Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2018, 09:56 AM   #401
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I'm not really sure how you can blame Mourinho though, he wanted at least one CB this summer, and Lindelof and Bailly have been abysmal.
who signed Lindelof and Bailly?
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:07 AM   #402
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

They look bad, but we’ll lose 1-0 to this next week, won’t we?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #403
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not really sure how you can blame Mourinho though, he wanted at least one CB this summer, and Lindelof and Bailly have been abysmal.
You mean the first two CBs that Mourinho “needed” at Man U and who he spent over $70M on?

I don’t blame the board for not giving him more money - his purchases haven’t been great for the most part.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #404
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You knew the season was done the minute they didn't back Mourinho in the transfer market. He gave them five players to sign and they needed at least that many signings. Mata and Young sucking on the right side like Mata and Darmian did last game. They get no help at centre back where they are weak.

Mourinho should just quit this farce team that is more concerned with the profit margin than putting a good team on the pitch.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #405
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
You knew the season was done the minute they didn't back Mourinho in the transfer market. He gave them five players to sign and they needed at least that many signings. Mata and Young sucking on the right side like Mata and Darmian did last game. They get no help at centre back where they are weak.

Mourinho should just quit this farce team that is more concerned with the profit margin than putting a good team on the pitch.
Mourinho could have bought Varane, Modric and Mbappe this summer and they'd still suck.

He's the problem, not the board.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #406
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
You mean the first two CBs that Mourinho “needed” at Man U and who he spent over $70M on?

I don’t blame the board for not giving him more money - his purchases haven’t been great for the most part.
Oh no doubt, he really hasn't made one signing you'd call great. But if they weren't gonna back him to fix his errors, they should have just sacked him rather than wasting another season.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #407
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mourinho has lost the room. Not a fan of him and I'll celebrate when he finally leaves this club, but my god, what a spineless bunch. Body language, motivation, fighting spirit ... non-existent. Tells you everything you need to know about the character of those players.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #408
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Zidane is waiting for this job.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:04 AM   #409
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t know if he wasn’t backed though. He’s spent loads of money on players. In January it was Alexis and this summer they brought in Fred (no idea why) and wasn’t there someone else there? It’s laughable that they have about 6-7 CM players and surely they’re not all going to be happy (particularly under Mourinho who seems to have conflicts with his team anyway), but to say the board hasn’t backed him seems questionable.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #410
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Mourinho has lost the room. Not a fan of him and I'll celebrate when he finally leaves this club, but my god, what a spineless bunch. Body language, motivation, fighting spirit ... non-existent. Tells you everything you need to know about the character of those players.
Tells me that Moirinho isn't the problem. I don't like his style of play but they won't give him the players to play the way he coaches. Don't hire the guy if you don't want his style. Any idiot off the street could tell you how he has coached his entire highly successful career. You can't have lazy pieces of crap like Martial and Mata on a team that the coach wants hard work from everyone.

When they do can him they will find out that lazy players are lazy no matter what style they play. Way too many losers on the team. This ownership group is incapable of fixing it as well. Completely clueless. They better hope the new manager of football is good or they are going to go into a tailspin.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #411
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
to say the board hasn’t backed him seems questionable.
not just questionable, it's flat out wrong. Mourinho's been allowed to spend a ####load of money, that's not the issue. The issue is that it's been spent poorly and/or they haven't performed well under Mourinho.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #412
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tells me that Moirinho isn't the problem. I don't like his style of play but they won't give him the players to play the way he coaches. Don't hire the guy if you don't want his style. Any idiot off the street could tell you how he has coached his entire highly successful career. You can't have lazy pieces of crap like Martial and Mata on a team that the coach wants hard work from everyone.

When they do can him they will find out that lazy players are lazy no matter what style they play. Way too many losers on the team. This ownership group is incapable of fixing it as well. Completely clueless. They better hope the new manager of football is good or they are going to go into a tailspin.
They look like Bayern under Ancelotti. Or Chelsea under Mourinho. Turns out things did improve after those teams canned the manager.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #413
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Man U looked flat and lacked creativity. Takes off Martial and replaced with Fellani - doesn't inspire much of an offensive push. The right side options for United are terrible. They've had more than enough $$$ to fix some of the glaring weaknesses.

While Sanchez is a very good player, they didn't need him per say with Rashford and Martial. It's almost like the Flames with excess at LW.

Fred cost between 90 to 100 million CAD and will turn out to be a good player but again an area with excess. Hopefully this is just a game where they fell flat and will figure things out but there's no way this team is even close to competing with City.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #414
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don’t know if he wasn’t backed though. He’s spent loads of money on players. In January it was Alexis and this summer they brought in Fred (no idea why) and wasn’t there someone else there? It’s laughable that they have about 6-7 CM players and surely they’re not all going to be happy (particularly under Mourinho who seems to have conflicts with his team anyway), but to say the board hasn’t backed him seems questionable.
I don't think you are paying attention. The board not backing him has been discussed ad nauseam all summer transfer window. He has been complaining non stop about it for weeks. They are hiring a new director of football which is a direct slap in the face to him. Only reason they haven't fired him is they too cheap to do so. He gets like a 12 million dollar payout if the do it / they are hoping he quits.

He said last week that their decision to not give him the players he asked for means they are in for a long difficult season.

This is going to be a ugly breakup. Not going to help either as they still don't have the players to challenge for the title. Been a stinking disaster from the moment Sir Alex hung them up and showing no signs of changing soon.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #415
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

United have Spurs at home next so it could get really ugly, really fast if they lose that one.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #416
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fire him now. Hire Zidane.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #417
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
United have Spurs at home next so it could get really ugly, really fast if they lose that one.
It's to me inevitable that they can Mourinho. He wants to be fired and they want him gone but are too cheap to pull the plug. But a couple of more losses along with the continuing sagas of the Board vrs Jose, players vrs Jose and they will have no choice.

Jose has lost all joy in coaching / really obvious that he would rather be elsewhere . Manchester United has become all about the corporation and lost its way as well. Such a proud franchise who heck even when they win don't inspire us anymore.

Wrong kind of owners and the wrong type of coach. Plus a team of non Manchester United players. Been a few tough years and this one I hope they finally hit rock bottom. Cause I'd sure like to have a real Manchester United team back.
The Following User Says Thank You to St. Pats For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 11:47 AM   #418
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The board not backing him has been discussed ad nauseam all summer transfer window. He has been complaining non stop about it for weeks. They are hiring a new director of football which is a direct slap in the face to him.
please enlighten me as to how Mourinho hasn't been backed by the board. He's overseen three summer windows and two winter windows, and he's been allowed to spend around £315m (around €350m) on new players. And that doesn't include Ibrahimovic, who was paid a ransom - and that doesn't include Sanchez, who is being paid a ransom. How exactly hasn't he been backed? He was allowed to break the world record two years ago and he has been granted several other big money transfers since. Him complaining does nothing to me, he complains about literally everything. It's not that the board hasn't backed him, it's just that the board refuses to just burn money and simply give in to his short-sighted strategy.

Hiring a Director of Football is long overdue and absolutely the right decision. The current situation was fine when they still had Sir Alex, who was simply a legend and the best manager of all time - of course you'd give him full power. But given the three Stooges that they have had since, it's honestly shocking that it's taken them so long to realize that a new approach is desperately needed. A competent DoF can't come soon enough, and a player-coach like Zidane would be the perfect fit to work alongside that new hiring.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #419
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
please enlighten me as to how Mourinho hasn't been backed by the board. He's overseen three summer windows and two winter windows, and he's been allowed to spend around £315m (around €350m) on new players. And that doesn't include Ibrahimovic, who was paid a ransom - and that doesn't include Sanchez, who is being paid a ransom. How exactly hasn't he been backed? He was allowed to break the world record two years ago and he has been granted several other big money transfers since. Him complaining does nothing to me, he complains about literally everything. It's not that the board hasn't backed him, it's just that the board refuses to just burn money and simply give in to his short-sighted strategy.

Hiring a Director of Football is long overdue and absolutely the right decision. The current situation was fine when they still had Sir Alex, who was simply a legend and the best manager of all time - of course you'd give him full power. But given the three Stooges that they have had since, it's honestly shocking that it's taken them so long to realize that a new approach is desperately needed. A competent DoF can't come soon enough, and a player-coach like Zidane would be the perfect fit to work alongside that new hiring.
They refuse to give in to his short sighted strategy / well that is what your coach is asking for and complaining about. He wanted a striker and he got a good one and he wanted midfield and that was provided. So he moves on to the next glaringly obvious weakness and they say no. Call it whatever you want but they have decided to not back him. They get destroyed by a team which has spent and spent and they add one player. So does Man City.

So yes that is what the coach wants and they haven't backed him. I mean they back the guy and then pull the plug just when it seemed he was getting them somewhere. I'd rather they played the football we played under Sir Alex but then why did the clowns hire the three managers in the first place? They don't know what they are doing!

I think the only good thing is Woodward et. al. have realized they are incompetent boobs and will try and hire someone with a brain to run the club while they stick to selling souvenirs.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #420
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So he moves on to the next glaringly obvious weakness and they say no.
probably because he was already allowed to sign two CBs and it's done nothing for them. Look, I'd be happy to fire the whole CB gang into the sun, but Mourinho has helped build that CB corps. He signed Lindelöf and Bailly, he accepted giving Rojo a new contract and he's been unwilling to sell Smalling and Jones.

Look, you can't just go full short-term. Swapping the likes of Martial for 30-somethings is not smart business.

Quote:
why did the clowns hire the three managers in the first place? They don't know what they are doing!
no objection here.