
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update to the incident

https://instagram.com/stories/apnaho...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://instagram.com/stories/apnaho...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Quote:
We are so overwhelmed with the support we have received in the last 24 hours. Here are some very important updates.
1. My dad went to the doctor this morning and had an X-ray done for his back and knee. We are waiting for the results.
2. The police report is in the process we are just waiting for them to come by and have an in face conversation about the incident and what actions we can take to hold these people accountable.
3. The director @nhlflames reached out to us today and apologized for the incident and has accommodated my dad with two tickets to make up for his terrible experience at his first hockey game. They have apologized for what happened to my dad and wanted to make up for the terrible experience.
This really meant a lot to us because he was really sad and really upset. We really hope by addressing this situation we can raise awareness about holding people accountable for their actions.
4. We are still hopeful that these two individuals will reach out which they have not done as of yet to apologize for their actions which could have caused serious harm to my dad. @globalcalgary @ctv_calgary @nhl

Last edited by agulati; 05-17-2022 at 02:50 PM.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 02:44 PM   #60
OminousFlames
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I don't have instagram, so no idea what is being added.
OminousFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OminousFlames For This Useful Post: