Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2024, 01:14 PM   #1
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Proposed Rule Changes

Proposed Rule Changes

A couple of coaches challenges
Puck over glass!
Quote:
The coach's challenge will allow teams to avoid a penalty for sending a puck over the glass if video review can show it struck something. But if a coach gets it wrong, a team will incur two penalties, instead of just one.
High Sticking
Quote:
Another challenge was requested for "friendly fire" minor penalties for high-sticking, seeking to show it was player's own stick or a teammate's. Same as previous proposed challenge, a team will get an additional minor if the challenge fails.
There's more. Click on the link above.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:28 PM   #2
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is now time to have an off ice official that can just confirm events for all the time it takes. It is stupid that you have a challenge a bad call on the ice. take away the goal challenges and just have that off ice official review all scoring plays or egregiously bad calls.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:39 PM   #3
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think it is now time to have an off ice official that can just confirm events for all the time it takes. It is stupid that you have a challenge a bad call on the ice. take away the goal challenges and just have that off ice official review all scoring plays or egregiously bad calls.
The reason for the calls was for obvious missed calls. It has now been transformed into a nitpicking of close plays not in the spirit of the game. In the playoffs sure go to that level but during the regular season let the law of averages takeover to keep the game moving. If it's an obvious missed call a ref can see in 10 seconds on a small tablet allow that to be fixed but anything else I don't see why you can't let it slide.

Sent from my NE2215 using Tapatalk
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skaloper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 01:42 PM   #4
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow two pucks at once in OT. Yas!
Old 03-19-2024, 02:03 PM   #5
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol I was hoping for less coaching challenges...my kid is having a hard time getting into games...your team scores, you celebrate...then you wait nervously for them to drop the puck. The other team sits on their hands, even calls a timeout...then the refs take another 5 mins to confirm an obviously good goal.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:09 PM   #6
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
lol I was hoping for less coaching challenges...my kid is having a hard time getting into games...your team scores, you celebrate...then you wait nervously for them to drop the puck. The other team sits on their hands, even calls a timeout...then the refs take another 5 mins to confirm an obviously good goal.
I agree, one rule change I would love is the WHL rule where it is a good goal if the puck hits a skate, intentional or not.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 02:21 PM   #7
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

I always felt like puck over the glass in your own zone should be treated like icing.
Probably not a popular take.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 02:27 PM   #8
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ugh, please no more reasons to challenge and slow the game down and ruin momentum. With every move like this they take more of the fun and organic nature of hockey away.

IMO They should be removing reviews not adding more. Please start with removing offside reviews for fractions of an inch that likely have nearly zero impact to the result.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 03:35 PM   #9
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Ugh, please no more reasons to challenge and slow the game down and ruin momentum. With every move like this they take more of the fun and organic nature of hockey away.

IMO They should be removing reviews not adding more. Please start with removing offside reviews for fractions of an inch that likely have nearly zero impact to the result.
I see this as speeding it up. Now the refs wont review either of these themselves, and is pretty much farming out the video review to the teams. If they challenge and lose, they get an extra penalty and it turns into a 2 minute 5 on 3, so teams will only challenge when its egregious and clearly a missed call.

Only positives for speeding up the game AND getting the call right.
MrMike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 03:45 PM   #10
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

We need a soccer-type VAR review system to f- things up. No more coaches challenge, but have an off ice official watching in the press box call down for missed calls.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 03:47 PM   #11
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post

I always thought they should stop blowing down icing for a faceoff. If a team commits icing, they should have to retreat back to their own zone, and the other team just takes possession. On PPs, if the defending team ices the puck, the penalty clock should freeze until the team on the PP re-enters the neutral zone.

I'd at least like to see something like that tried. I think it would be good for the flow for the game and make icing while on the PK, more of a sacrifice than a reward.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:15 PM   #12
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I'd like to see a crotch kick policy implemented for any coach who challenges something and gets it wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 04:38 PM   #13
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
I always felt like puck over the glass in your own zone should be treated like icing.
Except a faceoff in your own zone is probably preferable for the defending team versus the situation that causes a panicked over the glass infraction.

I'd be OK with it being a lesser one minute penalty. Or automatic possession by the attacking team in the zone at soe designated spot.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 04:39 PM   #14
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I always thought they should stop blowing down icing for a faceoff. If a team commits icing, they should have to retreat back to their own zone, and the other team just takes possession. On PPs, if the defending team ices the puck, the penalty clock should freeze until the team on the PP re-enters the neutral zone.

I'd at least like to see something like that tried. I think it would be good for the flow for the game and make icing while on the PK, more of a sacrifice than a reward.
Would it be delay of game or something if they don't?
Old 03-19-2024, 04:44 PM   #15
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd be okay with adding a rule that states that you can challenge an offside goal, but only if the infraction was say within 10-15 seconds of the goal...none of this "hE wAs oFfSiDe 30 sEcoNdS aGo"
OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OmegaV4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 04:53 PM   #16
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

No more challenges. We need less challenges not more
Geeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 05:01 PM   #17
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Challenges are the worst part of the game. Should be eliminated not expanded.

Also why are the refs looking at replays on a tiny tablet when every arena has a giant video screen?
Old 03-19-2024, 05:25 PM   #18
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Challenges are the worst part of the game. Should be eliminated not expanded.

Also why are the refs looking at replays on a tiny tablet when every arena has a giant video screen?
Why are refs even looking. Isn't the decision made by someone else? I guess they have input.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:54 PM   #19
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd hate challenges less if they implemented a firm "You have 15/20/30/whatever seconds from the whistle to challenge"
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 06:15 PM   #20
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
I'm not sure if you watched hockey when that was the rule, but it was terrible terrible hockey. Sure, the hitting was harder and the players cared about each other's safety less making for some pretty crazy hockey, but what I hated more than anything was a defending team lobbing the puck over the glass 300 times per game. Bad teams would lob that puck over the glass whenever there was any possibility of danger...over and over and over again. It was awful.

The newer way has it's warts, but it's so much better than the terrible and frustrating hockey I had to watch in my younger years because of that one simple and wretched rule.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CF84 For This Useful Post: