Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2023, 12:35 PM   #1201
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
They just use computers to do it.
Removing a colour cast like that is not as simple as “using a computer”. I’m very familiar with the programs used to do that work and that would be a massive pain in the ass.

edit.

They may have even 3D model replaced pieces of the Giraffe considering how difficult that would have been to remove. That could be a reason for the uncanny valley feel of the Giraffe, even on closeups.

Last edited by Cole436; 03-13-2023 at 02:19 PM.
Cole436 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole436 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 12:36 PM   #1202
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Joel doesn’t really love Ellie he loves himself as he always did. He is unredeemed despite the shows first 8 episodes trying to convince you he had changed.
I wouldn't say so. He's pretty selfless as far as she is concerned. The problem is that she has become his entire world and he is his sole reason for being. He got a second shot after losing Sarah, and he will not lose again. The change in his character is that he was able to learn how to care for someone as he did for Sarah, but it's clear that it's to an unhealthy degree and to the detriment of everything/everyone OTHER than her.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:52 PM   #1203
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
When does S2 come out? Need to find time to replay Part I, then play Part II for the first time.
Can't wait to re-play both. Part I remaster comes out on PC in two weeks, here's hoping #2 follows
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 12:57 PM   #1204
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
Just one quick note, the giraffe was real. They showed the BTS in the 30 minute special. They took Pedro and Bella to the Calgary Zoo to shoot it.
Just a quick reminder about this - I almost forgot myself. It's a separate program listing on Crave, not found with the rest of the episodes.

Neat to see the Calgary Zoo (and so many places in Alberta) to be part of the show.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...tions-alberta/

https://www.travelalberta.com/us/art...he-last-of-us/

EXPLORE THESE ALBERTA LOCATIONS FEATURED IN HBO’S THE LAST OF US

https://www.cheknews.ca/tv-hit-the-l...berta-1144354/

The HBO TV series “The Last of Us” has not only made many Albertans proud to recognize their province on screen, but the wildly popular post-apocalyptic show is also expected to bring in more filming opportunities.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 01:38 PM   #1205
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As a huge fan of the game, I thought the show was extremely well done. Pedro and Bella were amazing.

Sure, there are lots of small stuff you can nitpick, but I’m just thrilled that a PlayStation game was adapted to a great HBO show.

My wife and a bunch of her friends who couldn’t care less about video games were hooked start to finish. It was great finally getting a chance to share this story with some people in my life who don’t touch video games.

Hopefully this opens the door for more people to understand that games can be right up there with movies and tv shows in term of narrative and storytelling.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:45 PM   #1206
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just a quick reminder about this - I almost forgot myself. It's a separate program listing on Crave, not found with the rest of the episodes.

Neat to see the Calgary Zoo (and so many places in Alberta) to be part of the show.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...tions-alberta/

https://www.travelalberta.com/us/art...he-last-of-us/

EXPLORE THESE ALBERTA LOCATIONS FEATURED IN HBO’S THE LAST OF US

https://www.cheknews.ca/tv-hit-the-l...berta-1144354/

The HBO TV series “The Last of Us” has not only made many Albertans proud to recognize their province on screen, but the wildly popular post-apocalyptic show is also expected to bring in more filming opportunities.
Should be a big bump for the zoo and the giraffes! and Northland Mall.... lol

I thought the ending was pretty good but the hospital shoot out scene reminded me of John Woo's Hard Boiled. Was waiting for Pedro to do some Chow Yun Fat slow mo double pistol diving!

Last edited by Johnny Makarov; 03-13-2023 at 01:48 PM.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:46 PM   #1207
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

The best part of the ending of the game was realizing you weren't playing the protagonist. That Joel is actually a bad guy willing to sacrifice the world for one person.

That is what made the game so memorable for me when it ended and has always stuck with me.

No game has twisted up morality in such a fine manner for me than this one.

And I think the show didn't do it as well, but effectively tried.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:51 PM   #1208
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The game did this far better IMO. In the show the Fireflies know exactly why Ellie is immune, which suggests they can extract a cure and definitely paints Joel as a madman. In the game they have no idea why Ellie is immune, they just want to cut her up to hopefully find some kind of clue. Makes Joel seem a little less psychotic when he saves Ellie from a (probably) pointless death
That's a great point. In the game, it didn't even really make sense to cut someone up so quickly. if Ellie was immune, the last thing you'd want to do is kill her. You'd want an ongoing source of living samples.

In the show, they really just made it black/white and Joel was acting like a crazy person.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 01:57 PM   #1209
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Going back, Joel is not even looking at the giraffe, he's looking at Ellie the whole time.
OK, I guess I stand corrected but it seriously didn't look realistic at all! I guess maybe because it was blue screened in.
Quote:
Laura Bailey is a legitimately hilarious human being. I don't watch Critical Role but I've seen clips and it's impossible not to like her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
The best part of the ending of the game was realizing you weren't playing the protagonist. That Joel is actually a bad guy willing to sacrifice the world for one person.
At the very least it's a conflicted situation where it's not clear that this is the right thing to do - or at least, for most people it isn't. For some, playing the game, they're immediately in a "nope, F this, kill 'em all, nobody is taking away Joel's baby girl a second time" mode. For others they immediately default to "obviously Marlene is right; we're talking about the whole world here - in that situation you don't even wake her up to ask her consent, just do it." And then most people are torn and wind up somewhere in the middle. But in order to do that you do need a bit more time to process the stakes on both sides, and it helps a lot if you've spent enough time with Joel and Ellie together to see how their relationship has developed since leaving Wyoming the first time. In the show, they're on screen together for maybe... 10 minutes between episode 6 and this episode.

Pacing is important, even if not a lot of plot significance is happening on screen, because it's not plot-driven. The beginning of Ep 4 and the beginning of Ep 6 were absolutely necessary and they needed more of that towards the end, for me.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 02:00 PM   #1210
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
I wouldn't say so. He's pretty selfless as far as she is concerned. The problem is that she has become his entire world and he is his sole reason for being. He got a second shot after losing Sarah, and he will not lose again. The change in his character is that he was able to learn how to care for someone as he did for Sarah, but it's clear that it's to an unhealthy degree and to the detriment of everything/everyone OTHER than her.
Does he really care about Ellie though. Seems more like he's just projecting his own unresolved issues onto her. Ellie also seems increasingly uneasy about the relationship. She obviously suspects that he's lying about saving her, and she looks pretty uncomfortable when Joel was comparing her to his deceased daughter.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 02:01 PM   #1211
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Whenever there is a show where a guy has to lay there being dead I always get jealous he's getting paid to do that. I'd be so rad at that job. Continuity people would never have to worry about me messing up a scene. Lay there all day? I'm on it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 02:47 PM   #1212
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 03-13-2023, 02:49 PM   #1213
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

That CGI is passable at best.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 03:08 PM   #1214
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seriously though, you can't tell me the third one doesn't look weird.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 03:11 PM   #1215
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post

My wife and a bunch of her friends who couldn’t care less about video games were hooked start to finish. It was great finally getting a chance to share this story with some people in my life who don’t touch video games.

Hopefully this opens the door for more people to understand that games can be right up there with movies and tv shows in term of narrative and storytelling.
I don't/can't play the games, not co-ordinated enough or something, I don't know. I sat a few times with my daughter and watched her gameplay though. So when she found out it was being made into a series, she was beside herself waiting for it. I promised to watch it with her and same, was hooked within the first few minutes. I'm disappointed we'll have to wait a bit for the second part of the series, this became our Sunday night thing to do together. We cleared EVERYTHING from our schedules and planted ourselves on the couch to watch every week - made sure our snacks/drinks were ready, and bathroom break happened before the show came on, LOL.

As an aside to a different post, for whatever reason she had no idea about Laura Bailey and she watches Critical Role somewhat religiously, so it was kind of fun for me to show her the post with the tweet in it. She said "well, how embarrassed am I that you knew that before I did? She's in frigging everything, how did I miss that?"
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 03-13-2023, 03:17 PM   #1216
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I was content to sit back and watch you be ridiculed for thinking the beast was CGI.

But I have to admit I thought the *exact* same thing. HBO big budget show, and that's the best CGI giraffe you can come up with? Pathetic.

Now my conscience is clear.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 03:27 PM   #1217
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I don't/can't play the games, not co-ordinated enough or something, I don't know.
The game has a lot of difficulty levels including an easy one. If you enjoyed the series, I think it would be worth trying.

There is a lot of world building in the game and there is something fundamentally different with controlling a character in the game. It's a more stunning experience actually controlling Sarah and seeing things from her perspective at the start. And the same when Joel is injured.

Perhaps it can be something you can continue to share with your daughter on Sunday nights.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:44 PM   #1218
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're just clearing some stuff off the PVR right now, then I'm going to go in her room and try the easy level. I think it was Far Cry 5 that I first tried playing with her and all I end up doing is going in circles or jumping when I shouldn't, shooting the shizz out of everyone and everything. Kept her immensely amused though. I believe it was Breath of the Wild that I played a bit and had some success with.

I miss game play. A million years ago, we had a Super Nintendo and I used to play that a ton. We had a multi-tap, so every Sunday afternoon, it was Battle Royale with the kids & my husband & I playing multi-player games - I whupped everyone's butts on Bomberman (no big thing in the grand scheme of games, I know, roflmao), but hell, it was a lot of fun. Some of my best memories with my kids.

I am always astounded at how much every bit of gaming systems/games have improved. The first "gaming" I ever did was Pongon an Atari I think (at 13ish?) and then on an old Commodore 64 and all we had was some old Winter Games thing for the longest time. The SNES was the last gaming system I ever played on.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 03:49 PM   #1219
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

For anyone who is thinking about playing the game, the Easy mode is very easy. The game is pretty long, but a significant amount of that time is actually story.

I'd also strongly recommend the Uncharted series.

These two are probably the best of the cinematic video game trend. There are other games like Assassin's Creed from that era, but those involve many more hours wandering around sandbox type worlds.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:52 PM   #1220
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah, it looks weird. Is it possible you just haven't seen a giraffe super close up very often, though? That's probably the best shot of a giraffe's face 99% of us have ever seen hah.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: