Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #5101
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the UK is having increasing difficulty recruiting police. Canadian police forces have had a lot of success attracting UK police to move here and take up jobs.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:55 AM   #5102
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
And the UK is having increasing difficulty recruiting police. Canadian police forces have had a lot of success attracting UK police to move here and take up jobs.
No the UK laid off 20,000 (15%) of it's cops under its austerity measures, the main problem the UK has in recruiting police now is that they end up working insane hours to cover the shortfall in numbers
Old 09-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #5103
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Yes, but mostly in the UK that involves the cops taking a beating while they wait for support, they have no guns or tasers for the most part, they are intentionally not given the means to defend themselves effectively in order to keep the public safe
I actually thought they were carrying Tasers now, not side arms, but tasers I thought were now not uncommon.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:57 AM   #5104
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I actually thought they were carrying Tasers now, not side arms, but tasers I thought were now not uncommon.
very few police have tasers there, it is still something that has to be called for and brought in specially
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #5105
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
very few police have tasers there, it is still something that has to be called for and brought in specially
The googles agree:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53999576

Quote:
At the moment, only around 17,000 of the 123,000 police officers in England and Wales are trained to carry the stun guns.
I thought it was more.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #5106
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think we do, but then I come from a country where that has always been the case, you join the Police in the UK it is drilled into you that your job is to lay down your life to protect the public
While I mostly agree with your takes, this is a bridge too far (sorry, not this post but the one about not being able to defend themselves). The cops are a part of the public.

Outside of this tragic incident with its inherent complications, if you shoot at a cop, or anyone with a gun, you will likely be shot back and rightly so.

Last edited by Titan; 09-25-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:39 PM   #5107
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

This seems like something that happens in a democracy and not a ####ing police state....

Kentucky’s only Black female legislator arrested on felony rioting charge at Breonna Taylor protest

Quote:
As the only Black female representative in the Kentucky Capitol, state Rep. Attica Scott (D) took action after the death of Breonna Taylor, who was fatally shot by police raiding her home in March. In August, Scott proposed Breonna’s Law, a bill that would end no-knock warrants statewide. And when a grand jury decided not to indict the officers in Taylor’s death, Scott joined hundreds of protesters in the streets of Louisville.
Quote:
Scott has been among the loudest political voices in Kentucky calling for police accountability. In an interview with NPR this week, she said that justice “is hardly ever served when it’s police officers murdering Black people.”
Quote:
Scott, who has been a state representative since 2017, pre-filed a bill to end no-knock search warrants on Aug. 16. “Breonna’s Law,” which would force police to knock and verbally announce themselves, also requires a judge to approve the use of violent entry when issuing the warrant. Additionally, officers would have to activate their body cameras when serving the warrant.

Scott also included a provision that police must be screened for drug and alcohol following a deadly incident or after firing their gun while on duty.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-scott-arrest/

Gee what a coincidence. Legislator trying to limit police powers is arrested on felony charges for peacefully protesting. Outside a church. Nothing authoritarian about that at all.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 01:37 AM   #5108
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Closer to Utah and Idaho than Texas.
And Montana.

Alberta fits right in with the racist militia groups.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:48 AM   #5109
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Cool, good to know the RCMP in Ponoka supports hate speech.
Most of my incidents of being pulled over for driving while black have been by the RCMP, this is not remotely shocking to me. The RCMP is filled with bigoted pieces of #### just hoping for the opportunity to take out a person of color.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:51 AM   #5110
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Or maybe tragedies can happen when your loser ex BF who you still mingle with uses your home as a drug house? the police were exercising a warrant because she was involved in this piece of garbage's drug ring. why does every ####ty thing have to be proof of systemic racism?
Wow, you aren't even trying to hide that you are a racist piece of garbage any more. Don't get me wrong, we all already knew, but this is a new low even for you.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:42 AM   #5111
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

get off twitter bro
Old 09-27-2020, 07:31 AM   #5112
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Wow, you aren't even trying to hide that you are a racist piece of garbage any more. Don't get me wrong, we all already knew, but this is a new low even for you.
The word racism doesn't mean anything to you, does it? It's just a weapon to wield at people who don't agree with your hore#### narrative.

Do yourself a favour and listen to the daily September 9th and 10th. I know, I know, the New York Times is an extreme right wing outfit, but have an open mind. The police had valid reasons to be there. She called the dude in jail and referred to her home as the trap house. Known associates of the ex who were drug dealers were seen coming and going to her home with packages. They were looking for drug money with probable cause. They were fired on. They returned fire. It's hardly racism, and hardly a cold blooded murder.

I'm all for ending the war on drugs so people don't die over stashing drug dealers money. Too many people are in jail for low level offences, and that falls disproportionately on the black community. But there's absolutely zero evidence to suggest this was in any way racially motivated. People want to assign blame to some one but its impossible here. Too many bad decisions from people going back to Reagan and Bush's war on drugs, up to Breonna allowing her loser ex to rope into his drug activity. Obviously she didn't deserve to die. Obviously. It's also not her fault. But you can't just say this is racially motivated murder. It's a tragedy. Tragedies don't always have single causes and can be complicated.

Last edited by White Out 403; 09-27-2020 at 08:12 AM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #5113
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The word racism doesn't mean anything to you, does it? It's just a weapon to wield at people who don't agree with your hore#### narrative.

Do yourself a favour and listen to the daily September 9th and 10th. I know, I know, the New York Times is an extreme right wing outfit, but have an open mind. The police had valid reasons to be there. She called the dude in jail and referred to her home as the trap house. Known associates of the ex who were drug dealers were seen coming and going to her home with packages. They were looking for drug money with probable cause. They were fired on. They returned fire. It's hardly racism, and hardly a cold blooded murder.

I'm all for ending the war on drugs so people don't die over stashing drug dealers money. Too many people are in jail for low level offences, and that falls disproportionately on the black community. But there's absolutely zero evidence to suggest this was in any way racially motivated. People want to assign blame to some one but its impossible here. Too many bad decisions from people going back to Reagan and Bush's war on drugs, up to Breonna allowing her loser ex to rope into his drug activity. Obviously she didn't deserve to die. Obviously. It's also not her fault. But you can't just say this is racially motivated murder. It's a tragedy. Tragedies don't always have single causes and can be complicated.
So you just described systemic racism yet you continue to argue it isn’t systemic racism.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:22 AM   #5114
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
So you just described systemic racism yet you continue to argue it isn’t systemic racism.
But it doesn’t make him a racist piece of garbage. That’s a stupid thing to say.

Debate the topic then. Hurling moronic unfounded insults achieves nothing.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #5115
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, I argued it wasn't racially motivated.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #5116
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, I argued it wasn't racially motivated.
Quote:
Or maybe tragedies can happen when your loser ex BF who you still mingle with uses your home as a drug house? the police were exercising a warrant because she was involved in this piece of garbage's drug ring. why does every ####ty thing have to be proof of systemic racism?
Did you?
Old 09-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #5117
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did you?

Ah well. Sure. I've argued myself into a corner there. I should have said racism and left it at that. Point to Ggg.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 09-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #5118
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ah well. Sure. I've argued myself into a corner there. I should have said racism and left it at that. Point to Ggg.
I’m not trying to score points it’s just in past posts it has seemed like you do not believe that Taylor’s death is a result of Systemic racism. If that is no longer the case that is great.

Cecils post summed up my thoughts nicely

Quote:
There is definitely a disconnect between the facts and the narrative surrounding the Breonna Taylor case.

In the end, I’m not sure how much the details matter, in the big picture, because all people see is “unarmed black woman shot by police in her own home”.

There’s little to no evidence that the police who shot her were racially motivated. But it’s also likely true that the only reason they were there and entered the way they did, was due to the colour of her skin. However I think that’s more a sign of systemic racism rather than the individuals being motivated by race.

It’s probably the right choice the officers who stormed her home weren’t charged. But it’s so hard for people in the USA right now to exercise restraint given the dozens and dozens of other overtly racist murders and shootings by police.

I view cases like these as more symbolic of the nations problems rather than a perfect example of them. It’s the tipping point.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #5119
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I still think racially motivated or not the cops behaved negligently. Yeah they got fired on first but that doesn't mean automatically firing back. Maybe they should have announced themselves at that point. What if Taylor had been a kid?

Old 09-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #5120
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not trying to score points it’s just in past posts it has seemed like you do not believe that Taylor’s death is a result of Systemic racism.
Just about every one of these incidents can be accurately, or at least plausibly, attributed partly to systemic racism. There's just no way to convincingly determine to what extent systemic racism was to blame. And it's obviously never the only factor (no systemic factor could be). So saying that systemic racism was to blame for this strikes me as a fairly meaningless statement, regardless of what WO403's position is about that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Closed Thread