Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2022, 03:06 PM   #841
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the looks of the trailer. Honestly kinda think this should be a theatrical release. Feel like they could build that sort of hype around it.
Old 03-15-2022, 04:06 PM   #842
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I like the looks of the trailer. Honestly kinda think this should be a theatrical release. Feel like they could build that sort of hype around it.
Well she will feature heavily in the next Captain Marvel movie
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 06:25 PM   #843
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I of course am not sure I like the change in her powers, but that's insignificant. Ms. Marvel looks like it will be a good watch.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:34 PM   #844
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Looks pretty bad, I think they know it's bad too since they're sending it out against their own Obi-Wan Kenobi show.
The time and attention span to watch more than one show? With all of the on demand and PVR options out there?? In this economy???
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:12 PM   #845
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think there's a lot of crossover in the target audience for Obi Wan and Ms Marvel.

Ms Marvel looks like it's going for the Shazam-type crowd. A younger audience than their normal fare.
Old 03-16-2022, 01:29 PM   #846
monkey brewery
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I don't think there's a lot of crossover in the target audience for Obi Wan and Ms Marvel.

Ms Marvel looks like it's going for the Shazam-type crowd. A younger audience than their normal fare.

You kidding? I suspect there's tremendous crossover of the fanbases, ages be damned.

Nerds of all ages are already reorganizing their DND schedules to have two nights off a week.
monkey brewery is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkey brewery For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2022, 06:08 PM   #847
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

i'm a 100% consumer of Star Wars and Marvel content, so I plan to watch both, weather or not I'm the target for the specific shows.

Hell, I'm even a 100% consumer of DC content, as long as I don't have to spend any extra money on it, because they don't deserve my money for a least a few years after taking advantage of me with Aquaman and BvsS and JL and Suicide Squad......
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 06:51 PM   #848
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey brewery View Post
You kidding? I suspect there's tremendous crossover of the fanbases, ages be damned.

Nerds of all ages are already reorganizing their DND schedules to have two nights off a week.

I agree there's probably a lot of audience crossover, but you like what you like. I'm pretty quick to skip or drop a show if it doesn't hold my interest - including Marvel. Now if you'll excuse me, the first of my dice towers has 3D printed, and I have to get painting
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:05 PM   #849
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I took a look at the Oscar nominated songs for this year. I think it's a scam to make sure a song from an animated movie doesn't get it.

Of all the awesome songs from Encanto, only DOS ORUGUITAS was nominated.
I'd argue it's perhaps the weakest song in the movie.
(It's the song near the end where Abuela sings about her dead husband)
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:25 PM   #850
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's quite a nice song, but I was surprised they didn't nominate We Don't Talk About Bruno or Surface Pressure instead.

Miranda is only an Oscar away from the EGOT and I think there's still a good chance he'll get it this year, especially if the voters treat it like an award for the whole soundtrack.
Old 03-18-2022, 03:26 PM   #851
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It's quite a nice song, but I was surprised they didn't nominate We Don't Talk About Bruno or Surface Pressure instead.

Miranda is only an Oscar away from the EGOT and I think there's still a good chance he'll get it this year, especially if the voters treat it like an award for the whole soundtrack.
except he's going against Van Morrison, Billie Elish, Dianne Warren, and Beyonce.

he's in tough and I think he'd have had a better chance with another song.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:52 PM   #852
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I guess tastes vary - Dos Oruguitas is my favourite song from Encanto (We Don't Talk About Bruno being my #2), but I'm a sucker for sappy sentimental songs. I find it interesting how many people really like Surface Pressure, as while I think the lyrics are great, it didn't do much for me musically.
delayedreflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:03 PM   #853
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayedreflex View Post
I guess tastes vary - Dos Oruguitas is my favourite song from Encanto (We Don't Talk About Bruno being my #2), but I'm a sucker for sappy sentimental songs. I find it interesting how many people really like Surface Pressure, as while I think the lyrics are great, it didn't do much for me musically.
From the little I read after I posted, Dos Oruguitas is the only song the Encanto people submitted as they didn't want to compete against themselves.

They felt that it was the most well written of the songs and most perfectly captured what the movie is about.

So that being the case, I take back my critique.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:01 PM   #854
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cinemablend.com/movies/l...-consideration

Quote:
I’m still proud of ‘Dos Oruguitas’ as the submission. When those are the parameters, you have to pick the thing that best exemplifies the spirit of the movie, and it contains all of it inside this song – as opposed to a journey of a particular character. It’s the foundational story, but I’m not going to say it wasn’t hard [to choose].

Maybe they should have a best soundtrack award where all the original songs in the film are taken into account (separate from the Original Score award).
Old 03-19-2022, 12:45 AM   #855
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
From the little I read after I posted, Dos Oruguitas is the only song the Encanto people submitted as they didn't want to compete against themselves.

They felt that it was the most well written of the songs and most perfectly captured what the movie is about.

So that being the case, I take back my critique.
I read this last month about it which explains the choice

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...no-1235087310/

It's a disney thing about the one song, they used to send in multiple and for the original lion king, beauty and the beast, and Aladdin, they had multiple nominees

But now they pick 1, and they and miranda decided

They also had to decide before the movie came out, I wonder if it was a few weeks after and bruno had turned into such a hit if they would have gone the other way
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2022, 03:01 PM   #856
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how many people in Alberta will hate Moon Knight because the guy is named Marc Spector.
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2022, 03:18 PM   #857
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I wonder how many people in Alberta will hate Moon Knight because the guy is named Marc Spector.
And if they’re Turkish!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 01:19 PM   #858
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Finally got around to watching Dopesick. Pretty depressing but it was excellent. One of my favourite mini-series in recent memory (Chernobyl and Station Eleven are another couple favourites).
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2022, 01:31 PM   #859
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Finally got around to watching Dopesick. Pretty depressing but it was excellent. One of my favourite mini-series in recent memory (Chernobyl and Station Eleven are another couple favourites).
Ugh....Dopesick.

I think I posted it in another thread, but that was the cinematic equivalent of a kick to the face.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2022, 06:27 PM   #860
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ugh....Dopesick.

I think I posted it in another thread, but that was the cinematic equivalent of a kick to the face.
Watching Dopesick and Chernobyl back-to-back should come with a warning and help line number.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote