Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2022, 03:36 PM   #201
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Sounds like a lot of far-right bots were launched on Twitter over the last couple of days. Will be interesting to see how Musk deals with those.

There also seems to be a migration of leftist accounts to counter.social. Although because the left is the left, there is now backlash against the founder of counter.social over some comments they made 10 years ago.

I'm actually interested to see how the counter.social experiment fares in comparison to attempted right-wing twitter sites such as Parler. I have a theory that the reason that Parler and Trump's social media site haven't seen much success is because so much of the online right's identity is based on trolling the left. So the appeal of Parler is less due to the fact that leftists have no desire to congregate there.

Conversely, I see a space that is designed to keep hate-speech, trolls, and bots out as appealing to the online left. So if they migrate to a new platform, will the online right then lose interest in Twitter?

I think we're several years out from that, unless media personalities also migrate elsewhere, but it'll be interesting either way.
Well, one week in and you're already wrong about that. Hilarious.

Quote:
Twitter says that fluctuations in follower counts that occurred on its platform after it announced that it had agreed to be acquired by Elon Musk were organic in nature. Once the news was announced, numerous high-profile cases saw increases or decreases in followers. Twitter confirmed to TechCrunch that these fluctuations were the result of new account creation and deactivation and were not caused by bots or due to action on the social media giant’s part.

“We’ve been looking into recent fluctuations in follower counts,” Twitter said in a statement. “While we continue to take action on accounts that violate our spam policy which can affect follower counts, these fluctuations appear to largely have been a result of an increase in new account creation and deactivation. We’ll continue looking into these follower count fluctuations.”
https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/27/tw...-deal-organic/

lol.

IT HAS TO BE BOTS!@#!@#!@#OMG
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:40 PM   #202
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

lol.

Did you hit your head and lose your reading comprehension abilities, or does your massive Musk-boner just redirect all blood-flow from your brain?

"Sounds like" isn't a prediction or a statement. It's me reporting what I was seeing from data crunchers on twitter, which I posted the sources for. The dude who initially reported his findings noted twitter's response and said he finds it highly unlikely. He very well could be wrong and this could be a bunch of people re-activating their accounts.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 03:41 PM   #203
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Old Twitter pandered to the woke activist, new twitter panders to the sperglord, not surprising that this is a time of upheaval and wild fluctuations.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:45 PM   #204
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Old Twitter pandered to the woke activist, new twitter panders to the sperglord, not surprising that this is a time of upheaval and wild fluctuations.
Had to look that one up. What a time to be alive.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:46 PM   #205
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Christ, I'm both of these things. I'm just the worst.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 03:50 PM   #206
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hit my head and bought $75,000 of Tesla a few years ago. I remember vividly people saying Elon will NEVER be to accomplish X.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:52 PM   #207
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I hit my head and bought $75,000 of Tesla a few years ago. I remember vividly people saying Elon will NEVER be to accomplish X.
We are quite aware already you own Tesla stock.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:53 PM   #208
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jesus Christ, you guys are obtuse. When I say "overpromise and underdeliver," I'm talking about whether what he's delivering provides the overall major societal impact/net benefit that he overpromises on. I couldn't care less what he delivers to his shareholders.

EDIT: Also, call me crazy, but I tend to believe that companies receiving billions of dollars in government subsidies should have some public accountability.

Last edited by rubecube; 04-28-2022 at 03:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 03:59 PM   #209
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
This sentence might very well be the name for his next kid.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 04:06 PM   #210
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Jesus Christ, you guys are obtuse. When I say "overpromise and underdeliver," I'm talking about whether what he's delivering provides the overall major societal impact/net benefit that he overpromises on. I couldn't care less what he delivers to his shareholders.
I am the exact opposite which approach do you think is better.
Quote:
EDIT: Also, call me crazy, but I tend to believe that companies receiving billions of dollars in government subsidies should have some public accountability.
What kind of accontability? Does Elon Musk have less than other CEOs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
We are quite aware already you own Tesla stock.
Some of you still won't learn. You'd rather make sarcastic quips, mock Elon Musk and his companies and other childish nonsense instead of looking at things rationally and seeing opportunity.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:12 PM   #211
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Is "not enough people are on twitter" really a problem?
Instagram has 800 million users.

Developing a better user base with more organic growth and having high profile users would be massive for traffic which is what they want.

From an advertising perspective they need lots of quality users to generate more value from ad spend.
From a high profile account perspective, they need more users in order to convince the CEO of a big consumer brand to pay per thousand followers he can have on Twitter.

As an idea.

You're thinking way, way below the potential of a service like this.

Twitter has quality content right now. Much more than Facebook & Instagram. And yet both Facebook & Instagram generate WAY more revenue and have more users.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:16 PM   #212
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Just because his groupies continue to shell out money for his plethora of grifts, doesn't mean they still aren't grifts.

I totally agree that he'll probably be successful though.
I tend to side more with Fuzz on some of the stuff with Tesla, and am a lot more skeptical than I used to be when it comes to Tesla, but 300k EVs shipped per quarter is a grift?

As a comparison, Ford lost how much this past quarter?

Your meltdown here is hilarious. Spin, spin, spin.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:19 PM   #213
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Did you hit your head and lose your reading comprehension abilities, or does your massive Musk-boner just redirect all blood-flow from your brain?

"Sounds like" isn't a prediction or a statement. It's me reporting what I was seeing from data crunchers on twitter, which I posted the sources for. The dude who initially reported his findings noted twitter's response and said he finds it highly unlikely. He very well could be wrong and this could be a bunch of people re-activating their accounts.
Please. You said they had to be bots. There are accounts seeing hundreds of thousands of new followers and Twitter is saying it 'organic growth.'

The only way that is happening is if they were indeed shadow banning people and restricting their accounts. Suddenly there is a new directive and accounts are seeing that kind of follower growth? Okay then.

Watching this play out is going to be bloody hilarious, because we're one week in and you're completely unhinged already. LOL!
Old 04-28-2022, 04:21 PM   #214
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Newscorp bought Myspace for around 600 million in 2005, it was valued at 12 billion then and did generate around 100 million a year in revenue, Facebook overtook it for visitors in 2008 and killed it in a few years, you would think Musk would know his history
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 04:41 PM   #215
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Sounds like a lot of far-right bots were launched on Twitter over the last couple of days..
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Please. You said they had to be bots. There are accounts seeing hundreds of thousands of new followers and Twitter is saying it 'organic growth.'

The only way that is happening is if they were indeed shadow banning people and restricting their accounts. Suddenly there is a new directive and accounts are seeing that kind of follower growth? Okay then.

Watching this play out is going to be bloody hilarious, because we're one week in and you're completely unhinged already. LOL!
Who's completely unhinged again?

Last edited by FormerPresJamesTaylor; 04-28-2022 at 04:44 PM.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 04:53 PM   #216
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am the exact opposite which approach do you think is better.

What kind of accontability? Does Elon Musk have less than other CEOs?

Some of you still won't learn. You'd rather make sarcastic quips, mock Elon Musk and his companies and other childish nonsense instead of looking at things rationally and seeing opportunity.
I guess it depends when you bought, but there was a period of time where Tesla had a real possibility of failing. I think Musk said they had less than a 24 hour window where it could have gone either way. To me, that's a gamble, not a rational move.

For a few years after that it was in no way a sure thing, but the band wagon was on a roll by that point, despite the risks that still existed. I do recognize their was a period where the risk dropped enough to make sense, and ya, in hindsight everyone who didn't invest missed it. But gloating and mocking is a silly way to celebrate things working out for you.

And now? Does it make sense to invest? It's still got a massive valuation based on share value. It could go up or down at this point, depending on many many factors.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 05:30 PM   #217
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
But gloating and mocking is a silly way to celebrate things working out for you.
I'm not the one mocking, it's the people who only care about their side in the culture war hence the posts Elon bad he can't keep promises.
Quote:
And now? Does it make sense to invest? It's still got a massive valuation based on share value. It could go up or down at this point, depending on many many factors.
Look at the fundamentals of Tesla and decide. Growth, cash on hand, profit margin, technology etc. it's not hard.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:36 PM   #218
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

lol.

“Twitter says…”

Yes, because they are always honest…

https://www.theverge.com/2022/4/28/2...-2022-earnings

Twitter miscounted its daily users for three years straight
How did this happen twice?

Quote:
Twitter overstated the number of daily users on its service for three years straight, overcounting by up to 1.9 million users each quarter. The error was due to Twitter inadvertently counting multiple accounts as active when they were all tied to a single user, even if they weren’t all in use. These incorrect usage numbers were given for Q1 2019 through Q4 2021.

This is, somehow, not the first time Twitter has done this. In 2017, Twitter also realized it had been overstating its user figures by about 1 million to 2 million users for three years. The repeat mistake was revealed today in Twitter’s earnings release for the first quarter of 2022.

The updated figures aren’t exactly a game-changer: Twitter now has 229 million daily users, which is still up more than 10 million, even from last quarter’s inflated number. But they are one final embarrassing slip-up for Twitter as the company wrangles a deal to be taken private, at which point it will no longer have to share these figures publicly.
More new users, or same users creating additional accounts?
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:14 AM   #219
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Is Trump writing his tweets now? Cripes. Get a grip Elon.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1520017094007476224
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:24 AM   #220
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

the lefts overreaction to Musk is embarrassing.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote