Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2024, 09:37 PM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Default Wendy's to experiment with "surge pricing" in peak hours

Came across this in my feed and it was too incredible not to share here.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1762251031910728069

Because when I want to eat lunch, I'll choose the place that jacks up the price of a Baconator at noon. Genius!

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2024, 09:53 PM   #2
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dumb way to market it. Might've been better to raise prices and promote discount times instead (though I'm sure passionate fast foodies would see that for what it is)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2024, 09:57 PM   #3
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Came across this in my feed and it was too incredible not to share here.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1762251031910728069

Because when I want to eat lunch, I'll choose the place that jacks up the price of a Baconator at noon. Genius!

Although I fully agree with you, don't under estimate the stupidity of people and their money when it comes to food. I never use these apps or really eat at fast food joints.

There is a boat load of places that charge more for items listed on Skip, Doordash, Ubereats etc. People who get their food delivered through these apps can save hundreds, if not thousands of dollars a year simply by calling their favorite place or ordering through the online website and platform, normally rooted through one of the above platforms.

The same thing happens with Uber and surge pricing. I can't tell you how often friends of mine have loved nothing more than paying extra for someone's Honda Civic during surge pricing when a normal taxi is just as close and costs lower.

People love paying more for this garbage. It hurts, is painful but they kinda like it!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 02-26-2024, 10:18 PM   #4
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fast food used to be cheap and fast, now it's moderately priced in a moderate amount of time.

Surge pricing works for uber because it translates higher demand to higher prices which encourages increased supply. Higher prices at Wendy's just means less demand for a cheeseburger.

Feels similar to the subscription services for cars where traditional companies are looking to tech companies for ways to increase profit without understanding how these businesses actually work.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:35 PM   #5
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Without looking too much into this. Will that mean that a JBC will be dirt cheap during off times? Or will everything be a standard price that only escalates during peak times?

Good thing I don't really like Wendy's because this sounds dumb.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 10:37 PM   #6
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Dumb way to market it. Might've been better to raise prices and promote discount times instead (though I'm sure passionate fast foodies would see that for what it is)

It’s quizzical. What does the consumer even get out of this? It seems like one of those situations where they said the quiet part out loud.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2024, 10:44 PM   #7
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things like this make me wonder if the CEOs all get together and draw straws to see determine who will be first to enact some dumb change that will enhance profitability but face public backlash. Like airlines now nickel and diming on everything that used to be free.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2024, 10:48 PM   #8
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Careful how you treat your Customers. Sometimes they may fight back...

Its time to rise up and choose violence!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2024, 10:49 PM   #9
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Although I fully agree with you, don't under estimate the stupidity of people and their money when it comes to food. I never use these apps or really eat at fast food joints.

There is a boat load of places that charge more for items listed on Skip, Doordash, Ubereats etc. People who get their food delivered through these apps can save hundreds, if not thousands of dollars a year simply by calling their favorite place or ordering through the online website and platform, normally rooted through one of the above platforms.

The same thing happens with Uber and surge pricing. I can't tell you how often friends of mine have loved nothing more than paying extra for someone's Honda Civic during surge pricing when a normal taxi is just as close and costs lower.

People love paying more for this garbage. It hurts, is painful but they kinda like it!
One thing that I learned recently is that McDonalds has varying prices within cities. I knew that in captive markets they had higher prices like airports or sports arena but I was surprised to learn that one restaurant could have higher prices than another that is a few blocks away.

For example, checking on the McDonalds app in my hood, a Big Mac/meal at University District is $6.99/$13.49 while at Northland Mall it is $5.99/$10.79 and McMahon Stadium is $5.99/$10.89.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2024, 11:13 PM   #10
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah, I've noticed that at Dairy Queen. At one place, a small Blizzard is $5.99; at another, it's $7.49.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 05:59 AM   #11
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Curious who sets those prices in a franchise model. I always thought franchisees had to follow the instructions of head office entirely which would include pricing, but maybe not
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:27 AM   #12
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Yeah, I've noticed that at Dairy Queen. At one place, a small Blizzard is $5.99; at another, it's $7.49.
A small Blizzard is $5.99? Shows how much I eat at DQ but that's still surprisingly higher than I would expect.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:27 AM   #13
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

While it is certainly a money grab, there may be some logic and benifit long term behind it.

If I am driving through the strip mall or walking through a food court and see a long line at lunch I will not go there. I imagine that people with short lunch breaks are even more picky. Time is Money

So if you can reduce the line at lunch by charging more, while you might lose some clients you may actually have more happy clients with the same revenue. And if the people not willing to pay extra change their behavior to come early or later, Wendy's will make more $, and the overall 'happiness' of their customers will go up

I know I would easily pay $1-2 to not wait in line. But thats me - Others dont see that time/value as worth it.

Now if the customers just go somewhere else - Then its a different question - Do you want more higher paying customers in fast food or more lower paying , slightly annoyed waiting in line customers

Also curious if this will lead to cheaper off hours pricing. This isn't entirely new as food joints often have specials as off hours to encourage customers to come.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 02-27-2024, 06:55 AM   #14
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Corporation tries ways to exploit gullible consumers because profit. News at 11.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 06:57 AM   #15
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

This is too easy, let me do their marketing job for them:

[Without the app you get surge pricing, we profit]
[With the app, we'll mine your data and profit even more]

Damn I should be CEO!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 07:47 AM   #16
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

The outrage! How could they possibly do this??

Meanwhile bars and restaurants have always had happy hour, lol. Dynamic pricing has existed for a long time. Makes sense to even out the lunch rush / keep employees busy during more hours of the day.

But yeah I still kind of hate it
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 07:51 AM   #17
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I know I would easily pay $1-2 to not wait in line. But thats me - Others dont see that time/value as worth it.
Costco fuel pump lineups paint a picture of masses that are willing to wait a long time to save a few dollars.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 07:52 AM   #18
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
One thing that I learned recently is that McDonalds has varying prices within cities. I knew that in captive markets they had higher prices like airports or sports arena but I was surprised to learn that one restaurant could have higher prices than another that is a few blocks away.

For example, checking on the McDonalds app in my hood, a Big Mac/meal at University District is $6.99/$13.49 while at Northland Mall it is $5.99/$10.79 and McMahon Stadium is $5.99/$10.89.
Yep, I was buying 40 nuggets for a party and it was $8 cheaper at the 17th ave/33rd st location than at the 17th ave/14th st location.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2024, 08:20 AM   #19
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

But isn't surge pricing due to lack of demand with drivers? Is there a lack of Wendy's locations serving fast food during peak times?

I don't get it.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:32 AM   #20
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There was a Wendy's shack in the catholic school board parking lot for at least a year. Not sure if you could order from there or it was only for doordash type orders or what it was for They certainly seem to be downsizing (at least in Calgary), so maybe a way to max out dollars per franchise.

We do need more Arby's locations though.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post: