Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2024, 11:17 AM   #61
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I think that is an issue with period pieces or historical dramas nowadays. There is too much criticism for certain pieces "ignoring" parts of history or not being representative.

I think shows like this, be it through producers or studios, feel compelled to cover too many aspects, which either bloats a production, or water downs the main plot point.

Tuskegee need their own miniseries - it would honestly be a more compelling historical story than Masters of the Air. Why put them in for a half episode in the second-to-last episode before the finale (especially when they are only tangentially related to the main plot).

This may come off a bit, I don't know, but, as a series, you will never eclipse a portrayal of the holocaust from a US soldier's perspective then "why we fight" in Band of Brothers. It is such an awful episode of television and hits hard. So in this series, why even have that small of a touch on it? do it justice or leave it out.
This aggravates me so much.

I mean, here you have a group of Black men, well-educated and brave men no less, who are volunteering to fight for a country that, at this point in history, treats them like crap.

Huge plot point.

Then they get captured and are bunked in with white prisoners in a concentration Camp.

The Americans hate black people, the Germans hate black people, the Soviets hate black people and yet despite all of this they still volunteer to fight, fly and die for a Country that treats them like dirt.

Now tell me you can't make a compelling series of TV out of that!

I mean, thats served on a platter.

What Masters of the Air tried to do was illustrate the conflict between the white soldiers and black soldiers being forced to share the same barracks, but they touched on it just so barely...why even?

Again, if you cant do it justice, work around it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 11:48 AM   #62
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tuskegee Airman got a good TV movie many years ago. Solid watch if I recall.

Edit: Nobody better suggest Red Tails, all around terrible movie.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 11:56 AM   #63
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Tuskegee Airman got a good TV movie many years ago. Solid watch if I recall.

Edit: Nobody better suggest Red Tails, all around terrible movie.
Well then you'd best be more specific, because until your edit I thought you were referencing 'Red Tails' which sucked out loud.

I am unfamiliar with any TV movie.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-15-2024, 12:06 PM   #64
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well then you'd best be more specific, because until your edit I thought you were referencing 'Red Tails' which sucked out loud.

I am unfamiliar with any TV movie.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tuskegee_Airmen

Holy smokes, I forgot how stacked this cast was.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 01:10 PM   #65
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Malcolm-Jamal Warner? There's a name I haven't seen in forever.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:44 PM   #66
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tuskegee_Airmen

Holy smokes, I forgot how stacked this cast was.
Never heard of it. Ah. Because it came out when I was 10.

Old 03-15-2024, 06:53 PM   #67
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Who was the General who liberated the Stalag? I'm guessing Bradley.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:26 PM   #68
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Who was the General who liberated the Stalag? I'm guessing Bradley.
In real life or the show?

I thought he had a gold oak leaf, so a major.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 12:19 AM   #69
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
In real life or the show?

I thought he had a gold oak leaf, so a major.
The guy who rode in on the tank with a star on his helmet. I don't know if he's meant to represent someone in real life but if so I'm curious who it is.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:03 AM   #70
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really liked a lot about the show. Got me hooked from the start being thrown into the exciting and terrifying aerial action. Even in the last episode the scene with Rosie crashing between lines was some super compelling television. Was also interested in the characters and their reactions to the PTSD. Was unsure how the narrative would work with the high casualty rate but thought the focus on someone promoted, someone who kept going, and the POWs was a good approach.

Didn’t stick the landing at all through (no pun intended) especially the last 2 episodes. Too much stuff that was half baked. Worst offence was Rosie being told they are bait for the Luftwaffe and then never getting to see any of that. Then they do the same for D Day hyping it up to give it barely a mention. Also had all these random things thrown in without enough time to improve the narrative like the Tuskegee airmen, Crosby’s girlfriend spying, and the concentration camp visit.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:25 AM   #71
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I really liked a lot about the show. Got me hooked from the start being thrown into the exciting and terrifying aerial action. Even in the last episode the scene with Rosie crashing between lines was some super compelling television. Was also interested in the characters and their reactions to the PTSD. Was unsure how the narrative would work with the high casualty rate but thought the focus on someone promoted, someone who kept going, and the POWs was a good approach.

Didn’t stick the landing at all through (no pun intended) especially the last 2 episodes. Too much stuff that was half baked. Worst offence was Rosie being told they are bait for the Luftwaffe and then never getting to see any of that. Then they do the same for D Day hyping it up to give it barely a mention. Also had all these random things thrown in without enough time to improve the narrative like the Tuskegee airmen, Crosby’s girlfriend spying, and the concentration camp visit.
Agreed. At one point it felt like Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

"If we jam all this stuff in maybe they won't notice?"

Old 03-17-2024, 03:01 AM   #72
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The guy who rode in on the tank with a star on his helmet. I don't know if he's meant to represent someone in real life but if so I'm curious who it is.
Lieutenant-Colonel James W. Lann, the commander of the tank unit that liberated the camp.

https://armyhistory.org/the-14th-arm...f-stalag-viia/
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 07:42 PM   #73
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Lieutenant-Colonel James W. Lann, the commander of the tank unit that liberated the camp.

https://armyhistory.org/the-14th-arm...f-stalag-viia/
Thanks for the link. This is who I'm thinking of:

Quote:
Moments later, a battle-scarred M4 Sherman joined them at the main gate. Still others, carrying infantrymen on their backs, took up positions outside the camp. BG Karlstad called for the German camp commander, Colonel Otto Burger, and received an unconditional surrender of the German garrison and the camp.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:18 PM   #74
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
According to google,

the camp in real life was liberated by the 14th Armored Division, commanded by Major Gen. Albert Cowper Smith.

While he was a One Star (Brigadier General) prior, by the time of liberation, he was a 2-star (Major General).

No one else in the 14th Armored had a star at the time.
Old 03-18-2024, 03:35 PM   #75
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The IMDB credits page listed the character as Lann:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1111702...ttfc_fc_cl_t57

I rewatched the scene and the surrendering German officer addressed him as colonel and his helmet has an oak leaf.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 06:37 PM   #76
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
The IMDB credits page listed the character as Lann:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1111702...ttfc_fc_cl_t57

I rewatched the scene and the surrendering German officer addressed him as colonel and his helmet has an oak leaf.
Yeah you're right. I should've rewatched it before I asked the question.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:41 AM   #77
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It seemed strange that an American fighter would strafe a POW camp guard tower.

Also, that a completely surrounded POW campy would engage in a pitched battle against an armored company.

They obviously wanted that sweet flag hug for 'Merica
Old 03-20-2024, 11:02 PM   #78
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Just finished the last episode, and while I think they had the ingredients for an amazing show they really didn't have the execution, too many plot points thrown in without enough time to properly treat them. Some things should have been cut entirely (Tuskegee), or they should have made this a longer series. I did care more about the central characters in this than I did about any of the ones in The Pacific, but they didn't get enough time to develop or gel. I didn't expect this to be on the same level as Band of Brothers, because that is as close to perfect as a miniseries can get, but I was really hoping that this would have been at least a little closer
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 12:53 AM   #79
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Masters of the Air was quite mediocre.

Band of Brothers explores Easy Company's camaraderie, while The Pacific really delves into the harsh realities of war in the Pacific. In contrast, Masters of the Air doesn't really have a strong theme. I guess the show highlights the tenacity of air force pilots, showcasing their resilience amidst the challenges they faced, but I'm kind of reaching.

As many have said, the show has so much going on. Plus the series struggles with a fragmented narrative, making it challenging to track various characters or really buy-in to their arc.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:54 AM   #80
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Masters of the Air was quite mediocre.

Band of Brothers explores Easy Company's camaraderie, while The Pacific really delves into the harsh realities of war in the Pacific. In contrast, Masters of the Air doesn't really have a strong theme. I guess the show highlights the tenacity of air force pilots, showcasing their resilience amidst the challenges they faced, but I'm kind of reaching.

As many have said, the show has so much going on. Plus the series struggles with a fragmented narrative, making it challenging to track various characters or really buy-in to their arc.
There wasn't enough time in the sky.

I would have liked to see the initial stages of training in the US.

I would not have wanted to be air crew, never knowing when you die and being unable to take actions to reduce your likelihood of dying.

That would pick away at you nonstop, especially the sense survivor guilt. That would be monstrous.

There was no need to include the Black Squadron storyline in the show. The inclusion of that storyline had a big Affirmative Action vibe.

Still Air Force , FTW?

Good chow, showers and booze.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote