Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2023, 08:21 AM   #261
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The extremely violent, almost desperate way they attack - which makes sense. I'm not tying anything to the game, I'm saying in terms of evolutionary biology and what would be the efficient evolved behaviour. It doesn't matter what the target host does or if it fights back, if the goal is to spread the infection, they should be going all out, all the time as soon as they see a target. Immediate swarm. That would be the best way to ensure spread - in fact multiple infected should trying to bite her immediately. So the explanation doesn't really work for me. But it's a minor gripe.
First off, sorry, wasn't trying to be combative about game stuff, just that they have gone a different route.

I guess the argument there is if the host is already infected, a swarming may do unnecessary damage.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:31 AM   #262
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Have to say, I'm a big fan of the mushroom head zombies in the show, although I would think such a cranial infection problem would probably infiltrate the throat and lungs shortly after, effectively cutting off oxygen and letting these poor chanterelles suffocate in their own infection.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:40 AM   #263
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think of all the babies quietly infected.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:11 PM   #264
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:15 PM   #265
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They added an extra bank of windows on the right of first building. Crazy the amount of editing, almost seems like more work than green screening the entire thing.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 01:44 PM   #266
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 01:57 PM   #267
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Edmonton doesnt even look any different than usual, that must have saved their production a lot of money.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 01:57 PM   #268
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Have to say, I'm a big fan of the mushroom head zombies in the show, although I would think such a cranial infection problem would probably infiltrate the throat and lungs shortly after, effectively cutting off oxygen and letting these poor chanterelles suffocate in their own infection.
It think it's implied that not necessarily every infected person will become a 'clicker'. After all, there are many corpses in the city: people whose bodies were seemingly overwhelmed by the fungus, who crawled off to some dank corner and simply died. The fungus continues to grow on the deceased person's remains until it, too, doesn't get enough nutrients to sustain itself, dries out, and also 'dies'.

Put another way: if the fungal growth erupts from the top of the head and doesn't interfere with the airways a person could become a 'clicker', but if the fungal growth interferes with the airways (or, say, another fundamentally critical organ system like the cardiovascular system) that body will simply die and the fungus feeds off the decomposing corpse. As far as the fungus is concerned it doesn't really matter either way.

Spoiler!

Last edited by timun; 01-25-2023 at 01:59 PM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:08 PM   #269
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Weird, that's the office tower I work in behind that building. Or at least I think it is.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:31 PM   #270
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/entertainm...box=1674593167

Even before Gabriel Luna had officially landed the role of Tommy in HBO’s The Last of Us, he began doing his homework.

“Tommy exists in life,” says Luna, who, like his character, is from Austin, Texas. “I mean, he is a computer-generated character, but Jeffrey Pierce’s voice and his body and his heart (are) in that performance. So there is definitely something to study. There are elements of a really great performance that I’d be a fool not to embrace. So there’s that attempt to honour the character and to make him recognizable to the fans of the game.

He also became a Calgary Flames fanatic. In the winter of 2021, he went to four Flames games and also took in a game when he returned last week.

“I don’t root for the Kings, I don’t root for the Dallas Stars,” he says. “I didn’t have a hockey team until I came here and spent as much time as I did at the Saddledome. They won my love. So I’m a Flames fan for life.”
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 07:39 PM   #271
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
They won my love. So I’m a Flames fan for life.”
I don't know whether we should applaud him or apologize to him
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 07:40 PM   #272
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor bastard
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:41 PM   #273
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
https://calgaryherald.com/entertainm...box=1674593167

Even before Gabriel Luna had officially landed the role of Tommy in HBO’s The Last of Us, he began doing his homework.

“Tommy exists in life,” says Luna, who, like his character, is from Austin, Texas. “I mean, he is a computer-generated character, but Jeffrey Pierce’s voice and his body and his heart (are) in that performance. So there is definitely something to study. There are elements of a really great performance that I’d be a fool not to embrace. So there’s that attempt to honour the character and to make him recognizable to the fans of the game.

He also became a Calgary Flames fanatic. In the winter of 2021, he went to four Flames games and also took in a game when he returned last week.

“I don’t root for the Kings, I don’t root for the Dallas Stars,” he says. “I didn’t have a hockey team until I came here and spent as much time as I did at the Saddledome. They won my love. So I’m a Flames fan for life.”
Well I hope he has a long and successful career because lifelong crushing disappointment of being a Flames Fan is more than enough for any one person.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 07:42 PM   #274
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I don't know whether we should applaud him or apologize to him
Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Poor bastard
Lol! And completely unforced too. This is the life of a Flames fan. This Is The Way.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 10:50 PM   #275
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Lol! And completely unforced too. This is the life of a Flames fan. This Is The Way.
The time of filming was the heights of Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk so I don't blame him for falling for the team.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:56 PM   #276
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Huh, I've actually eaten at that vietnamese restaurant. It's a weird spot but the food's good -- never would have recognized it without the location spotting. Thanks!

Last edited by Flames0910; 01-25-2023 at 10:59 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:52 PM   #277
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

interesting to see the hue/tonal changes

never realized how much they can transform places in post-production to suit the atmosphere of a film/show

virtually nothing around the first building including the traffic lights/posts were kept, and the building looks larger in scale on the show than it was in real life. they really could've shot the whole thing with green screen seeing the work here haha

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 01-26-2023 at 12:08 AM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:07 AM   #278
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

A question for CGI experts? This show had one of the higher budgets I've seen for a TV series in a long time, they clearly went all out. The buildings that are actually in Calgary look great on screen, but there is a CLEAR difference in the buildings that weren't there. I mean they look almost like an art painter came in and literally just painted them in.

It's so bizarre how bad the non real buildings look. Is that really the best CGI can do in 2023 with a high budget?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:13 AM   #279
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
A question for CGI experts? This show had one of the higher budgets I've seen for a TV series in a long time, they clearly went all out. The buildings that are actually in Calgary look great on screen, but there is a CLEAR difference in the buildings that weren't there. I mean they look almost like an art painter came in and literally just painted them in.

It's so bizarre how bad the non real buildings look. Is that really the best CGI can do in 2023 with a high budget?
those "fake" backgrounds look pretty similar in a lot of recent shows

the walking dead was a slightly more budget look on the painted-style backgrounds, and obviously didn't have shots as grandiose as you see in LTOU

I find it passable tbh. it's pretty well impossible to replicate real lighting etc on objects edited in in post production, but they all appear to be a part of the space, more or less, even if the perspective is a little strange/abstract if you're really looking closely

I think the only time I didn't like it was when they were climbing down the ladder from the rooftop
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:20 AM   #280
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

A lot of that is probably exactly what you describe. They aren't CG as in they modelled all the skyscrapers from Boston in 3D and ran costly rendering passes on them. They are most likely cut and pasted pieces of digital photos of Boston buildings which then have digital paintings over top of the originals which act as a reference point for lighting and shadows.