Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #21
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I wonder if the stress of owning a business in this crisis cracked him. He may not be the last one who does something like this.
Weird take.

I would think the vast vast vast majority of business owners will likely have the will power and common sense to NOT go on a murderous rampage. Just my two cents.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:12 PM   #22
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Horrible. My mother and all her family are from Nova Scotia. Stories like this do make me worry how many people are hanging by a thread. (I don’t mean Covid-19 related just in general)
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:29 PM   #23
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

When I woke up this morning and saw this, first thing I did was message my buddy from Economy. He's safe and well.

Then I just didn't really process it. It is like watching a movie. Too surreal to be true.

My wife has a colleague who apparently lost her sister in this situation. My wife's been shaken all day.

Still, I didn't process it as real.

Not until this moment. I just saw another close friend ask a friend of theirs (that I don't know) if they're ok on Facebook and to reach out to someone.

I then went to the person's Facebook page.

Their road is closed by the RCMP. No one has heard a thing from them or their family.

Again, I don't know them. But reading the worry has triggered flashbacks to when one of my best friends from univeristy put their suicide note on Facebook.

The worry, the unknown, and yet the knowing... wishing beyond hope that you're wrong.

Knowing how shaken my wife is, I'm not mentioning this to her. Hence... here. It's more anonymous while still venting.

F***

This isn't supposed to happen here.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son

Last edited by Maritime Q-Scout; 04-19-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2020, 07:51 PM   #24
Save Us Sutter
I'll get you next time Gadget!

Exp:

A woman in SE Calgary has been posting on Nova Scotian FB groups all day looking for info about her sister, brother in law and niece who lived in Portapique.

She just updated a post to say that all three were found dead in their home.

Another man in Oshawa had shared a post looking for his parents and now has confirmed that their home was burned down and they are gone.

One of the victims was an elementary school teacher in Debert. Heartbreaking tributes coming out from her young students.

Save Us Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #25
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terrible to hear... i heard a little earlier, but didn't think the count would be this high...

hard to put into words how badly i feel for the families and angry i am at the shooter.

This should not happen here... but any time you have any kind of guns, you have the possibility to have a mass shooting, even with Canada's gun control laws.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:40 PM   #26
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Man, just when you think things couldn't get more depressing right now,
Do you actually? Things can always get worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Weird take.
Is it? I feel like there's a lot of people on a metaphorical ledge right now that under normal circumstances would not take a leap.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2020, 08:43 PM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Tragic and tremendously sad, think about the victims tonight. I was joking with a friend a few days ago that with all of the social isolating and people being stuck in their homes that there were going to be some serious issues at some point, combine that with a crashing economy, millions of people out of work and I'm not sadly shocked that something like this happened.

This is tremendously sad, and tremendously concerning. I don't know what else there is to say.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2020, 08:59 PM   #28
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Weird take.

I would think the vast vast vast majority of business owners will likely have the will power and common sense to NOT go on a murderous rampage. Just my two cents.

It’s obviously not going to be the norm...

But there are lots of people out there with significant underlying psychological issues that could be triggered to new lengths once you add major stressors to their lives.

Losing social connections though isolation, job loss, business loss, marriage issues, friends dying from covid, etc

This is a unique situation happen in the world and there are going to be some periphery effects on society that although not direct, will happen the longer this goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Matt Reeeeead For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2020, 09:17 PM   #29
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy to think that with the pandemic going on, we have the worst mass shooting incident in Canadian history. Will be interesting to see how he was able to wreak so much havoc over a long period without any sort of intervention.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:36 PM   #30
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
Crazy to think that with the pandemic going on, we have the worst mass shooting incident in Canadian history. Will be interesting to see how he was able to wreak so much havoc over a long period without any sort of intervention.
I'd hardly call that insane manhunt, chase, & shootouts over that long period of time "without any intervention".

This is a guy who know exactly how & when the RCMP would react and countered it at every turn. Knew exactly how to confuse, exploit, and escape their tactics.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:56 PM   #31
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
This is a guy who know exactly how & when the RCMP would react and countered it at every turn. Knew exactly how to confuse, exploit, and escape their tactics.
From what sources did you get this info? I haven’t seen this info in the news I’ve read.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:03 AM   #32
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
From what sources did you get this info? I haven’t seen this info in the news I’ve read.
Quote:
Since high school, Gabriel Wortman, a denturist with multiple Nova Scotia clinics, had shown an obsession for policing, buying law-enforcement memorabilia and boasting about his hobby of refurbishing old police cruisers.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...obsession-for/
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 01:06 AM   #33
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't think that its much of a reach in that this shooting happened on the 25th anniversary of the Oklamhoma City Bombings.

That the killer was described as a fan of the police, and had bought two old cruisers and used one of them while dressing in at least part of a RCMP uniform. I think he'd been planning this for some time, it doesn't feel like a random he just snapped occurrence. Like the 2011 Norway attack he dressed like a cop.

He played his role well, his neighbors described him as a kind generous friendly neighbor who worked at a Dental lab iirc. Nobody saw this coming.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:59 AM   #34
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I'd hardly call that insane manhunt, chase, & shootouts over that long period of time "without any intervention".

I was referring more to the point that he was able to murder the majority of his victims before any interaction happened with the RCMP by reports. It seems the vast majority of damage was done before the pursuit, shootouts, etc. The fact that RCMP are continuing to do searches for victims and the number of dead keeps on rising showed that this guy was able to commit a ton of crime without anyone noticing, including the public.

I get rural policing is a unique circumstance and there’s a whole set of factors at play. I think the only thing he was able to exploit is a small cop to population ratio and stretched them incredibly thin with the little resources they had available. Also the fact that other useful resources were hours away.

It’ll be interesting to see a full timeline come out in the future.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:04 AM   #35
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just catching up on what happened with this now. Horrific. What a messed up situation. Just tragic. Is there news yet on where this guy got his weapon, or the motives?

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:51 AM   #36
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Horrible. Absolutely horrible.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:57 AM   #37
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

ooof.. .bad times. From the articles it sounds like he had a plan for some of it and then starting killing random people. Brutal.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:17 AM   #38
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1252035451873103874
Old 04-20-2020, 08:21 AM   #39
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

CTV News
@CTVNews
UPDATED: Death toll hits 19 in Canada's worst mass shooting

At least two of the victims were correction officers. One was an elementary teacher.

This thing is looking to have a very sordid and complicated story behind it.

Ugh.

Last edited by transplant99; 04-20-2020 at 08:24 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:13 AM   #40
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Absolutely horrible.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote