Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2023, 12:01 PM   #2761
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
This is really going to impact the value I get from cycling through aeroplan credit cards. In particular the direct to LAX.
Yeah, same here. I've been a loyal Aeroplan collector and where can we fly now without a stopover? Bleh.
Old 09-02-2023, 01:10 PM   #2762
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
Yeah, same here. I've been a loyal Aeroplan collector and where can we fly now without a stopover? Bleh.
Yeah. If you're considering switching the RBC Westjet card comes with priority security line access at YYC, which (depending on when you fly) can be a nice perk.

Although they've also completely neutered the ability to use the companion vouchers for international flights by adding a bunch of non-fare charges to everything that you still have to pay when you use a companion voucher.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 04:27 PM   #2763
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Air Canada's winter cuts at YYC, discuss.
Disappointing, they wiped out my son’s best option to get back to Europe after Christmas. Now I need to figure out Plan B.

Shows how the regional airline pilot shortage is having ripple effects across their entire network now.

And YYC isn’t the only place being hit hard, some maritime cities are losing a very large percentage of their flights.

It’s just too bad WS isn’t really in a good position to make up the slack for losing Frankfurt.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 04:31 PM   #2764
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

It's so odd reading this thread when my experience is the exact opposite.

WestJet just got my local airport, and most others in Atlantic Canada to go **** ourselves. Meanwhile Air Canada still flies from here, but only a daily flight to Montreal and another to Toronto. Gone are the 4-5 daily flights to Halifax.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 04:55 PM   #2765
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
pre-pandemic i had enough points for 8 business class tickets to europe. now I have enough for 3. That's so terrible, and sours me on the whole aeroplan model.

it happened about 5 years ago with my BA points, had 4 business class tickets to London, and now it's 1, and I can't use them as BA doesn't fly to Calgary, and I can't even use them if I go from Calgary on a partner airline. I end up using them for internal flights in europe.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 09:37 AM   #2766
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
It's so odd reading this thread when my experience is the exact opposite.

WestJet just got my local airport, and most others in Atlantic Canada to go **** ourselves. Meanwhile Air Canada still flies from here, but only a daily flight to Montreal and another to Toronto. Gone are the 4-5 daily flights to Halifax.
I do think completely unserved regional flights may come back once the regional partners are able to hire more pilots.

Westjet/AC are likely to leave the country divided up though, since they'll both make more money by doing so.

Last edited by bizaro86; 09-03-2023 at 09:08 PM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 04:57 AM   #2767
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
I do think completely unserved regional flights may come back once the regional partners are able to hire more pilots.

Westjet/AC are likely to leave the country divided up though, since they'll both make more money by doing so.
I also think part of the problem is the fact there aren't any 40-50 seat aircraft anymore.

Sydney-Halifax used to have 4-5 daily flights. Serviced well by the Dash 8-100s then -300s.

It allowed for people to make the trek to Halifax for appointments and such, if booked far enough in advance you'd save the 8+ hours driving return.

Connections were great at Halifax. You could connect and get to or from at a decent hour.

The 76 seat Q400 is juuuust too big. Pre-COVID (I think my timing might be off) the Halifax runs were dropped to 2-3 times a day.

The amount of seats was about the same but timing for connections was reduced. Which, I believe, reduced demand.

Now you can fly direct to Toronto as you always could. That's a 6:00am departure to YYZ, and the return flight arrives at 1:30am.

Or fly directly to Montreal, flight arrives at 4:00pm and departs at 4:35

During the summer there's a second Toronto flight arrives at 5:10 and departs at 6:00.

Summer isn't as bad, but when that afternoon Toronto flight goes away, connecting at YYZ or YUL means losing sleep.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 07:52 AM   #2768
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Hopefully it’s not entirely permanent. Once they can get their fleet and pilots issues sorted out they will still look for passenger growth and that will likely bring them back into competing in each others territories. Unfortunately this could be a few years off minimum.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 11:21 AM   #2769
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

This article is interesting about YYC and connecting flights for American travellers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ghts-1.6954757
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 12:56 PM   #2770
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
This article is interesting about YYC and connecting flights for American travellers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ghts-1.6954757
Canadian airlines have been chasing American travellers who want to go to Europe for years.

The exchange rate means it’s attractive to Americans.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 07:36 AM   #2771
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Condor airlines is returning to Calgary for summer 2024. Operating twice weekly from May to September.

https://condor-newsroom.condor.com/e...miami-florida/

Last edited by Bigtime; 09-07-2023 at 11:25 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2023, 11:26 AM   #2772
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Condor airlines is returning to Calgary for summer 2024. Operating twice weekly from May to September.

https://condor-newsroom.condor.com/e...miami-florida/
Yeah I'm quoting myself, but it is interesting to note that since AC announced the cutting of their FRA flight we will now have 2 days a week next summer where there are 3 FRA flights.

I remember the years when AC had double daily LHR services. Not sure if we've ever had a 3x day destination overseas.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:32 AM   #2773
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been told that WestJet is changing contracted ground operations providers in the immediate future. ATS is out and a company called Unifi is in. The ATS service was considerably worse than when it was handled by WestJet staff and considering that this is Unifi's first Canadian operation I honestly don't have much hope that things will improve. Unifi may be taking over as early as November but I do wonder how quickly they can source equipment and people but it seems like the plan is to poach significantly from ATS.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 11:37 AM   #2774
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, I'm sure they'll get themselves all sorted out just in time for the brutal winter travel season.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2023, 11:41 AM   #2775
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Yes, hiring the now laid off ATS people because they are experienced will probably be how things go, and then good luck seeing any improvement.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:44 AM   #2776
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is Westjet's Dynalife saga.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2023, 11:57 AM   #2777
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say it's not like they could get much worse, but I don't want to jinx it.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 12:01 PM   #2778
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
I would say it's not like they could get much worse, but I don't want to jinx it.
Westjets goal is probably to save even more money instead of improving service, so I'm guessing it won't be better. It's not like they need to be better because there's competition.
Old 09-07-2023, 12:08 PM   #2779
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

We are flying with WestJet in mid November so I'll get to experience the chaos firsthand. Normally we try to do just carry-on but since this is a family trip it means we will be checking at least one suitcase.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 12:33 PM   #2780
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

You all gotta have the aviation karma, I've never had a lost bag.

Love airplanes harder, and reap the rewards.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc