Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #461
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
The one area where SWTOR is seriously lacking is in the MMO side of things, at least at low levels (I've made it to level 17).

I'm finding I'd really like to do more "flashpoints", but finding people to run them with is an absolute pain in the ass. WoW solved this problem years ago with the LFG system - I'm really missing the ability to queue for an instance and run them back to back.

The LFG system is atrocious - it's identical to the one that Everquest had... 12 years ago. And where the heck is the ability to mark pulls - if you're going to make pulling a game play mechanic, you should make marking part of the base game, not some gimmiky item you have to buy with "social" points.

Single player experience is great though - but I'm really struggling to feel I'll get my money's worth out of it when I have to pay to play. Not sure what that monthly fee is giving me...
Marking pulls:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=2162

Quote:
Originally Posted by waerl
There is an area right above your center hot bars. It has two sections; on the left is yourself with a portrait, on the right is your current target. If you right-click on your current target's portrait, it will give you options for marking.
I think as you keep playing, you might find more of the MMO side of things. The story is definitely single player driven, but every planet has a whole bunch of quests you have to do in groups. I haven't personally found it too difficult to find groups through chat so far, but this could change as server/area density decreases. They do have a queue system for the PVP warzones. Just not flashpoints or group quests. I do like the group conversation system for questgivers and that the start and finish of the group quests happen outside of the instance itself, so you don't have to be rushed by people who just want to blow through and skip the story part of group quests.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superfraggle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #462
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

I do agree that this could have easily worked as a single player game as well, without the monthly fee.

My current main, since Daragon Trail is generally full, is on the Bastion server.
Name: Gobo
Class: Bounty Hunter
Old 01-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #463
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

the LFG system has been one of the biggest complaints made on the swtor forums so Bioware would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't listen. and as it was mentioned before, you can mark targets with different icons by right clicking on the mob's portrait
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #464
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

I'm lvl 19 now, I like the leveling system personally as I don't have to deal with a ton of idiots who run around. It is kinda like playing KOTOR or something as well, it has a nice single player RPG feel to it.

A lot less boring than WoW at low levels, I wanted to shoot myself. Feels a lot less "grindy" right now.

Should also add, the one thing that is noticeable is the lack of traveling. Thank god. Nothing is as painful as spending 30 minutes riding 10 different griffins to meet up with your buddies.

The worlds (right now) feel a little bit smaller, but not bad.

Last edited by CaramonLS; 01-01-2012 at 11:42 PM.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #465
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Hit level 23 today and I just finished Balmorra (tough planet) and I'm on the way to Nar Shadda.

I managed to buy a intimidation helmet. Helmets seem to have voice distortion, so I've gone from a Sith Warrior with a poncy British Accent to something much more Vader Sinister. I've also gained another companion.

The leveling up is starting to really slow down as I need 100,000 points to move to the next level.

I still don't have choke or force push which is disappointing so I still don't have anything in the way of a ranged attack.

I'm enjoying Starship combat and its a quick way to level up your character as you tend to end up with about 20k in xp if you complete a mission.

2 more levels to get my personal transport which should speed the game up a bit.

I am getting sick of serving Darth fatass, I really wish to kill him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:59 AM   #466
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Last edited by Thor; 01-02-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:26 AM   #467
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Well I finally got it to work, just created a new email, new account, from scratch.

Anyone know if there is a SWTOR android security key app? On the normal android app store its only available for US/Canada it seems.

Bah what a joke this all is, Iceland you can't buy this game online, apparently we're not good enough to make Origins EU country list for which people are special enough to buy the game online. Called around to a whole whack of stores in Iceland and everyone is sold out.

Last edited by Thor; 01-02-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #468
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

lol the suffering continues, an Icelandic message forum suggested a website that sells gold and all that shady stuff for games, but they also sell keys and he used them to get the game.

So I go ahead, throw caution to the wind and get an error that some people are having which can take 3 days to resolve, the code is ok, but you get an error that says "message not found" which is apparently common enough to find plenty of threads on in the SWTOR support forums.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #469
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

I second the captain's recommendation of doing your ship missions - absolutely crazy amounts of XP for the little amount of time you invest in doing them.

Can you do them every day?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #470
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
I second the captain's recommendation of doing your ship missions - absolutely crazy amounts of XP for the little amount of time you invest in doing them.

Can you do them every day?
I think so. They're also a nice change of pace from the regular slog of questing.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #471
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd love to do the space combat missions, but I have absolutely no idea where to go to get them. (edit: found them - that was fun!)

I'm also struggling with how long it takes just to get from place to place. Cities seem stupid big and every quest seems to be on the opposite side of the map. I spend more time walking my character's fat ass around then actually playing the game. The sprint buff was a godsend, otherwise I would have quit before I hit level 15. Whatever the second planet for sith is, they decided not to connect the taxi at the back of the city with the front - why make me waste 10 minutes running around the damn city just to train a couple skills?

Another travel thing that drives me nuts is that it takes me 5 min to get from the planet to my ship, and then I have to wade through another 5 min of menus just to travel to a different planet. Surely they can remove the unnecessary hanger areas and let us just go straight to our ships...

<gamedesignrant>
For that matter, what the hell is the point of ranking skills? I'm paying meaningless credits just to get "rank 4" in some skill I already have. Just make the skill scale with my level/stats and make skill training somewhat meaningful rather then a ridiculous chore.
</gamedesignrant>

Last edited by llama64; 01-02-2012 at 03:04 PM.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #472
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
I'd love to do the space combat missions, but I have absolutely no idea where to go to get them. (edit: found them - that was fun!)

I'm also struggling with how long it takes just to get from place to place. Cities seem stupid big and every quest seems to be on the opposite side of the map. I spend more time walking my character's fat ass around then actually playing the game. The sprint buff was a godsend, otherwise I would have quit before I hit level 15. Whatever the second planet for sith is, they decided not to connect the taxi at the back of the city with the front - why make me waste 10 minutes running around the damn city just to train a couple skills?

Another travel thing that drives me nuts is that it takes me 5 min to get from the planet to my ship, and then I have to wade through another 5 min of menus just to travel to a different planet. Surely they can remove the unnecessary hanger areas and let us just go straight to our ships...

<gamedesignrant>
For that matter, what the hell is the point of ranking skills? I'm paying meaningless credits just to get "rank 4" in some skill I already have. Just make the skill scale with my level/stats and make skill training somewhat meaningful rather then a ridiculous chore.
</gamedesignrant>
Both of those problems are because they copied it right out of WoW.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #473
PowerPlayoffs06
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I made a Sniper on Daragon Trailer named Movaar. Up to level 20 now. Really enjoy him a lot more than the Trooper I made on the Light Side.

On a side note, I just logged on and opened the Social Tab which auto-populates with people on the planet you're currently on and I saw an 18 Sith Assassin named Capt'n-crunch on the top of the list...
PowerPlayoffs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #474
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPlayoffs06 View Post
I made a Sniper on Daragon Trailer named Movaar. Up to level 20 now. Really enjoy him a lot more than the Trooper I made on the Light Side.

On a side note, I just logged on and opened the Social Tab which auto-populates with people on the planet you're currently on and I saw an 18 Sith Assassin named Capt'n-crunch on the top of the list...
Too bad its not me, I could use a good sniper on some group missions.

I'm level 24 on Nar Shadda as a Sith Juggernaut. I got a companion with healing which makes a big difference.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #475
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

<gamedesignrant>
</gamedesignrant>
When you get to the bigger cities, you'll find speeders lying around that you can jump on and rip around the map pretty quick.

The Hanger thing can be al little annoying, but some of the cities have sales thingy's in the hanger.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #476
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
When you get to the bigger cities, you'll find speeders lying around that you can jump on and rip around the map pretty quick.

The Hanger thing can be al little annoying, but some of the cities have sales thingy's in the hanger.
And when you hit level 25, you can get your own speeder. Costs 40,000 for the skill and 8,000 for the speeder, so save up. When you get knocked off the speeder because you went too close to some bad guys, it's pretty realistic too...instead of ending up on your feet firing because your speeder magically disappeared, you get flung face first into the ground and lie there for a little bit. Too long, imo, but I appreciate the realism.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #477
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was on Nar Shadda and they had speeders just laying around, so I decided to grab one and go for a spin, and sure enough I got blasted out of my seat and lay there for a good minute on my face while my companion tried to defend me and heal me.

40,000 is pretty expensive when the average awards are like 500 credits, and your picking up 30 credits off of bodies.

I'm on my fourth world and I've managed to save up about 26k, and thats without buying armor or weapons.

I do have some problems and questions, that maybe you gurus can help me with.

I've picked up modifications for my light saber and armour.

I go to a mod bench and it shows what I can mod (I never see armor there) but when I click on a weapon for example the bench screen opens with some garbled text, no diagram of the weapon and I can't do anything.

Question 2, I keep sending my companions on missions that pick up mod components, but when I go to their mod screen I have a mod that needs Silica, and another one that needs Dask, where do I find those materials. And how do I get my companions to build the mods.

Question 3, I have shielding mods for my armor, but it states that I need a motor and generator, where do I find those and how do I mod my armor.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #478
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I was on Nar Shadda and they had speeders just laying around, so I decided to grab one and go for a spin, and sure enough I got blasted out of my seat and lay there for a good minute on my face while my companion tried to defend me and heal me.

40,000 is pretty expensive when the average awards are like 500 credits, and your picking up 30 credits off of bodies.

I'm on my fourth world and I've managed to save up about 26k, and thats without buying armor or weapons.

I go to a mod bench and it shows what I can mod (I never see armor there) but when I click on a weapon for example the bench screen opens with some garbled text, no diagram of the weapon and I can't do anything.

Question 2, I keep sending my companions on missions that pick up mod components, but when I go to their mod screen I have a mod that needs Silica, and another one that needs Dask, where do I find those materials. And how do I get my companions to build the mods.

Question 3, I have shielding mods for my armor, but it states that I need a motor and generator, where do I find those and how do I mod my armor.

1) you don't need a mod bench, just shift + right click (i think) on the item and the mod window will show up

2) you have to get those materials from your gathering profession (I think scavenging is what you need). Those plus the mod components are what will make up your crafted mod

3) not sure what it mean by the motor and generator but if it is in fact a mod then it should just pop onto your armor

i should mention that only armor that has the mod slots available (orange and purple) work for this.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #479
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:

You're trying to mod a "green" item.

I think it is bugged or something, the item probably shouldn't come up on the mod screen (it does that for me too).

Most mod-able items are blue or higher in terms of their value. It also says something like Hilt (16), Crystal (8), etc on the item properties, which means that you can mod it.

If you do any of the Flashpoints, you can find lightsabers and armor you can mod (thats where most of the high end gear is). Also you can buy some with your commendations as well.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #480
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Also, what crew skills did everyone get?

I have ARKY, Treasure Hunting and Artiface.