Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #1861
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

That makes no sense. Madrid is not until May.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:23 AM   #1862
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
That makes no sense. Madrid is not until May.
The kid has charisma, there is no doubt and fans want to see him. You know Denis will be there as he has major points to defend from last year.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #1863
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I mean Isner being the top men's player for the US is why women's tennis is more popular in the US. Nobody enjoys watching a guy reach a final without a single set where he won the minimum six games. He's gonna be the second choice Sunday regardless of who he plays.
The Williams sisters is why women's tennis is more popular in the US. Americans cheer for winners, and their men's program hasn't produced any since Sampras and Agasi.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:10 AM   #1864
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
The kid has charisma, there is no doubt and fans want to see him. You know Denis will be there as he has major points to defend from last year.
I mean, FAA is now ranked 33, is that not good enough to get into Madrid in May? I did not realize that commitments had to be so much in advance.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #1865
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, FAA is now ranked 33, is that not good enough to get into Madrid in May? I did not realize that commitments had to be so much in advance.
Yes, you are right Girly, it definitely should be. Maybe it's a ploy to generate ticket sales, get word of mouth going etc.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:43 PM   #1866
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You wonder if Felix can overtake Denis right now, given what they have to defend. Denis has 360 points to defend in Madrid and Felix has 300 to defend in Rio, so they're about even there.

Beyond that, Felix is pretty much all challengers, which you'd think he won't be playing this year, so he only needs one more good run to recoup all of those points. Meanwhile Denis needs defend the round of 16 at all of Cincy, Rome and Toronto, round of 32 at Wimbledon and round of 64 at each of Roland Garros, Paris and Shanghai just to stay where he is. Even if he improves on a couple of results he doesn't look to have as much room to move as Felix does, especially if you assume that Felix is going to have a better clay season just due to his style of play. Felix could very well pass him.

I guess you could argue that Shapo's improved serving consistency will get him more points on grass this summer... We'll see.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #1867
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Kinda nice having to debate which of our three top-40 tennis players will be Canada's #1 at year's end rather than which might crack the top 100.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #1868
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully soon it will be 4 in the top 50

https://twitter.com/user/status/1112815482170630144
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #1869
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Hopefully soon it will be 4 in the top 50

https://twitter.com/user/status/1112815482170630144
Thanks for posting that tweet, NF. That is really good news as it appears Vasek's recovery from back surgery is ahead of schedule. I think top 50 might be ambitious, but how about Vasek and Brayden making it five Canadians in the top 100?!? I think that's doable.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #1870
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

By the way, Felix to no surprise is your ATP mover of the week and he along with Denis and Greek Yogourt all reach career high rankings as of today.

No. 33 (Career High) Felix Auger-Aliassime, +24
The 18-year-old Canadian continued his impressive start to the 2019 ATP Tour season by reaching his first ATP Masters 1000 semi-final at the Miami Open presented by Itau. Auger-Aliassime, who now owns a 14-7 tour-level record this season, defeated three seeded opponents en route to the last four in Florida.

No. 20 (Career High) Denis Shapovalov, +3
The 19-year-old Canadian has now reached a Masters 1000 semi-final in each of the past three ATP Tour seasons, following runs to the last four in Canada (2017) and Madrid (2018). At the Miami Open presented by Itau, Shapovalov defeated Daniel Evans, Andrey Rublev, Stefanos Tsitsipas and Frances Tiafoe to join countryman Auger-Aliassime in the semi-finals. A straight-sets loss to eventual champion Roger Federer followed, but Shapovalov's semi-final run confirmed his place inside the Top 20 of the ATP Rankings for the first time.

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/auge...s-1-april-2019
Old 04-01-2019, 03:16 PM   #1871
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Thanks for posting that tweet, NF. That is really good news as it appears Vasek's recovery from back surgery is ahead of schedule. I think top 50 might be ambitious, but how about Vasek and Brayden making it five Canadians in the top 100?!? I think that's doable.
I would love to see Vasek back and playing singles and yes lets hope he can make the top 100 again along with Brayden, I'm going to be routing for them! I'll always remember Vaseks run at the Rogers Cup where he lost to Milos in the semis. He would make a very welcomed edition to Canadas Davis Cup team especially in doubles.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #1872
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm getting ahead of myself, but has any Canadian won the singles at the Rogers Cup? I think this might be the year. We have a great crop. Milos, Shapo, Felix, Pops and Bianca. Could this be the year?
Old 04-01-2019, 11:32 PM   #1873
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
I'm getting ahead of myself, but has any Canadian won the singles at the Rogers Cup? I think this might be the year. We have a great crop. Milos, Shapo, Felix, Pops and Bianca. Could this be the year?
Not since 1970 when it became a professional event.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2019, 08:46 AM   #1874
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1113248797176532992
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #1875
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I've been whining about it all year and it really is amazing that players are not more up in arms about it. Every event should be forced to comply to the same rules for drawing their rankings. For me, 2-3 weeks seems more than fair. Right now, some events are 3 weeks, some are 4 and evidently some are now months in advance.

I'm sure this affects numerous players, but Felix has been top 60 or higher since the February 25th rankings were released. We are talking 10 weeks at that point and this is somehow not good enough to gain direct entry by pulling his current rankings???
Old 04-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #1876
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

FAA moving to Monaco.

Way to give Canada the middle finger after they supported you for a decade. Shapo/Raonic/Genie too, but I guess this is just normal considering how high our taxes on high earners are.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #1877
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
FAA moving to Monaco.

Way to give Canada the middle finger after they supported you for a decade. Shapo/Raonic/Genie too, but I guess this is just normal considering how high our taxes on high earners are.
It's also where they will get Spanish coaching on clay. And it must makes travel easier as most tournaments are in Europe.

As long as they represent Canada, I don't care where they live.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #1878
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's also where they will get Spanish coaching on clay. And it must makes travel easier as most tournaments are in Europe.

As long as they represent Canada, I don't care where they live.
Okay all true but we all know he is doing it to not pay taxes.

Not going to make this thread political but it's still a dick move.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #1879
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eh. I'm sure he will still support Canadian tennis and play at Canadian events, while increasing the profile of the sport in this country. Wouldn't be surprised if he also donated his time and money to Canadian causes / charities. As long as he does all of that stuff, I don't consider it giving Canada the middle finger at all.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #1880
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to single out a Canadian tennis player giving Canada a middle finger, it starts and ends with Greg Rusedski.
Closed Thread