Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2023, 11:59 AM   #2441
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

People read about Elon applying Aristotle’s First Principles to his problem solving strategies and hear him say “don’t live by analogy” and think that he is a living breathing demigod.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 12:33 PM   #2442
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Psi View Post
This thread is funny. A lot of people need to do a little more research and reading about Musk before you hop on the Musk trashing train that the media is trying to jam down everyone's throats.

Musk is an EXTREMELY intelligent person, one of the smartest on this planet. And Musk looks at things/issues/businesses from a completely different perspective than most people on the planet. There's a reason that almost everything he touches turns to gold...

The media wants you to believe that he's an idiot because the media knows the general public are idiots and they'll feed off of it and spread it. Musk has an extensive history of ruffling feathers when he takes control of a business, that's no secret. But his track record speaks for itself. He does things no other person on the planet even thinks about doing and he gets results.

People booing him and criticizing every move he makes, likely haven't made a meaningful contribution of their own to society and likely never will.
A lot of Musk's fortune is based on right place at right time as he struck when the iron was hot, following government money as a lot of his success was fueled by $5 billion in government subsidies. He's certainly intelligent enough to know how to play the game and I will give him credit for succeeding where many (myself included) thought he would fail by creating a legitimate car company in Tesla but it's pretty evident all the success has gone to his head and he's now under the illusion that he's now an expert at software, politics, procreation, and anything else that tickles his fancy.

I just don't understand what the legion of Musketeers adore him so given his ethics, the way he treats his employees, and runs his businesses. I guess your dream is to be a gigantic rich ####### then it makes sense.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2023, 12:38 PM   #2443
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
And all that is before you get into his ####### personality that even his family can't stand. Do you think the guy even has one close personal friend? I have my doubts, because he's a dick. Musk succeeds on things for the same reasons sociopaths make such "good" leaders. They don't give a #### about anyone but themselves.
It's called Asperger's Syndrome, look it up. Again, like most, you believe too much of the media BS. He might be a "dick" but he's the "dick" that's changing the world. All while the rest of the world complains about him and makes fun of him because they don't know any better. It's comical and sad.
Old 01-04-2023, 12:44 PM   #2444
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's called Asperger's Syndrome, look it up. Again, like most, you believe too much of the media BS. He might be a "dick" but he's the "dick" that's changing the world. All while the rest of the world complains about him and makes fun of him because they don't know any better. It's comical and sad.
LOL, ya, he has unconfirmed Asperger's, so that gives him the right to call people pedophiles. Sorry, I forgot that exception. My bad.

So you admit he's a dick, but we should still respect him? How big of a dick can he be before we are allowed to call him out?

I've been following Musk for years, I've seen many of his speeches, loads of commentary on him, followed the tech, and I've come to far different conclusions than you, it doesn't make my conclusions invalid, or that I am "making fun of him" becuase I don't know any better. That's a pretty obtuse take. Looking at Musk now, it sure seems this is just the rest of the world coming around.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 12:46 PM   #2445
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
He might be a "dick" but he's the "dick" that's changing the world. All while the rest of the world complains about him and makes fun of him because they don't know any better. It's comical and sad.
Change for the better? I'd like to see the argument for that. If he disappeared today, I'm not sure if the world would be better or worse off. I'd lean to the latter frankly. You could argue Bezo's is changing the world too, but has he made it better?

Disruption does not automatically equal positive change. Nor does being rich equal intelligence.
Old 01-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #2446
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I just don't understand what the legion of Musketeers adore him so given his ethics, the way he treats his employees, and runs his businesses. I guess your dream is to be a gigantic rich ####### then it makes sense.
The guy is literally changing the world in front of our eyes. He's taking businesses/industries that were historically mismanaged and inefficient and changing them for the better, forever.

He runs his companies with a no BS approach. None. And he is extremely efficient and cost effective. Hence why's been able to create so many successful companies. He's not always liked for his "attitude" and his ability to dismiss people/employees but he's almost always well respected regardless by said employees.

I suggest you all take the time to listen to his audiobook: Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance. It's fantastic and will show you a bit of the real Musk.
Old 01-04-2023, 12:49 PM   #2447
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

What's he changed? He hasn't done anything that hadn't been done before, he was just the first to do it at a bigger scale.
Old 01-04-2023, 12:56 PM   #2448
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

And he's far from being a great leader.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2023, 12:58 PM   #2449
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The guy is literally changing the world in front of our eyes. He's taking businesses/industries that were historically mismanaged and inefficient and changing them for the better, forever.

He runs his companies with a no BS approach. None. And he is extremely efficient and cost effective. Hence why's been able to create so many successful companies. He's not always liked for his "attitude" and his ability to dismiss people/employees but he's almost always well respected regardless by said employees.

I suggest you all take the time to listen to his audiobook: Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance. It's fantastic and will show you a bit of the real Musk.
No, he's really not. Go look up some of the lawsuits, and grievances filed from auto workers. Go look up people who worked at Twitter and dreaded his arrival, who's fears were materialized. Why is it so hard to admit he's a pretty big POS human being? A guy can invest in some cool tech, and still be a dick. A book from 7 years ago is going to miss a lot of "personal development" time over those years.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:00 PM   #2450
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is amazing the Elons transformation to “dick” in the public’s eyes corresponds to him moving towards the right and against main stream media

He was always a dick suckling off government subsidies. However , he does know how to get stuff done and inspire certain people , which is his greatest talent.

Anyone who has ever worked for a big tech company , or especially a Silicon Valley big tech company , knows 75% of what Elon says is spot on. While the details may be slightly off and some good/needed people will be caught in the crossfire , the premise of most of his statements in regards to Twitter and how it operated are very consistent across the industry.

Other companies are already starting the cull and changes as well , they are just doing it quietly Vs Elons in your face and pompus way of doing things
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:02 PM   #2451
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Ya! Leave Musk alone!
He's having a hard time!
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:07 PM   #2452
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Other companies are already starting the cull and changes as well , they are just doing it quietly Vs Elons in your face and pompus way of doing things
Those other companies are also feeling the vitriol and hatred… there is commonality and it isn’t Elon-specific
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:08 PM   #2453
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Ya! Leave Musk alone!

Be nice to Elon’s mom.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:09 PM   #2454
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
Just like Dogecoin, it isn’t gold but a bubble

https://twitter.com/user/status/1610323054210715648
This really most of the Qs. Look at Facebook, Netflix, Amazon, Apple, or just the NASDAQ 100 index. Growth stocks in the Qs have all been in a bubble.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:11 PM   #2455
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

He’s no different than the CEO of a bank, or a publicly traded O&G company, find efficiencies, fire people, increase stock price, etc etc. it’s just people apply this mythological status to these #######s in the tech industry and then call it “disrupting”.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:14 PM   #2456
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What you consider a no BS approach, I consider tyrannical in a lot of cases. High injury rates, sexual harassment, racism, extremely high stress, poor conditions, etc. He's basically running the Washington Redskins of the Automobile business.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:18 PM   #2457
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Even when a PE firm like Vista or Thoma Bravo take over, they realize that maintaining a company culture and a high level of CX is needed to grow. Yes, they do make brutal cuts in the name of efficiency, but those orgs have proven playbooks, and don't do it based on how they feel at any given point, or what their legion of sycophants say.
Old 01-04-2023, 01:20 PM   #2458
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

But Elon did not want to maintain the culture . He wanted to do the complete opposite (for better or worse)
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:27 PM   #2459
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

And I'll admit a bias: a good friend of mine for like 10 yrs was a VP at Twitter in London - until last month.
There was nothing really wrong with Twitter's corporate culture. From what I heard, it was one of the best, inclusive, and most equitable places to work for the day-to-day people getting stuff done. What was broken were some of the leadership and processes.
However, Elon conflated culture with processes and we're seeing the results of that.
Old 01-04-2023, 01:37 PM   #2460
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there should always be a healthy skepticism concerning Businessmen, especially people in the mold of Musk.

Many people are either averse to or incapable of, change.

You couldnt plunk an 80s Executive into a 2023 Company and expect great things because the only thing thats changed is the street price of cocaine?

Elon has some ideas, but I think the World operates very differently in reality in comparison to how it operates in his head.

For sure, maybe its just that Elon is operating 'Streets Ahead' of the rest of the World and really, truly is the smartest man in the room. Its possible.

I'd surmise it to be highly improbable and I certainly wouldnt put my money on it. I dont have a couple hundred Billion dollars to lose acting like a petulant monkey.

I'd wager rather that Musk started off with many advantages, hit a few home-runs early on off of ideas and financing and moments of opportunity but that now, when his acumen is actually being put to the test its being measured, weighed and found wanting.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: