Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2020, 05:53 AM   #61
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
One series I would like to re-watch in it's entirety would be the 04 one against the Wings. I was at Game 6 and even tho it ended 1-0 it was one of the most exciting games I can ever remember. The sheer thrill of seeing Gelinas score in OT, but also remember Conroy playing with the cage to start the series and Iginla fighting Hatcher. The fact no one gave us a chance and we were able to pull off the upset.
You did get to see an amazing game with both goalies (Kipper and Joseph) being the stars of the game. It was the 2nd straight game that the Flames won 1-0. Conroy scored the lone goal in the previous game and Kipper had 2 straight shutouts stopping all 69 shots in the two games!

The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 09:24 AM   #62
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's insane that people blamed Cujo for that series loss for the Wings considering he allowed only 2 goals in the last 2 games. Kipper was just absolute peak Kipper in that series.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #63
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sportsnet Pacific is showing the 1989 Flames cup win starting with Game 1 tonight.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:09 PM   #64
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
It's insane that people blamed Cujo for that series loss for the Wings considering he allowed only 2 goals in the last 2 games. Kipper was just absolute peak Kipper in that series.
The one year Kipper was almost unstoppable in the playoffs

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #65
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watchig the 1st game of the '89 Cup Finals. Just amazed at how good Fleury is as compared to Gaudreau. That's his rookie year and playing center and going into the boards and danger areas with some of the biggest players that the Canadiens had on their D.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #66
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Watchig the 1st game of the '89 Cup Finals. Just amazed at how good Fleury is as compared to Gaudreau. That's his rookie year and playing center and going into the boards and danger areas with some of the biggest players that the Canadiens had on their D.
Yup he deserves to be up in the rafters between Lanny and Iggy

calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:18 PM   #67
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
Yup he deserves to be up in the rafters between Lanny and Iggy

Not retiring MacInnis and Fleury is a joke. I hope they can rectify that. I mean MacInnis is retired in St. Louis!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:31 PM   #68
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
having a lot of fun watching this game, that I was at live but not sure I've really seen since

little Theo on a team full of stars and HOFers is the one getting double shifted on the PP

MacInnis Fleury
Roberts Nieuwendyk Loob

Ramage Fleury
Gilmour Otto Mullen
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:57 PM   #69
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
having a lot of fun watching this game, that I was at live but not sure I've really seen since

little Theo on a team full of stars and HOFers is the one getting double shifted on the PP

MacInnis Fleury
Roberts Nieuwendyk Loob

Ramage Fleury
Gilmour Otto Mullen
Ramage - what a great late addition. Wow! And a right handed shot, too! I was looking for that name as a second team to one of the post to put beside Regehr. The Flames were deep on their defensive lines and Crisp just kept rolling those 3 lines out! McInnis, McCrimmon, Macoun, Nattress, Ramage, Murzyn. It's too bad Suter suffered a broken jaw in the first round of the playoffs (I think he also got injured in the '86 playoffs as well). I don't even know who the other two or three fourth line D's were. It was just 3 big D-lines pounding and moving out players every shift. Then, add in Fleury as a pointman on the powerplay!

McInnis was a beast out there. Same with Loob and Mullen. Just loved Mullen from the first day he landed in Calgary. Otto, he's such an underrated centerman but he's one of the best faceoff guys the Flames have had.

And Vernon making those saves!!! What a contrast to Roy on the other end, who was no slouch!

Can't wait to watch Game 2 and the rest of that series, again!

Last edited by CSharp; 04-23-2020 at 12:01 AM.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:19 AM   #70
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Sportsnet Pacific is showing the 1989 Flames cup win starting with Game 1 tonight.
Anyway to watch these in the States? I've seen highlights from Games 1-6 throughout my life but never full games.
EastCoastFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:51 AM   #71
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

MacInnis Fleury
Roberts Nieuwendyk Loob

Ramage Fleury
Gilmour Otto Mullen
Yeah Suter was out and Fleury fill in the left point admirably

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:56 AM   #72
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames were deep on their defensive lines and Crisp just kept rolling those 3 lines out! McInnis, McCrimmon, Macoun, Nattress, Ramage, Murzyn. It's too bad Suter suffered a broken jaw in the first round of the playoffs (I think he also got injured in the '86 playoffs as well). I don't even know who the other two or three fourth line D's were. It was just 3 big D-lines pounding and moving out players every shift. Then, add in Fleury as a pointman on the powerplay!

McInnis was a beast out there. Same with Loob and Mullen. Just loved Mullen from the first day he landed in Calgary. Otto, he's such an underrated centerman but he's one of the best faceoff guys the Flames have had.

And Vernon making those saves!!! What a contrast to Roy on the other end, who was no slouch!

Can't wait to watch Game 2 and the rest of that series, again!
Yep, Suter was injured in the 2nd round of the 86 playoffs. He was in a brace because of stretched knee ligaments from a Messier hit. The 86 experience really helped Loob, Mullen, McInnis, and Otto in the 89 run. Vernon and Roy going head to head again, they were rookies 3 years earlier!

The 89 defense you listed is correct. I don't think there were any others besides the injured Suter. The 86 defense had 7 players plus the injured Suter.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:00 AM   #73
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastFlamesFan View Post
Anyway to watch these in the States? I've seen highlights from Games 1-6 throughout my life but never full games.
The NHL Network has shown the entirety of game 6 in the past. The most recent was exactly a month ago. https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...99#post7422299

Check the listings on that channel.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:04 AM   #74
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
Yep, Suter was injured in the 2nd round of the 86 playoffs. He was in a brace because of stretched knee ligaments from a Messier hit. The 86 experience really helped Loob, Mullen, McInnis, and Otto in the 89 run. Vernon and Roy going head to head again, they were rookies 3 years earlier!

The 89 defense you listed is correct. I don't think there were any others besides the injured Suter. The 86 defense had 7 players plus the injured Suter.
Ken Sabourin was the 7th d once Suter went down
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2020, 08:33 AM   #75
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Ken Sabourin was the 7th d once Suter went down
Came here to say this as well. I think he got a game in during the Vancouver series.

I'll give a plug to the other thread going on right now that is breaking down the 89 season on a day-by-day basis (we're at the end of December '88 right now, right prior to the New Years MTL matchup). So many good nuggets of information in there--specifically that Dana Murzyn wasn't even playing full time during the first 10ish games of the season as he was switching with Natress every few games. Seems like he didn't have the full trust of Crisp until around the 15th game of the season.

Edit (Link to the thread): https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=178681

Last edited by EastCoastFlamesFan; 04-23-2020 at 08:36 AM.
EastCoastFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote