Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-24-2023, 11:42 AM   #1901
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: the middle
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Boo on deferring those projects. And I don't even live anywhere near the area.
They’d represent a further 2% property tax increase, so if that’s what the people want, make your opinion known.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 12:02 PM   #1902
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!
 
BlackArcher101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Have they done anything with the windfall from the Enmax access fee's? I believe they were on target for over 3x the budget amount, getting $300mil. What's happening with that other than the promise to look into how they calculate the fees (we are the only city that bases them on the RRO).
__________________
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 04:55 PM   #1903
DoubleK
Franchise Player
 
DoubleK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Have they done anything with the windfall from the Enmax access fee's? I believe they were on target for over 3x the budget amount, getting $300mil. What's happening with that other than the promise to look into how they calculate the fees (we are the only city that bases them on the RRO).
The City would need to make amendments to the Franchise Agreement with Enmax, who would then have to apply to the Alberta Utilities Commission for approval.

This won't happen overnight once they decide what they want to do.
__________________
It's only game. Why you heff to be mad?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 10:56 AM   #1904
GordonBlue
Franchise Player
 
GordonBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Alberta
Exp:
Default

Calgary mayor will not attend annual menorah lighting, says event has pivoted to become political

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...tend-1.7051684

"Chabad Lubavitch Alberta's senior Rabbi Menachem Matusof told CBC the event would function as both a celebration and a demonstration in support for Israel amid the ongoing conflict in Gaza. "

Once the event pivoted to be a demonstration to support Israel, she was smart to step back to avid giving the appearance she was taking sides in the conflict.

no win situation for her as she's probably going to get raked over the coals for not going, too.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 12-07-2023 at 10:59 AM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 11:30 AM   #1905
woob
#1 Goaltender
 
woob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Exp:
Default

Yup, definitely a no win situation for her.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 11:42 AM   #1906
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger
 
The Fisher Account's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Looking forward to the Freedom Convoy masses weighing in on this one.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 12:06 PM   #1907
pylon
NOT Chris Butler
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Exp:
Default

In my opinion she's a terrible mayor, and is hopefully replaced in the next election. But it has nothing to do with this current situation.

As a Jewish guy I don't care if she lights a menorah or not. In fact I don't think political figures of any type in a country as diverse as Canada should be involving themselves in any religious ceremonies. It can be interpreted as bias whether she is actually bias or not. Now she's being labelled as a Jew hating anti-semite by the mob whether she is or not. And even if she is, that's her right and prerogative.

Stick to running the City. Do a good job at that and I really couldn't care less who you love, hate or align with politically.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 12:08 PM   #1908
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary - Centre West
Exp:
Default

I don't have a lot of positive feedback for Gondek as mayor (it's hard to find anything really), but I have to agree with her decision to avoid that event given the pivot to being political.

I'm frankly a little sick and tired of people insisting we take a position in the conflict. My position is "stop killing each other" and that's as far as it goes, because I know that I'm not nearly well-versed enough in the decades of conflict and history between these two sides to pick one, and no, I am not going to invest time in that misery to become educated on the matter because I can't influence it anyway.
__________________
-James
GO
FLAMES GO.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 01:12 PM   #1909
bizaro86
Franchise Player
 
bizaro86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I don't have a lot of positive feedback for Gondek as mayor (it's hard to find anything really), but I have to agree with her decision to avoid that event given the pivot to being political.

I'm frankly a little sick and tired of people insisting we take a position in the conflict. My position is "stop killing each other" and that's as far as it goes, because I know that I'm not nearly well-versed enough in the decades of conflict and history between these two sides to pick one, and no, I am not going to invest time in that misery to become educated on the matter because I can't influence it anyway.
Yeah, I think Gondek has been well below average as a mayor and I won't vote for her again.

But there's no reason for the mayor of Calgary to take a position on Israel-Palestine, imo.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 01:31 PM   #1910
fotze2
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Mar 2023
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I don't have a lot of positive feedback for Gondek as mayor (it's hard to find anything really), but I have to agree with her decision to avoid that event given the pivot to being political.

I'm frankly a little sick and tired of people insisting we take a position in the conflict. My position is "stop killing each other" and that's as far as it goes, because I know that I'm not nearly well-versed enough in the decades of conflict and history between these two sides to pick one, and no, I am not going to invest time in that misery to become educated on the matter because I can't influence it anyway.
Exactly, there is such an arrogance to people. I have a Jew"ish" wife, gross deaths on all sides. What in the F does it matter what Gondek or any figure thinks? This is a total set up because she has dark skin and has some sort ethnicity, goad her on.

If our mayor was Saul Rosenbaum, I'm sure it would be the same.

Such arrogance that we think that Canada isn't inconsequential. Let alone a certain city in it or one certain citizen of it. Is some person in Israel/Gaza crying about their brother being dead wondering what Jyoti Gondek thinks? We should go to a bee hive and ask what the Queen thinks.

Politics is so stupid. It's 90% trying to get someone to say something controversial and 1% things that matter. Who knows what the other 7% is about.
fotze2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 01:42 PM   #1911
timun
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Politics is so stupid. It's 90% trying to get someone to say something controversial and 1% things that matter. Who knows what the other 7% is about.
9%, not 7% (), and it's about kickbacks and graft bro.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 01:44 PM   #1912
topfiverecords
Franchise Player
 
topfiverecords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hyperbole Chamber
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Exactly, there is such an arrogance to people. I have a Jew"ish" wife, gross deaths on all sides. What in the F does it matter what Gondek or any figure thinks? This is a total set up because she has dark skin and has some sort ethnicity, goad her on.

If our mayor was Saul Rosenbaum, I'm sure it would be the same.

Such arrogance that we think that Canada isn't inconsequential. Let alone a certain city in it or one certain citizen of it. Is some person in Israel/Gaza crying about their brother being dead wondering what Jyoti Gondek thinks? We should go to a bee hive and ask what the Queen thinks.

Politics is so stupid. It's 90% trying to get someone to say something controversial and 1% things that matter. Who knows what the other 7% is about.
"Uh, sorry to interrupt there Dave, your numbers in that table on your previous slide add up to 98%"
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 01:56 PM   #1913
D as in David
First Line Centre
 
D as in David's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
9%, not 7% (), and it's about kickbacks and graft bro.
There are three kinds of people in the world; those who understand mathematics and those who don't.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 02:31 PM   #1914
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary - Centre West
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
9%, not 7% (), and it's about kickbacks and graft bro.
This is government, the 2% is tax.
__________________
-James
GO
FLAMES GO.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 03:49 PM   #1915
btimbit
Franchise Player
 
btimbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SW Calgary
Exp:
Default

I don't care one way or the other if the mayor lights a Manoruh, in fact if it was because the event was turned more into a political thing rather than a religious one then staying out of it was probably a good call. But I'd rather the mayor stay out of religious events too

I did find it disappointing to see Farkas immediately take the opportunity to turn back into old Jeromy and not miss a chance to release a cringe statement about it
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 04:49 PM   #1916
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger
 
The Fisher Account's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Farkas did his BS public relations redemption tour and now he’s dipping his toe back in the city politics game.

The sad thing is we are going to hear even more from him in the coming months. Barf
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 07:21 PM   #1917
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary - Centre West
Exp:
Default

Farkas' response was a disappointing one.
__________________
-James
GO
FLAMES GO.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 01:17 AM   #1918
woob
#1 Goaltender
 
woob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Exp:
Default

Farkas gonna Farkas.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2023, 11:11 AM   #1919
woob
#1 Goaltender
 
woob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Exp:
Default

His response over on /r/calgary.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com...je9/?context=3
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 11:13 AM   #1920
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

LOL... "boycott". Farkas hasn't changed, he's just hidden it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:45 PM.

Calgary Flames
2023-24




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021