Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-26-2020, 12:37 AM   #8001
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
About as ridiculous and calling Monahan a #2C and Backlund a #3C. Our fanbase notoriously underrates most of our players.
On a championship team Monahan is a #2 C.

He’s either an excellent #2 C or a poor #1 C.

If he was as good as some of the folks around here thinks he is, you wouldn’t have all these people launching all these criticisms. He’s good, just not great. We need great.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:42 AM   #8002
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
My point is we don't know because he's never been asked to. Claiming he is incapable of doing something never required of him is a pretty terrible take.
Thats it guys, we just need to ask him. Our centre problem is solved.
The Following User Says Thank You to DomeFoam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 02:37 AM   #8003
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I gotta say, signing Hall and trading Johnny for assets would be a net positive for the Flames going forward.

I think they are very comparable players, and when Johnny's contract is up, he will want more than what Hall will get in free agency.

The Flames have the cap space to make it happen, and seriously need to rebuild some assets.
Those assets better be good, assuming Hall gets between 7-8m and Gaudreau wants more it means Gaudreau has had 2 dynamite seasons.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:33 AM   #8004
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw this on the hf boards, not sure if it's been discussed here. Apparently goligoski team no trade list was revealed :
Buffalo
Calgary
Detroit
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Montreal
Ottawa
Winnipeg
Old 09-26-2020, 06:36 AM   #8005
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I think Tampa will move heaven and earth to keep Cirelli. As they should.
Targeting barzal gives us the backup of snagging pulock.
Lol I assume you mean giving Barzal an offer sheet? You really think the Islanders will happily make a trade with Calgary after that and give them a deal? There will be 29 other teams that the Islanders will trade Pulock too before Calgary.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:46 AM   #8006
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, from reading your posts it's very easy to see you are "confused"
No need to be a jerk. You have been condescending for a few posts now. Did you just have a bad week or just can't take someone having a different opinion than you?
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 07:03 AM   #8007
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Lol I assume you mean giving Barzal an offer sheet? You really think the Islanders will happily make a trade with Calgary after that and give them a deal? There will be 29 other teams that the Islanders will trade Pulock too before Calgary.
No he was saying you offer sheet Barzal and the Isles match, and then their hands are tied when you offer sheet Pulock.

But it doesn't matter, that's fantasyland stuff. Won't happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 07:07 AM   #8008
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund's value is decent right now and that is the player I want traded along with Gaudreau. That would be a really good shake-up in my opinion. I would also move Giordano but I don't think that is going to happen.

To Minnesota: Mikael Backlund + Sam Bennett
To Calgary: Matt Dumba

To Philadelphia: Johnny Gaudreau
To Calgary: Travis Konecny

To Chicago: David Rittich
To Calgary: 4th Round Pick

Sign: Taylor Hall, Jacob Markstrom, Bobby Ryan, and Laurent Brossoit

Hall-Monahan-Konecny
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Dube/Mangiapane
Lucic-D.Ryan-Dube/Mangiapane
Phillips-Gawdin-B.Ryan

Giordano-Andersson
Hanifin-Dumba
Kylington-Valimaki

Markstrom
Brossoit

Last edited by keenan87; 09-26-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:08 AM   #8009
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
No he was saying you offer sheet Barzal and the Isles match, and then their hands are tied when you offer sheet Pulock.

But it doesn't matter, that's fantasyland stuff. Won't happen.
Ah, makes much more sense. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2020, 07:11 AM   #8010
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with trading Backlund but I don't like the deal that includes Bennett too. I think it could be Backlund + something else for Dumba. If you get rid of a C you need to get a C or at least keep one to replace him and I think Bennett could step up if given a chance/
Old 09-26-2020, 07:17 AM   #8011
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I agree with trading Backlund but I don't like the deal that includes Bennett too. I think it could be Backlund + something else for Dumba. If you get rid of a C you need to get a C or at least keep one to replace him and I think Bennett could step up if given a chance/
For sure, I think many on here know I am not at all sold on Bennett.. regardless, I think he would be the player that really moves the needle for Minnesota in that deal. I think the only other comparables are Mangiapane or Dube and I would rather keep them.

The other option is to trade Ryan for a 2nd Round Pick. Then package that second round pick with Backlund and maybe Kylington for Dumba.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #8012
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trading 2 centers would make this team even weaker down the middle. The only way I'd trade Backlund and Bennett is if they plan on giving an offer sheet to Barzal or another good young C.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:56 AM   #8013
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I don't get where people are coming from when they say that they would like to trade Hanifin. The guy is 23 and have great chemistry with our soon to be top D man Andersson. Not to mention that his 5m contract is great value at the position.

The Flames days of having an embarrassment of riches on the blue line are over. They should be looking to add, not sell on the back end.
Good point.

Hanifin is like Johnny. On a great contract. Once that contract is almost over we could look at trading him for assets as well, or see how he has developed and perhaps keep him.

But right now, given his age, how well he played in the playoffs....yeah, pretty dumb to want to trade him. From an asset management perspective, trading him now while his value is at the lowest of his term, is a terrible idea.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:57 AM   #8014
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can’t see the Wild having any appetite to trade a 26 year old top 4, maybe even top 2, RHS D For a 31 year old C. Surely they will receive better offers and will want more.

I’m a Backlund fan, but let’s be realistic here. He’s probably got 2-3 years left at his current quality of play. Dumba likely has 6-8. The Wild are going to have to have Monahan, Hanifin, or a 1st coming back. Any other combination of players would likely have to include players that are under 25; Mangiapane or Dube.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:58 AM   #8015
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Those assets better be good, assuming Hall gets between 7-8m and Gaudreau wants more it means Gaudreau has had 2 dynamite seasons.
Kevin Hayes got $8 million a year ago.

What do you think Johnny will get two years from now?
Old 09-26-2020, 08:02 AM   #8016
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Kevin Hayes got $8 million a year ago.

What do you think Johnny will get two years from now?
If the cap is flat and produce’s in the neighborhood of where he did last year, probably 6.5/.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:05 AM   #8017
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have an athletic subscription, but apparently Duhatschek said the Flames tried to get Vatanen as a rental from New Jersey when they attempted to acquire Hall, and he also stated he wouldn't be surprised if they circle back to him in free agency.

Anyone read this?
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 08:06 AM   #8018
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I don't have an athletic subscription, but apparently Duhatschek said the Flames tried to get Vatanen as a rental from New Jersey when they attempted to acquire Hall, and he also stated he wouldn't be surprised if they circle back to him in free agency.

Anyone read this?
Accurate.

He also thought the Flames could offer Pietrangelo 9.5/ and Markstrom 5.5/ and still have room to reign Mangiapane and fill out the bottom of the roster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 08:13 AM   #8019
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Anyone read this?
The pertinent part of his column today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Duhatschek
Is there a financial path forward that would allow the Flames to bid on both Pietrangelo and Markstrom?

The answer is probably yes. Currently, the Flames have almost $17 million in cap space because five of the defencemen who finished the season on the NHL roster are now UFAs (TJ Brodie, Travis Hamonic, Derek Forbort, Erik Gustafsson and Michael Stone) as well as goaltender Cam Talbot.

The Flames only have four NHL defencemen signed for next season, but believe that college free agent Connor Mackey can likely step in, at age 24, and on an entry-level salary that pays him $925,000.

Mackey is a left-shot defenceman, which is where there’s a crowd, because Mark Giordano, Juuso Valimaki and Noah Hanifin also play the left side. But if the Flames were to move Hanifin and his $4.95 million salary that would leave them with $22 million to spend and still fairly solid on the left side.

If Pietrangelo gobbled up an AAV of $9.5 million and Markstrom got $5.5 million, that would still leave them with enough of a cushion to sign Andrew Mangiapane to an extension plus fill in the gaps at the bottom of the roster at minimal price points.

If they managed all that, they’d have a starting goalie in place until Dustin Wolf is ready to play plus a revamped defence corps.

Beyond Pietrangelo, one lower-priced option to consider on the blue line would be Sami Vatanen, most recently with Carolina. When the Flames were bidding on Taylor Hall last December, before Hall was eventually traded to Arizona, they were also trying to get Vatanen included in the deal as a rental. If they were interested then, they probably would be interested again.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #8020
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Accurate.

He also thought the Flames could offer Pietrangelo 9.5/ and Markstrom 5.5/ and still have room to reign Mangiapane and fill out the bottom of the roster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
The pertinent part of his column today
Interesting, thanks.

If the Flames believe Valimaki will be able to step in as a top 4 guy right away, and that Mackey will be able to play NHL minutes pretty quickly as well, then it certainly makes sense that they are willing to move Hanifin.

I cannot get past the notion of signing Pietroangelo and then trading Hanifin for futures. To get an elite #1 RHD and then bolster the draft pick and prospect cupboards while at the same time filling out the left side of the NHL D with two guys on ELC's would be such a massive win for this franchise it's not even funny.

Too bad it's very unlikely to actually happen.

Giordano - Pietro
Valimaki - Andersson
Mackey - Kylington/Yelesin/Cheap UFA
Closed Thread