Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 01:22 PM   #7841
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
If that trade was talked about, it was likely Columbus that pulled out due to Johnny and Monny's contracts coming due too soon for their taste, and the liklihood of them resigning.

Funny, if that trade had happened, many posters would have hated it then. It would sure look better today.
I agree the length of term likely spooked Columbus but I think if PLD was part of the deal it wouldn’t be hated by most of the fanbase. Downgrading from Gaudreau to Anderson would piss some off but upgrading from Monahan to Dubois would have got a positive reaction.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:26 PM   #7842
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Per eklund...
Value should be as high now as it has been so I say we should just pull the trigger. Johnny has been wonderful, now let's turn him into a flames legend by also acquiring some future assets for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 01:37 PM   #7843
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Value should be as high now as it has been so I say we should just pull the trigger. Johnny has been wonderful, now let's turn him into a flames legend by also acquiring some future assets for him.
Do people really believe a players value is affected by the most recent 20 games or so?
Old 02-26-2021, 01:38 PM   #7844
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
I thought the names around Columbus and the Flames were Anderson, one of their goalies and I think Friedmen mentioned Gavrikov. If I were to bet, it was Monahan going the other way and perhaps others depending on how many pieces were moving either way.

Pinder made this point earlier this week and it is an interesting one, I think. If the Flames were trying to move Monahan this last off season it definitely says something about the player, or maybe management, that they couldn't find a trade partner with a 30 goal in his prime centreman on the table.

Based on what we have seen to date this season, I would say it is more of a Monahan thing than it is a Treliving thing.
Well, there may indeed have been differences in value, and maybe the trade partners were leery of Monahan not re-signing in the near future. Any team wanting Monahan would be an already strong team looking for a solid second line C, IMO. So their offer would mainly be futures. That wouldn’t have worked for Calgary.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:43 PM   #7845
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do people really believe a players value is affected by the most recent 20 games or so?
How do you not see that on every hockey forum? 1000% what have you done for me lately in the mind of many fans
Old 02-26-2021, 01:47 PM   #7846
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, there may indeed have been differences in value, and maybe the trade partners were leery of Monahan not re-signing in the near future. Any team wanting Monahan would be an already strong team looking for a solid second line C, IMO. So their offer would mainly be futures. That wouldn’t have worked for Calgary.
yeah, I agree. In most instances the trade would have been for futures.

it was reported that the Flames and BJ's were in pretty close contact with one another. Based on the trade that was ultimately completed between for Anderson, it seems reasonable that Kekalinen wanted a C coming back. If I were in Trelivings shoes, at that time, I would have wanted more than Anderson alone for Monahan. I think Monahan had more value than Domi. I could be wrong, but I suspect the deal fell apart on who adds what and how much. Did the Flames want a goalie and Anderson for Monahan? We don't know.

On another note Pinder has been on about this for a week or so, but apparently he is saying that a deal around Monahan for Ristolanien was close as well.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:50 PM   #7847
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
For some, Yes. What is the cut off line though? 40 games, 1/2 a season? 1 season? It has to player by player based play, injuries age and history among other information. 80 games ago Gio was a Norris trophy winner, today, he is a number 5, and trending towards a number 6 vs back up to a 1, 2 or a 3. Last season Josh Anderson was a one goal scorer with potential and he looks to have turned it around. James Neal fell right off the cliff while others really out preform their contracts, so hard to tell.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 02-26-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:50 PM   #7848
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yeah, I agree. In most instances the trade would have been for futures.

it was reported that the Flames and BJ's were in pretty close contact with one another. Based on the trade that was ultimately completed between for Anderson, it seems reasonable that Kekalinen wanted a C coming back. If I were in Trelivings shoes, at that time, I would have wanted more than Anderson alone for Monahan. I think Monahan had more value than Domi. I could be wrong, but I suspect the deal fell apart on who adds what and how much. Did the Flames want a goalie and Anderson for Monahan? We don't know.

On another note Pinder has been on about this for a week or so, but apparently he is saying that a deal around Monahan for Ristolanien was close as well.
Wasn’t Brian Burke the one who knocked Ristolanien saying his advance stats were good but he wasn’t a good player? I have no idea if that’s right or wrong, but if that’s the feeling around Flames management at the time, what’s changed, aside from Burke no longer around?
Old 02-26-2021, 01:51 PM   #7849
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Wasn’t Brian Burke the one who knocked Ristolanien saying his advance stats were good but he wasn’t a good player? I have no idea if that’s right or wrong, but if that’s the feeling around Flames management at the time, what’s changed, aside from Burke no longer around?
Burke had mentioned that Chris Snow advised against that acquisition
Old 02-26-2021, 01:51 PM   #7850
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
No.

The Flames looked at Risto, but Chris Snow (I believe it was him) absolutely crushed it by showing just how bad Risto is using advanced stats.

Risto’s advanced stats are trash.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 02:01 PM   #7851
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t even see why the Flames would trade for Risto- he didn’t fill a need, especially if they figured Gio would hang on to his abilities a little more. Where would he slot?

Trading Monahan wouldn’t have done much IMO. Now you’ve finally got the RW to play with Gaudreau and Monahan except you don’t have Monahan. So you slide Lindholm in - fine, though he’s pretty untested at C. And now Tkachuk is back with Backlund and Mangiapane? He plays OK with them but it’s not really a one two punch any more. And then you have have Bennett with Lucic and Dube - your line that’s good in the POs or in a whistle-less game.

Keep in mind too, Anderson needed a contract. He ended up with a pretty hefty one for a guy who’d topped out at 47 points, coming off a big injury, and who is already 26.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #7852
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

It feels like going back ages the one thing all Calgary management and leadership have agreed upon is that you can never have too many defencemen. Ever.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:15 PM   #7853
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Per eklund...
I like this better.

https://www.matchsticksandgasoline.c...north-division
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 02:19 PM   #7854
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you really believe that GMs aren't humans who are affected by recency bias and hockey fans? There are myriad examples of player value fluctuating significantly based on season to season play.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:21 PM   #7855
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Reading this thread makes one wonder. Is there a player that would be worth trading for and then giving a contract to?

Seems like every player that's up to discussion here is either not good enough, injury prone, overpaid or too old.

How do the other teams manage to win games with all these bad players?

You can't wait till a 20 year old star on an ELC is made available for a Sam Bennett. Sometimes you have to take some risk.

Create a list of needs, create a player profile that fits that need and go to work Tre. He talked about getting bigger and harder to play agains and then went out and signed guys like Ryan, Foo and Czarnik. Waste of time.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:56 PM   #7856
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Saw the Kings would move a C for a dynamic LD under 25.

Something around Vilardi for Hanifin?

https://www.tsn.ca/los-angeles-kings...line-1.1599391
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3thirty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 03:02 PM   #7857
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Do you really believe that GMs aren't humans who are affected by recency bias and hockey fans? There are myriad examples of player value fluctuating significantly based on season to season play.
To me, it’s more than just that too. Most (not all) players go through hot and cold periods of both a season and of their career. Sure, you are generally making trades for the long term but it is much more attractive to bring in a player who is “hot” or playing at the top of their game. Especially so, if you are a team who is either in the hunt or near the bottom but looking for a boost for your team or fan base etc.

Especially this year with a short season, it is extremely valuable to bring in a player who is hot. I’m pretty sure a GM would pay a premium for that and less for a player they may want long term and may turn a corner when traded but is currently “cold” to the normalized expectations of what that player might be.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:21 PM   #7858
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thirty View Post
Saw the Kings would move a C for a dynamic LD under 25.

Something around Vilardi for Hanifin?

https://www.tsn.ca/los-angeles-kings...line-1.1599391
I like that idea.

Future oriented is Turcotte going to turn out?
Would you move Valimaki for Turcotte?

Vilardi is 6'2" and put up excellent offensive numbers in juniour.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:46 PM   #7859
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Building around Johnny is a great plan, unless of course you want to win in the playoffs.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:48 PM   #7860
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
Building around Johnny is a great plan, unless of course you want to win in the playoffs.
Like Ovechkin right?
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread