Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2023, 12:00 AM   #241
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Does anyone log their progress?

I just kinda do my thing, but I wouldn't mind an app that would log my workouts.
For weight training, it's definitely a great idea.
I use the app "Strong".

It helps me remember my weight & reps so when I come back to an muscle group 3-4 days later I know my targets and can add progressive overload.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 02:14 PM   #242
JMN
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone have experience or thoughts around TUT Trainer?

I have a stationary bike with dumbbells and a bench, but am looking for a cable machine that won't use too much space to further help with my workouts. I'm not a huge guy and my goal is just to stay healthy.

https://tuttrainer.ca/

It seems like a good machine but there are no reviews around.
JMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 02:25 PM   #243
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never heard of it but looks super gimmicky.
I can see a bunch on marketplace a year from now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
JMN
Old 11-19-2023, 03:16 PM   #244
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Never heard of it but looks super gimmicky.
I can see a bunch on marketplace a year from now.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of any resistance training that is based on bands as bands don't provide consistent resistance throughout a range of motion.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
JMN
Old 11-19-2023, 03:41 PM   #245
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Yeah, I'm not a fan of any resistance training that is based on bands as bands don't provide consistent resistance throughout a range of motion.
Also, you can just buy a set of bands for way less money and do pretty much everything being done on the link by wrapping them around a post or anything heavy.
Old 11-19-2023, 04:44 PM   #246
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I thought one of the features of bands is that they provide their most resistance at the apex of your lift/push/pull
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 10:16 AM   #247
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I thought one of the features of bands is that they provide their most resistance at the apex of your lift/push/pull
At the expense of little to no resistance at the other end of the cycle.
Old 11-20-2023, 10:31 AM   #248
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's a little extra effort, but resistance bands added to bench and squats are two of my favourite exercises... You get the best of both worlds.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 10:38 AM   #249
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

… am struggling with consistency… hard to make anything happenw with only 1-2 gym days/weekly. At least am getting outside 2-3x weekly (bike commuting and the odd walk/run followed by inside stretching)
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 11:19 AM   #250
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
… am struggling with consistency… hard to make anything happenw with only 1-2 gym days/weekly. At least am getting outside 2-3x weekly (bike commuting and the odd walk/run followed by inside stretching)
Richie, even 1-2 gym days weekly is terrific; don't look at that as a bad thing. That, combined with your outdoor exercise, is a very commendable fitness regime. This is a better routine than 99% of people out there and should be sufficient for maintaining a relatively high level of fitness.

I'm down to 1-2 days a week at the gym right now too at the moment, but the way I see it, as Arnold says - the pump is always worth it. Once you have experienced 'the pump', keep remembering how amazing it felt, and how it gets better and better the more you go. That feeling, combined with good music while you're there, are two stress-releasing reasons to go make your body and brain happy. Same with the physical transformation that is, of course, the most amazing thing to experience when the work goes in.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 05:37 PM   #251
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I work out twice a week and I feel awesome. I’m not going to be some fitness influencer, but I feel much better than I did before I started, and I don’t need this to take over my life.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 06:06 PM   #252
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post

I always find that it takes me about 2 weeks to get back into a rhythm, where it doesn’t feel like a chore if I’ve been off for an extended period. After that two week mark, it just feels right, so keep at it till you hit whatever your mark is, and keep that in mind next time.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 07:02 AM   #253
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

In November of 2022 I got serious about my diet, continued to exercise regularly, and lost about 25-30lbs by the summer of 2023. I do yoga, go to the gym, ride a bicycle, run and play soccer. I’m 6’2 and that got me down to 200 lbs. I’m 40 years old.

6 weeks ago, I came to SE Asia. I did 28 days of cycling, along with backpacking/sightseeing.

I have managed to drop a further 10-15 lbs. for the first time since the age of 22, I have a six pack. I never thought this would ever happen again.

I owe it in part due to being really active here (obviously cycling, but also walking about 20,000 steps a day and not taking cabs when many other tourists would. I actually walked to the airport on an island I was on the other day for my flight, I didn’t see anyone else do it).

However, more importantly than that, no snacking. I eat 2 or maybe 3 meals a day here (I love me a yogurt, granola and fruit bowl in the morning!) and almost always drink water with the odd Coke Zero for supper on some days. I also have not been going to the gym while here at all. I do sit-ups/pushups/squats roughly every 2 or 3 days.

I eat very clean back home save for getting a pizza every Friday night. However, even though I eat clean, I still eat (snack) a fair bit at home when I’m watching tv, sitting on the couch or occasionally at work. They’re healthy snacks, but they’re still extra calories.

It will be interesting to see if I can maintain my physique and avoid snacking when I’m back (I fly back tomorrow).
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 07:41 AM   #254
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well done Johnny!
I turn 40 next week and now I want a 6 pack too!
Old 03-28-2024, 07:59 AM   #255
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Well done Johnny!
I turn 40 next week and now I want a 6 pack too!
3 days ago I looked in the mirror and said “holy ####”. It just kind of snuck up on me.

I had a gut a year and a half ago. Anything is possible!
Old 03-28-2024, 08:23 AM   #256
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I turned 40 back in January and I'm also in the best shape I've ever been in. I'm lucky in that I've never had an issue with my weight, but that meant I never prioritized working out or exercising. So over the last few years I had been struggling with injuries like a blown out back, ankle sprains and knee issues.

Last year after I blew out my back I made an effort to start going to hot, active yoga at least twice a week and man did that ever make a difference. When I started, my max heart rate would be around 170 bpm and it's been really interesting experiencing my endurance climb while my heart rate is steadily dropping. During a really hard class I usually never get above 150 now and that's incredible for me.

Women lose bone density a lot faster than men as we age, so I'm also working on building myself a strength training routine a couple times a week. Nothing crazy, just a few different weighted dumbbells' and resistance bands. Similarly with yoga, I can tangibly feel myself getting stronger. It makes getting older a little less scary
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 01:39 PM   #257
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
In November of 2022 I got serious about my diet, continued to exercise regularly, and lost about 25-30lbs by the summer of 2023. I do yoga, go to the gym, ride a bicycle, run and play soccer. I’m 6’2 and that got me down to 200 lbs. I’m 40 years old.

6 weeks ago, I came to SE Asia. I did 28 days of cycling, along with backpacking/sightseeing.

I have managed to drop a further 10-15 lbs. for the first time since the age of 22, I have a six pack. I never thought this would ever happen again.

I owe it in part due to being really active here (obviously cycling, but also walking about 20,000 steps a day and not taking cabs when many other tourists would. I actually walked to the airport on an island I was on the other day for my flight, I didn’t see anyone else do it).

However, more importantly than that, no snacking. I eat 2 or maybe 3 meals a day here (I love me a yogurt, granola and fruit bowl in the morning!) and almost always drink water with the odd Coke Zero for supper on some days. I also have not been going to the gym while here at all. I do sit-ups/pushups/squats roughly every 2 or 3 days.

I eat very clean back home save for getting a pizza every Friday night. However, even though I eat clean, I still eat (snack) a fair bit at home when I’m watching tv, sitting on the couch or occasionally at work. They’re healthy snacks, but they’re still extra calories.

It will be interesting to see if I can maintain my physique and avoid snacking when I’m back (I fly back tomorrow).
Update: I’ve been back for 3 weeks.

I’ve continued to lose weight. I’m now down to 180 lbs. I attribute it to continuing not to overeat and the fact I haven’t resumed lifting very heavy weights at the gym (I’m lifting lighter).

In addition, I bought some awesome Hoka running shoes when I was in Bangkok and an Apple Watch. I have been running quite a bit plus yoga, cycling, soccer and lighter weight lifting. The new shoes and watch have been very motivating.

I look like I’m 30 instead of 40 now (is what everyone keeps telling me) and I honestly don’t recognize myself in the mirror some days.

If anyone is looking for motivation: make today your first day or if it’s not your first day, don’t give up!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 02:17 PM   #258
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I started doing kettlebell swing, breath ladders a couple of months ago to improve my VO2 Max, which is an area I felt could use some improvement. I've seen a number of different patterns recommended but I've been doing 1 to 20 and back down again. I do this as an additional workout session each week instead of adding to or replacing an existing workout. I'm very happy with how much I've improved each week. Would heartily recommend.
Old 04-23-2024, 04:53 PM   #259
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

On day 16 of 75 Hard right now. Needed a lifestyle change so going all in!

Picked a macro diet of 1800cal limit with 180g of protein minimum. (207lbs/29%BF to start)
Doing a strength building program on the Lululemon mirror as my inside workouts 4 days a week then running/biking/walking for my outside workouts. The 3 non strength days I'm doing stretching or just walking.

It's been pretty easy so far but today was the first day I didn't feel like working out and tracking everything haha. 59 to go.

At 200/26%BF as of now and looking better every day.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 06:20 AM   #260
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
On day 16 of 75 Hard right now. Needed a lifestyle change so going all in!

Picked a macro diet of 1800cal limit with 180g of protein minimum. (207lbs/29%BF to start)
Doing a strength building program on the Lululemon mirror as my inside workouts 4 days a week then running/biking/walking for my outside workouts. The 3 non strength days I'm doing stretching or just walking.

It's been pretty easy so far but today was the first day I didn't feel like working out and tracking everything haha. 59 to go.

At 200/26%BF as of now and looking better every day.
Good luck dude, I'm starting May 1st.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post: