Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2023, 11:34 AM   #1341
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
[Spoilers after episodes have aired -- no game spoilers]

Is it that hard?
Ya, maybe just make a separate thread where you can discuss game stuff. Threads are free, and I'm not sure just sticking it behind spoiler tags(particularly when they don't say what they are spoiling) goes against the spirit of the thread. Just make a new one.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2023, 11:52 AM   #1342
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

That’s fair. I admittedly feel kind of dumb and awkward even just talking about my feelings around the second game without offering any kind of details, so I think it’s probably appropriate to just kill second game talk in this thread.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 04:41 PM   #1343
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Regarding the tone of the first game, the HBO show, and the second game (no spoilers,) I think the darkness is one of the most appealing aspects. It creates this sense of urgency that pervades throughout the entire story. And in all three cases it's done very, very well.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 05:19 PM   #1344
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The sequel got pulled into some dumb culture war that overtook so much discussion around the game. It made it almost impossible to have an actual discussion about it. The fact most of the major plot points leaked before the game was released certainly didn’t help either. People were judging it before even playing it. Lots of people made up their mind about it and never even played it.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2023, 08:30 PM   #1345
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2023, 06:56 AM   #1346
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don’t see what gamergate/incels/anti-semitism has to do with Corsi’s post, considering he is none of those things. I think Corsi even enjoyed the game more than I did, as I thought it was pretty bad all around and just a deeply flawed, boring, and depressing mess.

I loved the first season. There’s a good chance as of now that I don’t even bother watching the second.
I didn't like the 2nd game either as to me it was one of the most unnecessarily mean spirited games ever made but I will watch the second season just to see it through. I can't imagine they will adhere to the game as closely in the 2nd season as it would end up way too depressing for the masses that didn't play the game.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:17 AM   #1347
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
The sequel got pulled into some dumb culture war that overtook so much discussion around the game. It made it almost impossible to have an actual discussion about it. The fact most of the major plot points leaked before the game was released certainly didn’t help either. People were judging it before even playing it. Lots of people made up their mind about it and never even played it.
Angry bitter men losing their #### at other people existing, screeching about "GeNdEr pOlItIcS iN mA gAmEs!"

Last edited by chemgear; 04-03-2023 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:15 AM   #1348
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Angry bitter men losing their #### at other people existing, screeching about "GeNdEr pOlItIcS iN mA gAmEs!"
That's a pretty angry and bitter post. Just saying.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:33 AM   #1349
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That's a pretty angry and bitter post. Just saying.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2023, 09:20 AM   #1350
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
That’s fair. I admittedly feel kind of dumb and awkward even just talking about my feelings around the second game without offering any kind of details, so I think it’s probably appropriate to just kill second game talk in this thread.
Since we're talking about feelings, Today I feel Qatari. Today I feel Arabic. Today I feel African. Today I feel gay. Today I feel disabled. Today I feel a migrant worker.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:00 AM   #1351
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

What did people not like about the second game? I watched the cutscenes and it's fine.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:36 AM   #1352
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
What did people not like about the second game? I watched the cutscenes and it's fine.
I haven't played it but the main character is part of a marginalized minority community that incels don't appreciate.

So they flooded the internet with comments of disdain.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:41 AM   #1353
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 04-03-2023 at 01:10 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:43 AM   #1354
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we have to make a very clear distinction here between people who just didn't like the storyline, the structure or other aspects of the game, and the #######s who piled on because of bigotry and hate. On this board, those critical of the game have very clearly fallen into the first group IMO, and I think that needs to be emphasized. The second group doesn't even deserve one second of attention, but of course that was by far the loudest group.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:54 AM   #1355
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we need to make a distinction that this thread is for the HBO show and not the Naughty Dog game.

Game-players are doing an OK job of approaching the line of spoilers without crossing it, but even the talk of the tone of the second game (which I have not played and do not plan to) is already shaping my impression of the second season and hinting at potential plotlines.

Perhaps it's time for game-players to make a separate thread for discussion and speculation based on the source material, much like we had with Game of Thrones.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2023, 11:02 AM   #1356
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yeah, I don't think any single poster is making any attempt to lead to spoilers or tone of game or anything like that, but the issue is once the discussion is there, the body of work of everyone responding starts to create a feeling or narrative of the second game.

Then once the discussion is going on all it takes is a poster or two having a lapse and posting spoiler type things in the heat of a discussion.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:20 AM   #1357
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I made a thread, please take it there from now on.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=192165
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:27 AM   #1358
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the story was fine. I mean is it a literary classic? Nope, but it had twists and turns.

The most unrealistic parts are:

- the horsey rides with no wind protection.
- no one wears helmets.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:37 AM   #1359
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, I don't think any single poster is making any attempt to lead to spoilers or tone of game or anything like that, but the issue is once the discussion is there, the body of work of everyone responding starts to create a feeling or narrative of the second game.

Then once the discussion is going on all it takes is a poster or two having a lapse and posting spoiler type things in the heat of a discussion.
I don't think it's a spoiler to state that the 2nd game was an overly negative, bleak, and joyless experience for a lot of people.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-04-2023 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:49 AM   #1360
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Nver got the hate for Druckmann. There's this narrative out there that Druckmann is an idiot who constantly got saved by Straley, the storytelling hero ... okay then.
I think a lot of that "hate" for Druckmann is long-simmering issues with Naughty Dog as a whole that got pinned on Druckmann, whether he's the culprit or not.

I think it started with the allegation that he and Straley pushed Amy Hennig out of Naughty Dog in 2014, after the release of The Last of Us while work on the fourth Uncharted game was already underway. Almost everything Hennig had done on Uncharted 4 was unceremoniously thrown out and Straley and Druckmann took over. The credited author of the IGN article that made these allegations in the first place has since revealed he didn't even write the piece and it was a complete fabrication, but that hasn't stopped a lot of people from believing it to be true.

After Straley left Naughty Dog in 2017 and Druckmann was promoted to co-president of the entire company, it was easy to feed this into a conspiratorial plot that Druckmann pushed other senior creative people at the company out for his own personal gain. Neither Hennig nor Straley getting any "based on characters created by" credit in the Uncharted movie and The Last of Us TV series continues to fuel a narrative that Druckmann is a egomaniac who takes credit for others' work.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote