Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2023, 01:12 PM   #361
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I gotta say... this whole fungus thing is way more terrifying than whatever other zombie movies/shows come up with (I don't even think most of them bother with anything beyond biting and "something in the blood" or whatever).

Quote:
The Last of Us: Could a fungal pandemic turn us all into zombies?
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-64402102
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 01:33 PM   #362
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I gotta say... this whole fungus thing is way more terrifying than whatever other zombie movies/shows come up with (I don't even think most of them bother with anything beyond biting and "something in the blood" or whatever).
It was much more terrifying in the game because it spread by fungus/mold spores that would float in the air everywhere and you would get infected just by breathing. No need for bites/physical contact.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 01:53 PM   #363
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Did they shoot the bridge scene in Fish Creek Park? I don't recall hearing of them being down in Fish Creek for any filming yet me and my buddy both shot up at the one scene where Joel and Ellie are crossing a bridge and went "That's a Fish Creek style bridge".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 01:58 PM   #364
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Offerman wasn't their first choice.

Quote:
The production team originally approached Con O’Neill, who played engineer Viktor Bryukhanov in Mazin’s previous series, Chernobyl, for the role. “I was pretty invested in the notion that if we’re gonna be telling the story of two middle-aged gay men, then it would probably be good to have two middle-aged gay actors doing it,” says Mazin, who notes many creatives involved in the adaptation were middle-aged, married gay men. “I was maybe slightly more insistent about that than a lot of the people around me.”

But O’Neill’s gig as Izzy Hands on Our Flag Means Death rendered him unavailable. That’s when producer Carolyn Strauss suggested Offerman, whom Mazin knew casually. “I figured, Well, if we’re gonna open this up, that’s where you go. I sent him the script and said, ‘Nick, if you don’t like it, I’ll never send you anything else ever again, because it won’t be better than this,’” he recalls. But Offerman also had a scheduling conflict. “I read the script, and I was like, ‘Oh no, what a dilemma,’” Offerman remembers. “Thankfully I have a perspicacious wife named Megan who I asked to read it, and she said, ‘Buddy, you’re going to Calgary.’
https://www.vulture.com/article/the-...explained.html
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:04 PM   #365
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Did they shoot the bridge scene in Fish Creek Park? I don't recall hearing of them being down in Fish Creek for any filming yet me and my buddy both shot up at the one scene where Joel and Ellie are crossing a bridge and went "That's a Fish Creek style bridge".
Yup:
https://goo.gl/maps/s7nW28e6MU9UQFj28
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:07 PM   #366
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I thought that was the zoo bridge when I saw it
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:14 PM   #367
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post

The curly afro guy from Chernobyl doesn't strike me as Bill. Offerman is almost a spitting image of the portly game character.

Also Offerman has filmed in Calgary before, for Fargo Season 2!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 02:18 PM   #368
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was pretty impressed with how thoroughly they covered him gathering the tools to survive and be comfortable in such an efficient manner. For those who always tout the read media over the visual. That is an example of film in TV at it's best. When they can give you so much in such a small period of time.

The one thing I missed was when Frank arrived, he seemed to have advanced knowledge of Bill, and that he would be able to seduce him. Something was missing from the story there. But aside from that such a good use of the media they were working with.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:23 PM   #369
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ah nice, I knew it! So that's right down in the woodlands/woodbine area.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:23 PM   #370
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
The curly afro guy from Chernobyl doesn't strike me as Bill. Offerman is almost a spitting image of the portly game character.

Also Offerman has filmed in Calgary before, for Fargo Season 2!
The Variety article makes it sound like it was a quick role turnover to Offerman.

They actually announced Con O’Neill in 2021 along with Murray Bartlett. I like O’Neill in Chernobyl and Our Flag Means Death but couldn't imagine someone other than Offerman in the role already.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:30 PM   #371
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, just when I thought I couldn't love Nick Offerman any more. That was great
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:36 PM   #372
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post

This is really weird to me because I seriously wonder why not W. Earl Brown then. He said via twitter, "Unfortunately, I was not offered the role"... but I wonder if they even considered offering it to him, and if not, why not. Obviously Offerman nailed it, so excellent choice in the end but I am curious about what happened there particularly given that Druckmann was presumably at least semi-involved in casting, and what with Merle Dandridge.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:44 PM   #373
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

From "The Ongoing Celebrity Death Thread":

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I also wondered when the casting was announced why Wersching wasn't playing Tess.

A role like Ellie obviously couldn't be fulfilled by the original actress—there was no way 39-year-old Ashley Johnson was going to play a 14-year-old—and I knew roles like Joel, Tommy and David would almost certainly be recast (although I would have liked to have seen what Nolan North could have done). While they did get Merle Dandridge to reprise her role as Marlene, I thought there were two other roles which the original actors could have believably reprised: W. Earl Brown as Bill, and Annie Wersching as Tess.

The only reasons I thought the producers may hesitate to do so were: 1) Brown I thought may have been a little too old, as he was already about 50 when the first game came out, and 2) Wersching may have been a little too young and too pretty.

Definitely too young to be gone. #### cancer.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:57 PM   #374
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

As it turned out, his age wouldn't have been an impediment to what they wanted to do... he's only 7 years older than Offerman and looked like this in the recent Deadwood movie, which would have worked.

I suppose the answer was just "I don't see him as this version of Bill", who is obviously the same Bill but who lived a different life than the version in the game and those experiences ultimately created a different person.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 03:07 PM   #375
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
As it turned out, his age wouldn't have been an impediment to what they wanted to do... he's only 7 years older than Offerman and looked like this in the recent Deadwood movie, which would have worked.

I suppose the answer was just "I don't see him as this version of Bill", who is obviously the same Bill but who lived a different life than the version in the game and those experiences ultimately created a different person.
That's probably the best way to describe it. W. Earl Brown is a treasure and a tremendous character actor. I wasn't aware that he was in the video game (now I have another reason to lament not playing it), but from what people describe as Bill's arc on that platform I'm not entirely convinced Brown would have pulled the series' version off in the same respect Offerman did.

He has all the talent, but being a fan and looking at his body of work I'm unsure he would have the same softness regarding Bill's vulnerability that Offerman did. Brown can do vulnerable, but it's a different brand than what Offerman did in that episode.

Offerman also has a greater name recognition, and for what may be a somewhat minor role in the entirety of the story his face was featured prominently in trailers and teasers.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 03:09 PM   #376
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
From "The Ongoing Celebrity Death Thread":
Anne Torval was good but I think Wersching would have been even better. She gave Tess that weathered but was once pretty look

Old 01-30-2023, 03:11 PM   #377
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still have that academic look crush on Anna Torv from Mindhunter.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 03:35 PM   #378
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Offerman was also here in 2015 shooting the season season of Fargo
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:43 PM   #379
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 03:47 PM   #380
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hah - Offerman's first impression of Bartlett, saying "you were friendly, you were generous, you made me feel like I might get out of this alive" reminded me that in the game, instead of the Linda Rondstadt song, when Joel puts in the tape at the end of the episode it instead plays...

Spoiler!