Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #261
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
San Jose is so well positioned to make an offer sheet on Leon
There are a lot of teams that could which is why an offer sheet seems like it could come. Teams will be salivating at getting a ready made player like Drai, SALIVATING
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #262
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
I don't know if thrilled is the right word, satisfied but thrilled would be if he signed for 10
Isn't 8 max term? Maybe I'm wrong. We'd be thrilled to get this deal if he was on our team, it could have been worse for them. He takes max term but not max dollars, they should be happy.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #263
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Term is way too long. I blame the kid's agent who is just looking to cash in. Where are his parents in this? Could they actually like Edmonton??
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #264
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really all you need to do is get Draisaitl to agree to 3-4 years. Which is enough to stretch the Oilers as all their other contracts come up (Talbot namely).

Offer him $36M over 4 years or $27 over 3 for a $9M cap hit.

Costs you 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd and you get another chance to ink him long term as an RFA still when his current contract expires.

Hard for the Oilers because it screws up their cap situation when they need it the most, and they don't get cost certainty because they need to sign him to another contract that will need to be at UFA value.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #265
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Isn't 8 max term? Maybe I'm wrong. We'd be thrilled to get this deal if he was on our team, it could have been worse for them. He takes max term but not max dollars, they should be happy.
I'm talking about salary here not term. I wouldn't be thrilled with that contract but satisfied if I was an Oiler fan. I would also be praying that an offer sheet does not come for Drai.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #266
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't think Draisatl has proved enough yet to sign the huge payday. I also think that NHL GMs agree. Is Draisatl really worth Patrick Kane money? I think an offer sheet tops him out at $8 million. The Oil will swallow that.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:22 PM   #267
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
You can sign your own free agents to eight-year deals. The maximum for signing someone else's free agent is seven years.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:22 PM   #268
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
I'm talking about salary here not term. I wouldn't be thrilled with that contract but satisfied if I was an Oiler fan. I would also be praying that an offer sheet does not come for Drai.
Ah makes sense re: term vs. dollars, thought you meant term. 10 wasn't a realistic number to expect though, I think they made out as well as could have been conceived on this deal, and they have McDavid to build around. Of course that creates it's own challenges given the cap space you need to give to that type of player, but it's a nice problem to have, I doubt the Pens minded having to navigate those waters.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #269
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am expecting the Oilers to offer a bridge contract to Draisatl, and get around the short term cap crunch that way
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #270
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ah makes sense re: term vs. dollars, thought you meant term. 10 wasn't a realistic number to expect though, I think they made out as well as could have been conceived on this deal, and they have McDavid to build around. Of course that creates it's own challenges given the cap space you need to give to that type of player, but it's a nice problem to have, I doubt the Pens minded having to navigate those waters.
Well I wouldn't compare this current Oiler team to other teams of the past. Their cap situation is entirely different as is the landscape of the league.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #271
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
I am expecting the Oilers to offer a bridge contract to Draisatl, and get around the short term cap crunch that way
there's no way a (close to) PPG center has to take a bridge deal.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #272
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Bridge deal or offer sheet with term? I know what I would be picking
Old 06-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #273
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
I don't think Draisatl has proved enough yet to sign the huge payday. I also think that NHL GMs agree. Is Draisatl really worth Patrick Kane money? I think an offer sheet tops him out at $8 million. The Oil will swallow that.
I look at a team like Florida who has been re-building for years, has a great young core, cap space, but could use that extra piece to help them take the next step.

If ownership was willing I feel like a 3 year deal at $8.5-$9M is a no brainer.

Pretty much all of their young core is locked up so they don't have to worry about a offer sheet in response.

They have stock piled and drafted a ton of prospects in the last couple years so they have the prospect depth and young players needed to make it happen.

For Florida if he doesn't take the next step you don't have a 7/8 year deal holding you back. If he becomes a true #1 center then re-signing him in 3 years is a great problem to have, and you could still move him to try to easily recoup your picks.

For Draisaitl you get to go to a Florida team that has the lowest tax rate in the NHL, you get another chance for a huge payday a year before UFA in 3 years, and you still get to play with damn good young players like Ekblad, Barkov, Huberdeau, Trochek, etc

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-28-2017 at 01:53 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 02:17 PM   #274
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account @TSNRyanRishaug 3m3 minutes ago
More
My sense is Draisaitl ask on an 8 year deal could push 9m per season. Oilers I'd guess would think 7-8 range based on comps

Oh please please please be true.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #275
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I would want to hand him an 8 year deal unless he takes a discount as that's too much risk especially with all the money tied into McDavid.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #276
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't think I would want to hand him an 8 year deal unless he takes a discount as that's too much risk especially with all the money tied into McDavid.
Then they will lose him to a 7 year offer sheet, or have to match it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #277
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The funny part is that Draisaitl is getting paid because of McDavid.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #278
Jeromer2.0
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The funny part is that Draisaitl is getting paid because of McDavid.
I'm thinking it may have something to do with him finishing in the Top 10 in scoring and his playoff performance. Oilers better get something done by Friday otherwise an offer sheet is all but certain.
Jeromer2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:34 PM   #279
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account @TSNRyanRishaug 3m3 minutes ago
More
My sense is Draisaitl ask on an 8 year deal could push 9m per season. Oilers I'd guess would think 7-8 range based on comps

Oh please please please be true.
EDM better hope that duo is the real deal and good enough to carry a not deep team to success if so. They're not going to be able to sign any expensive players to skate on their wings for a while aside from the guys they already have under contract or reclamation projects willing to sign for cheap. 22.25 mil is a #### load to commit to two players.

Having seen McDavid in playoff mode, I don't know if they are. Leon looks more like a big game player than their $13 million golden boy. Hence the 9M rumours.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:34 PM   #280
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Loving that the Oilers have to sign these guys at the worst possible time. McDavid after getting MVP and Drai after playing on his wing. This has been refreshing week after all the "McDavid at $10M, Drai at $7M (cuz they want to win here, duh), start lining up dem cups!" noise being made by their fans.

Defensemen are expensive, but big, PPG centers are like unicorns, Drai has a lot of power to squeeeeeeeeeeze.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote