Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #421
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
This doesn't make sense to me, but I guess the OIlers don't have a Tereveinen to attach to him to ship him off somewhere.

1.3 million dollar cap hit for the next 4 years on a buyout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Pouliot buyout is stupid from the Oilers IMO.

Now they he a $1.3M hit in the first 3 years of McDavid raise and the years where they will need all that cap space to extend players.

Would have been way better off paying the cost to trade him somewhere and just retain $2M for this season. You can tell me there wasn't a market for him at $2M if they attach a 2nd or 3rd rounder to him. Or worst case just waive him and have the $3.1M cap hit this year.

That $1.3M is going to suck in the 2019 offseason when you are trying to extend Talbot.
Agree - made this post in the trade speculation thread. Just makes no sense to me overall.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:38 AM   #422
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think that's the prevailing sentiment here. Around the league not so much.
I really don't think the media writers out east really follow the western teams in depth. I would wager to bet few if any realize what a sweetheart home schedule the Oilers had last season and while some of them have picked up on how they have overplayed Talbot I believe few of them realize that he's been arguably just as important to the team's success as McDavid. They just see McDavid and start going goo goo gaga.

I don't believe for a second the Oilers will fall back into the pack of bad teams in the conference like the Coyotes, Canucks, Avalanche but to me they are in a dead heat with teams like the Sharks, Flames, Predators, Blues and it's very possible one or two of those teams lose a playoff spot to the Stars or even Jets, Kings if they manage to turn things around. I could see them finishing 9th just easy as finishing 1st in the division as IMO the Ducks are the only team in the Pacific that should be a lock for the playoffs. I just have a hard time seeing things come together for them like last season where they never lost a key forward to injury all season and Talbot plays all those games at the level he did last season. Too many things to me point to a bit of a decline and that's without my Flames goggles.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-29-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #423
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

that kind of makes sense though

The NFL in 2016 bought in about 13 billion in total revenues
MLB 9.5 Billion
NBA 4.89
NHL 3.78

So of course there's going to be a marked difference in those salaries.

If the NHL could shrink their rosters from the current number down to about 10 players and 2 goalies think of how much they could pay their stars.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:40 AM   #424
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
$1.333 On the cap for the next 4 years.
Hahaha, awesome. So there are the "savings" that McNugget graciously gave the team.

Stupid Oilers gonna Oil.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #425
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
$1.333 On the cap for the next 4 years.

Insane to me that Those Guys couldn't get GMGM to snap up Pouliot for some kind of reasonable asset..doubly so with the D Vegas picked painting a puzzling picture as to where GR slots in long term.

He'd be a warm body who would have fit perfectly with their commitment to being terrible in the near term
Old 06-29-2017, 10:44 AM   #426
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

At half retained, plus a small sweetener, a trade should have been possible, no?
2 M hit first year of McDavid new contract, but none after instead of extending the 1.33 for 3 years of it.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #427
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
If the NHL could shrink their rosters from the current number down to about 10 players and 1 goalie think of how much they could pay their stars.

Chiaaaa is that you?

Maybe he's ahead of the curve with all of this
Old 06-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #428
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

What, Chiapet couldn't trade Pouliot to Pittsburgh for Crosby with Pittsburgh retaining all of Sids salary!?!?!?

What happened to players wanting to play in Edmonton for nothing just to play with McJesus? Sorry Coiler fans.
Realistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:05 AM   #429
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't believe for a second the Oilers will fall back into the pack of bad teams in the conference like the Coyotes, Canucks, Avalanche but to me they are in a dead heat with teams like the Sharks, Flames, Predators, Blues and it's very possible one or two of those teams lose a playoff spot to the Stars or even Jets, Kings if they manage to turn things around. I could see them finishing 9th just easy as finishing 1st in the division as IMO the Ducks are the only team in the Pacific that should be a lock for the playoffs. I just have a hard time seeing things come together for them like last season where they never lost a key forward to injury all season and Talbot plays all those games at the level he did last season. Too many things to me point to a bit of a decline and that's without my Flames goggles.
I don't believe the Oilers are going to drop through the floor and back into the lottery pick area (and if they do the NHL should strip their franchise rights and hold a draft of their players)

but at the same time, as much as Eberle was a soft bag of poo, losing him takes 20 goals and 30 assists away. Strome might become more then he is, but right now he looks like an Aaron Gavey style risk, but he's not going to replace that offense.

The big one is losing Sekeras until Jan is huge, and the Oilers really aren't in the position to sign a long term big dollar free agent to take his place.

The Oilers aren't going to be that much difference in personal, from last year, but you suddenly take out a Eberle on offense and a Sekeras on defense and we're talking a whole different scenario here.

As well the Oilers are standing on that banana peel of Cam Talbot who played 73 games and had a huge year in terms of stats. And the Oilers don't have much behind him if he falters or goes down for any length of time.

Guys like Maroon and Klefbom had out of the stats rail line career years. Letestu had what would be a monster year for him at the age of 32.

When you even take a look at injuries for the Oilers last year, the only guys that had real significant time missed were Davidson and Nurse, They didn't miss any time with their I'd say top 6 or top 4 defensemen through the season.
(Just going by NHLinjuryviz).

This is a team that outside of hopeful player progression is probably going to score a bit less, struggle a bit more defensively and have to lean a little bit more on Talbot to get by.

I would argue that we need to see how the teams around the Oilers improve themselves throughout the off season as the Oilers might not be able to do much.

Just looking at Calgary's activity, you can argue that Smith could bring more consistancy to the goaltending area and has far better tangible skills in terms of puck handling. Adding Hamonic to their top 4 is a big improvement as well.

Arizona might not be easy points either. So even a small slip in points might be really devastating to the Oilers.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:52 PM   #430
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It would be foolish for Draisaitl not to drag this out for as long as he can, first of all to make sure on July 1st that his agent can talk to every team in the NHL. I also by stretching it out and saying nein a lot it puts the pressure on Chia to get a deal done before training camp opens.

there's really no losing for Draisaitl if he wants 9 million bucks to keep this rolling up to the end of the first week of training camp.

Doesn't he also have the option of playing in Europe, can that not be a strong leverage point.

NSFW!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #431
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I don't think the oilers really expected to make the playoffs last year.

I look at the lucic contract like the wideman contract (but worse). When Calgary signed him and he was terrible, it didn't really matter too much because hey, what else are the flames going to spend money on.

In the final 2 years of his contract though he was an absolute anchor; a significant obstacle towards fielding a better roster. The worst part was there was absolutely nothing the Flames could do about it. A buyout would've been too costly and trading him wasn't an option because of his rock bottom low value and his NMC.

The entire organization was in a holding pattern for 700+ days, during some of their emerging players most productive years.

This is what is staring the Oilers in the face with Lucic, a guy who last year I thought clearly looked as though he had lost a step, and who in the playoffs looked like his physicality was marginalized because of that lack of footspeed. Can't hit what you can't catch.

You look at a team like Vancouver with Eriksson, another bad contract. However, it's an example similar to the wideman deal. That team is so bad it doesn't matter.

THe oilers basically shot themselves in the foot immediately after acquiring a franchise or generational player.

The only way out of that deal will be by packaging significant assets with it, or buy lucking into a compliance buyout.

Lucic may not be awful but he's going to be an anchor on that team for years barring a miracle.
Thanks. I guess one difference is that I don't really believe Wideman was ever all that good. I seem to remember either healthy playoff scratches with Boston or Washington, or atleast serious criticism of his play. Lucic has been a better player IMO. But all your points are well taken. I didn't necessarily think he was that bad this year but surprised he didn't look better in the playoffs.

No doubt without a growing cap, that contract is real trouble. But maybe he still helps the team in the short term.

Anyway as a Flames fan, it's a good deal for us. The negatives outweigh the positives.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:57 PM   #432
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

On that other board, some guy is posting that McDavid has actually signed an 11x8 deal with the Oilers and Draisaitl's camp are being jerks.

And a bunch of Oiler fans are completely praying its true.

Thanks I'll take TSN's and Sportsnets word over some guy who starts the post with "Take this with a grain of salt but a little birdy told me that . . . "

Old 06-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #433
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks I'll take TSN's and Sportsnets word over some guy who starts the post with "Take this with a grain of salt but a little birdy told me that . . . "
What, you don't believe he took a 2-3 mil haircut, and went full term just for the good of the Copper & Blue?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:57 PM   #434
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
On that other board, some guy is posting that McDavid has actually signed an 11x8 deal with the Oilers and Draisaitl's camp are being jerks.

And a bunch of Oiler fans are completely praying its true.

Hilarious stuff. McDavid is also apparently very upset with Draisaitl for not following suit and choosing to leave millions of career earnings on the table like he just did. It is like a soap opera over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:45 PM   #435
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was posted under the McDavid thread on HF this aft (post #203) too good not to share!

Quote:
Take this with a grain of salt, but a little Birdy just told me that McDavid has already been agreed at under 11x8. His camp's first ask was for 12x5.

Same Birdy told me that Drai is the problem right now, and his camp not willing to negotiate much. He also mentioned there was a little animosity between McDavid and Drai's camp due to McDavid leaving cash on the table while Drai wasn't. He mentioned Drai's agent was a little pissed that Drai was sent down rookie causing him to be one less year from UFA while they did opposite to Pull.

This same Birdy told me exact details of Lucic signing before it happened as well that they were NOT going to sign Demers. This was the evening after they did the new arena tour.

Believe or not but passing the info on.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:56 PM   #436
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

So McDavid, the next one / best player in the nhl / MVP etc etc asks for 12 mill per year for 5 years and coilers say NO! you'll get 11 and we'll also add 3 years on top of that? Cuz you know they had all the leverage?....Not buying it.

The deal may turn out be 11 x 8 but theres no way his original ask was 12 x 5.

Why do they have to be announced together or negotiated together? oilers fans and their kool aid.

Last edited by Da_Chief; 06-29-2017 at 10:58 PM.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:02 AM   #437
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

My bad case of Connor McDavid envy has been cured!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:48 AM   #438
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That post was removed as it could not be substantiated. Good on their mods for not wanting to propagate BS like that. They have enough problems with being irrational so they should work on curbing crazy stuff like that.

I expect the Oilers to slide this year. They were nice enough to remind us about the unsustainability of the Flames' ability to win games late and such, and they were right in that regard. But I would like to remind those Oiler fans that it is highly unlikely that:

- Patrick Maroon will score 27 goals, almost tripling his previous career high.
- The defense of Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson, Russell, Nurse, Benning, and Gryba can repeat that performance from last season.
- Cam Talbot plays 73 games and maintains that performance level.
- Zach Kaissan will keep his #### together and play a full season.
- Ryan Strome will fill in for the lost offense of Jordan Eberle.
- Mark Letestu repeats last year's performance.
- Leon Draisaitl will be half as effective without McJesus, and be able to carry a line.
- They will have as soft a schedule and the favor of so many back halves of the Alberta back-to-back.

I'm going to say they'll be good for 6-8 more losses and be closer to a .500 team than challenging for the division. What they did last year just isn't sustainable.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #439
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
That post was removed as it could not be substantiated. Good on their mods for not wanting to propagate BS like that. They have enough problems with being irrational so they should work on curbing crazy stuff like that.

I expect the Oilers to slide this year. They were nice enough to remind us about the unsustainability of the Flames' ability to win games late and such, and they were right in that regard. But I would like to remind those Oiler fans that it is highly unlikely that:

I'd be ok with this. i got a soft spot for guys getting their #### together and over coming addiction.

Also Edmonton is No Good.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:20 AM   #440
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

- Patrick Maroon will score 27 goals, almost tripling his previous career high.
- The defense of Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson, Russell, Nurse, Benning, and Gryba can repeat that performance from last season.
- Cam Talbot plays 73 games and maintains that performance level.
- Ryan Strome will fill in for the lost offense of Jordan Eberle.
- Mark Letestu repeats last year's performance.
- Leon Draisaitl will be half as effective without McJesus, and be able to carry a line.
- They will have as soft a schedule and the favor of so many back halves of the Alberta back-to-back.

I'm going to say they'll be good for 6-8 more losses and be closer to a .500 team than challenging for the division. What they did last year just isn't sustainable.
Sekeras probably won't be back until December or Janurary.

Losing Eberle and Sekeras are big blows. On top of that as useless as Poulliot is he's still a top 9 forward for them.

I think that the downgrades so far, plus the unsustainable events from last year are really going to hurt the Oilers.