Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 05:58 PM   #9041
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Are the same armchair GMs who want to trade all of the good players away the same people with the histrionics in the game threads and PGTs at how the team has played?

There are a lot of really good players on this roster, and finally after 5 years, have an actual coach with proven success.

I look forward to seeing what a coach who is known for getting the most out of people can do here. And actually enjoying the games on the ice

These guys are in their prime and that’s when you see what you can get out of them. Not like the last kick at the can with Iggy when that train had clearly sailed
My decision on Gaudreau has now been categorized as "undecided" now that we have a superb coach.

We're gonna have to see how they do during the playoffs (assuming we make it) to really gauge how well our top players play under Sutter. So, the jury is still out for me. If Johnny doesn't make that much of a difference come playoff time, it would be best to move on from him, especially if the contract demands are out of a certain price range we seek.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:29 PM   #9042
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Sutter is already leaning a ton on Backlund

That speaks volumes about his importance

I think it speaks more to working with what he's got. On a championship team with the right depth a guy with Backlund's skillset is a third liner. I personally feel very strongly about that. Your top two centre's have to be able to create space and score. Backlund does that in spurts but is nowhere near top two line material skillset wise. I guess some will point to points, but to me that's shooting above your weight.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:58 PM   #9043
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will be incredibly shocked if Backlund is left unprotected. I think Darryl is going to make Monahan and Lindholm much more effective 2-way centres - and I mean more effective at both ends, not just on the defensive side of the puck. I don't think this is going to make Backlund expendable in any way. Backlund is smart, fast, and is a strong 200ft player - he is exactly what Sutter covets, and he is going to be a huge part of this teams' success for the duration of his deal I bet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2021, 10:58 PM   #9044
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friedman today mentioned a relatively unheralded Anaheim rw, Troy Terry, as specifically likely on the move today.

Sutter just came from working in Anaheim. Has a history of acquiring somewhat underappreciated players from former organizations and placing them in positions to succeed. Obviously this worked to our benefit before.

Troy Terry is a 23 year old rhs rw. Crash and bang high energy. Had two very impressive college seasons followed by some decent toiling on the lower lines for the ducks...
Old 03-13-2021, 11:13 PM   #9045
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Friedman today mentioned a relatively unheralded Anaheim rw, Troy Terry, as specifically likely on the move today.

Sutter just came from working in Anaheim. Has a history of acquiring somewhat underappreciated players from former organizations and placing them in positions to succeed. Obviously this worked to our benefit before.

Troy Terry is a 23 year old rhs rw. Crash and bang high energy. Had two very impressive college seasons followed by some decent toiling on the lower lines for the ducks...
What do you mean crash and bang? He is a small forward with good vision and puck skills. He is not physical at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2021, 11:16 PM   #9046
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He was talked about very highly as a prospect in many circles, both when he was in college, and then in the AHL. He's just as you describe-very pesky and rambunctious, high energy. Just hasn't quite broken out offensively yet. I like this player, he would be good to have.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:21 PM   #9047
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
What do you mean crash and bang? He is a small forward with good vision and puck skills. He is not physical at all.
He was always looked at as high energy, similar to mangiapane. I remember him playing like this against us. One of those guys you're always going who's that when they are on the ice. Had had a slow season this year but Anaheim is a very bad team. I think it would be a very savvy add
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2021, 11:36 PM   #9048
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
He was always looked at as high energy, similar to mangiapane. I remember him playing like this against us. One of those guys you're always going who's that when they are on the ice. Had had a slow season this year but Anaheim is a very bad team. I think it would be a very savvy add
Sure, just saying he is not crash and bang physical type

But he is skilled and clutch
Old 03-13-2021, 11:40 PM   #9049
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

He has some good tools-like his skating and his shot. I've seen him listed at 6'1", but I can only find him listed at 6'0"180lbs-which isn't exactly "small".
Old 03-14-2021, 12:21 AM   #9050
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is a rebuilding team like Anaheim trading a 23 year old player who supposedly has untapped potential?

Just curious.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2021, 12:50 AM   #9051
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sutter gonna unearth a Kipper calibre equivalent from Anaheim lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2021, 12:52 AM   #9052
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Why is a rebuilding team like Anaheim trading a 23 year old player who supposedly has untapped potential?

Just curious.
I don't think they will, we're just responding to a rumor.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:35 AM   #9053
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I don't think they will, we're just responding to a rumor.
Well the rumor is from Freidman, and he apparently said that Terry is available and "likely" to move.

I was just wondering why is all. Maybe the player wants a change or something...

I'd love it if the Flames nabbed him. Would just add another ripple into the expansion draft for the Flames though.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:24 AM   #9054
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Well the rumor is from Freidman, and he apparently said that Terry is available and "likely" to move.

I was just wondering why is all. Maybe the player wants a change or something...

I'd love it if the Flames nabbed him. Would just add another ripple into the expansion draft for the Flames though.
Hmmm. Not really sure why he’s likely to move. He hasn’t shown any progression this year as far as numbers go, perhaps that’s why. Every time I’ve watched him, I’ve liked him, but I sure don’t get to see him play and practice every day. Can’t have a big cap hit....
Old 03-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #9055
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

college free agency has kicked off

https://twitter.com/user/status/1371130138956546050
Old 03-14-2021, 10:43 AM   #9056
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Who are the other college free agents to watch this year?
Old 03-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #9057
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terry has 2 more years after this one at 1.45M. Kind of an interesting contract.

32gp 4G 13P
47gp 4G 15P, then signed 3x1.45

Mangi:
44gp 8G 13P, signed 1x715k

Mangi is 17 months older
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2021, 11:14 AM   #9058
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Who are the other college free agents to watch this year?
Matt Kiersted, defenseman for from North Dakota
Strauss Mann, goalie for Michigan.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vansmack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #9059
Fischy13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone see the article about Rittich to Washington by the Forth Period I think it was. Not sure why the Flames would do that, unless Sutter rides Marky like he typically does with his goaltenders and they see the cap savings as a way to use on a forward upgrade. Maybe rittich to Washington for a 2nd rounder and that helps pry Rakell from Anaheim? Not sure this is the year to gamble with a lesser backup considering the condensed schedule. Interesting stick handling, might be worth the gamble.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:38 AM   #9060
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ That was from LeBrun and based around if the Flames fell out of the race.

If the Flames do fall out of it I suspect Rittich will be one of the smaller names to go.

Last edited by Toonage; 03-14-2021 at 11:40 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread