Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #1821
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Itse, I agree with what you're saying - well, 95% of it anyways. My problem is that these people who are "believing the cool daddy" are the ones who crow from their bully platform about how smart they are and how strongly they apply critical thinking skills, when in reality they don't. They don't question the verbal diarrhea that flows from these "intellectual giants" and take what they say as whole cloth. Part of being an intellectual is thinking critically for oneself and be able to weed out the bull####. There are too many that hear what they think is a convincing argument, based predominately on confirmation bias, and don't realize they are being hoodwinked. When you go through the names of the "intellectuals" identified and posted as being reasonable arguments, its a rogues gallery of hucksters and con men. That's why you can't feel sorry for them. When they claim to be so adept at applying critical thinking skills but can't see through the obvious bull#### being sold to them, they deserve the bill of goods they buy and the ridicule they receive for being part of the multi-level marketing scheme.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #1822
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

People actually take guys like Charlie Kirk, Ben Shaprio, Steven Crowder and Dave Rubin seriously?
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:13 PM   #1823
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpring2013 View Post
People actually take guys like Charlie Kirk, Ben Shaprio, Steven Crowder and Dave Rubin seriously?
Which Conservative voice do you take seriously?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #1824
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Itse, I agree with what you're saying - well, 95% of it anyways. My problem is that these people who are "believing the cool daddy" are the ones who crow from their bully platform about how smart they are and how strongly they apply critical thinking skills, when in reality they don't. They don't question the verbal diarrhea that flows from these "intellectual giants" and take what they say as whole cloth. Part of being an intellectual is thinking critically for oneself and be able to weed out the bull####. There are too many that hear what they think is a convincing argument, based predominately on confirmation bias, and don't realize they are being hoodwinked. When you go through the names of the "intellectuals" identified and posted as being reasonable arguments, its a rogues gallery of hucksters and con men. That's why you can't feel sorry for them. When they claim to be so adept at applying critical thinking skills but can't see through the obvious bull#### being sold to them, they deserve the bill of goods they buy and the ridicule they receive for being part of the multi-level marketing scheme.
Well, I'm not going to blame you for it, they are damned annoying
Itse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:39 PM   #1825
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Well none of those grifters for sure and I have little time for pundit hackery on either side. Can you imagine listening to failed comedian turned opinion for hire podcasters like Rubin or Crowder? Or trusting Ben Shapiro and his islamophobia/racism?

Trusted American news organizations like PBS and NPR lean slightly left of center (like me) but are highly factual. On the right Johan Goldberg has done a good job at The Dispatch, if you need a name.
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IrishSpring2013 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2020, 09:25 PM   #1826
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldnt call them actual conservatives. Those guys are just political whores who will say what ever the right will pay them. Dave Ruubin use to be severely left and now comes on to right wing shows as the gay guy who talks about whats wromg with the left and even talks about how his own gay community is wrong. Money talks. Same thing with Candace owens , she gets paid to say bad things about the black community as a black person.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:09 PM   #1827
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Dave Rubin is such a fraud. He's trying to be the guy who saw the light and wants people to see the light as well. He's trying to play both sides but he's arguments are wrong because he's doesn't know whether he's coming or going.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:05 AM   #1828
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Dave Rubin is such a fraud. He's trying to be the guy who saw the light and wants people to see the light as well. He's trying to play both sides but he's arguments are wrong because he's doesn't know whether he's coming or going.
Dave Rubin was a host on TYT for many years.He was very well spoken there and very articulate than the right wing (The ####ing Koch brothers are who pay him)saw he had a good size audience then payed him a boat load to be a gay man bashing gays. In october he was on Tucker Carlson blaming race diversities and the LGBTQ for the California fires. He's said George saros is a nazi. He's backed Ballsarro in Brazil who is hugely anti gay.He went on Ben Shapiro and he was so unaware how anti gay marriage Shapiro is he just started agreeing and adding points to support Shapiro's points. All Dave wanted to do is to have Ben accept his own marriage which Ben right to his face said it was an abomination and Dave had no balls to stand up to that and created a scenario 80 years down the road Ben might change his mind. He wanted to be Bens friend so bad he aggreed to Shapiro's points and just wanted him to just accept Rubins marriage only.

All those guys including owens and tomi lauren are just con artists and shysters. This is what they literally do in live time

[

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 08-17-2020 at 05:27 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 06:40 AM   #1829
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
I wouldnt call them actual conservatives. Those guys are just political whores who will say what ever the right will pay them. Dave Ruubin use to be severely left and now comes on to right wing shows as the gay guy who talks about whats wromg with the left and even talks about how his own gay community is wrong. Money talks. Same thing with Candace owens , she gets paid to say bad things about the black community as a black person.
So I wasn't really defending the people listed. I was simply asking what conservative voices people do take seriously. That's all.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:17 AM   #1830
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So I wasn't really defending the people listed. I was simply asking what conservative voices people do take seriously. That's all.
I like Richard Painter (although he is not as high profile as the other conservative pundits referred to).
Old 08-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #1831
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I like Richard Painter (although he is not as high profile as the other conservative pundits referred to).
The fact that Painter *isn't* as well known as Charlie "Wearing Diapers To Own The Libs" Kirk is tragic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:07 AM   #1832
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
The fact that Painter *isn't* as well known as Charlie "Wearing Diapers To Own The Libs" Kirk is tragic.
I agree but I understand why this is the case. People (especially those without serious legal, political, economic etc backgrounds) are naturally attracted to flashy, provocative personalities and positions. I don't think that is a recent phenomenon either. The big difference between today and ~25 years ago is the gatekeeper function that major news organizations played (as they were more or less the only place people could access political punditry). There is no gatekeeper any more.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:10 AM   #1833
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
How do you feel about David Frum?
Old 08-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #1834
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How do you feel about David Frum?
I think Frum is intelligent and a serious conservative voice so long as the subject doesn't involve Islam (where it seems like his personal sympathies cloud his judgment).
Old 09-25-2020, 01:51 PM   #1835
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Ben Shapiro, relationship consultant! I actually found it interesting.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #1836
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlysports View Post
ben shapiro, relationship consultant! I actually found it interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:07 PM   #1837
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

God he's such a weiner.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:12 AM   #1838
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I don't like the whole 'who on the left, or who on the right' because certain people instantly get dismissed because they get labeled.

I've been listening and reading more and more of Matt Taibbi lately, and I personally could care less how he leans politically. He has a unique way of looking at everything.

Things like the FinCen files, or the latest Russiagate reporting. The crickets from the mainstream media are pretty telling.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 12:11 PM   #1839
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I don't like the whole 'who on the left, or who on the right' because certain people instantly get dismissed because they get labeled.

I've been listening and reading more and more of Matt Taibbi lately, and I personally could care less how he leans politically. He has a unique way of looking at everything.

Things like the FinCen files, or the latest Russiagate reporting. The crickets from the mainstream media are pretty telling.
Check out his appearance on the Brett Weinstein podcast.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #1840
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Brett Weinstein is also pretty great.

I have not listened to those podcasts, but will put them on the list. Hard to keep up with all of them when everything is 2 hours long.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote