Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Default Good win for the Flames over Iowa

Krahn sharp, especially in the shootout.

I like how Brandon Prust is rounding out his game.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Ranchlander
Scoring Winger

Exp:

And someone actually scored other than Stevenson or Kolanos. I think its time to give Krahn the call and let McElhinney get a few games in in QC.
Ranchlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchlander View Post
And someone actually scored other than Stevenson or Kolanos. I think its time to give Krahn the call and let McElhinney get a few games in in QC.
Stevenson has credit for the second goal on the scoresheet. I thought Germyn had it.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
Ranchlander
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Stevenson has credit for the second goal on the scoresheet. I thought Germyn had it.
My point is just that those 2 guys have been carrying that team on the scoresheet pretty much all year. Van Der Gulik, Prust, and Chucko put up points once in while but it would be nice to see some more guys score with a little more regularity.
Ranchlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Thought it was a spirited effort after from what I gather was a players-only team meeting.

Part of the process involves players figuring things out themselves as much as guidance from coaching staff.

Let's hope they keep it up.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:01 AM   #6
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchlander View Post
I think its time to give Krahn the call and let McElhinney get a few games in in QC.
I'd be ok with that actually.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
SparkyOne
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Thought it was a spirited effort after from what I gather was a players-only team meeting.

Part of the process involves players figuring things out themselves as much as guidance from coaching staff.

Let's hope they keep it up.
And I like that McGill, as much as he comes down on these guys, also gives them credit...

Quote:
"We've been through some adversity the last five periods," QC coach Ryan McGill said. "The guys had to learn to push ahead and move forward, and they did that all on their own, and did a good job doing it."
The meeting Friday night lasted probably 15 minutes. Chucko was supposed to sign autographs immediately after the game, but it was more than 15 minutes til he came out.

I, too, hope this is the start of the stretch turnaround!! When these guys actually play together and get their feet moving, the potential is there to beat anyone.
SparkyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
Drunk Skunk
Obscure Jersey Wiz

Exp:

A couple of fights from last night -

Pelech/Westgarth
Peters/Crombeen

Minor league attitude, major league pain
Drunk Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

Watched the game last night and a couple of things stand out to me. The team this year looks eerily similar to the inaugural team in Omaha. Not a lot of offensive skill or creativity, just grind it out and muck it up. The loss of Taratukhin really takes away from the offense.

Some of the second year guys look like they are still adjusting to the pro game. Chucko should be a senior in college and is still struggling to find consistency. On a couple of rushes he looks like he can play, on others he looks like he's just earning a paycheck. Van der Gulik just doesn't look to have the same fire as last year. Maybe things came a little too easy for him last year, he's been given a larger role on the team and he's having a hard time adjusting.

The defense is very young. Hambly is the old man on the team and he's in his 4th year as a pro. Palin (3rd), Ramholt (2nd in N.A.), Pardy (3rd), and the rookies (Pelech, Baldwin, Cole) aren't doing too bad of a job. The groundwork for a solid defense for the next five years is being done this year.

It's too bad the QC fans didn't have last year's team. Taratukhin and Boyd leading the offense, McElhinney dominating in net, and a much more experience group on the blue line. The departure of Ryder really set this team back offensively but the team is better without him if his heart wasn't in it. The wait for additional offense may be a couple more years away. It's up to guys like Chucko and Van der Gulik to take the necessary steps to provide more offense for the team.
Tilley is online now   Reply With Quote