Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2023, 08:02 PM   #2741
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I won't go carry-on only again until airlines start enforcing their carry-on rules. Unless I'm travelling business class. Did that last summer to Portugal and that was the most stressful part of the trip. Trying to get on before overhead bin space was full, people shoving in line to be first, people getting verbally aggressive with flight attendants because they were not gate checking their precious bag....

Also don't know if I'd trust WestJet on a trip to Europe (or Asia).
I can’t remember the last time I haven’t had space for my carry on.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 09:34 PM   #2742
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I stood in line for customer service for NINE HOURS and got booked on the exact same flight back to Calgary today. Y'all: don't fly United, what a ####ing ####show.
Update: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...310Z/KIAD/CYYC. Cancelled again. Still stuck in DC.

Line I was in last night:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1673941292198363136
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 10:45 PM   #2743
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus. I take back my complaint about waiting for bags.
Old 06-28-2023, 11:19 PM   #2744
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

The vast sea of lost luggage at IAD is impressive. I went down there in the morning after my rebooked flight was also cancelled, on the off-chance I could get my bag back for the three extra days here, and the very sympathetic customer service rep told me they could put in the request to get it but it probably wouldn't be pulled out until Thursday night. I'm scheduled () to leave Friday morning anyway so they're was no point.

https://wjla.com/news/local/airline-...ght-attendants

Last edited by timun; 06-28-2023 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-29-2023, 06:49 AM   #2745
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I won't go carry-on only again until airlines start enforcing their carry-on rules. Unless I'm travelling business class. Did that last summer to Portugal and that was the most stressful part of the trip. Trying to get on before overhead bin space was full, people shoving in line to be first, people getting verbally aggressive with flight attendants because they were not gate checking their precious bag....

Also don't know if I'd trust WestJet on a trip to Europe (or Asia).
Why exactly? Used them on the Paris flights in 2019 and the Tokyo flight just this year, no issues at all.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 07:02 AM   #2746
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Why exactly? Used them on the Paris flights in 2019 and the Tokyo flight just this year, no issues at all.
It just seems like they have fewer options to fix things if something goes wrong. I don't know all the details in both cases, but I have two friends who were supposed to take WestJet to France this year and both had major issues.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 08:05 AM   #2747
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It just seems like they have fewer options to fix things if something goes wrong. I don't know all the details in both cases, but I have two friends who were supposed to take WestJet to France this year and both had major issues.
Definitely a true concern, with them pretty much maxing out the 787 operation this summer if something does snag you could be in trouble. I just really liked using them for the non-stop option out of YYC, versus connecting somewhere like YVR or FRA for example.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2023, 09:57 AM   #2748
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm hijacking this thread, it's now about me being stuck in DC. Once again, for the third day in a row, United's flight to Calgary from Dulles was cancelled. I'm booked on the same flight tomorrow morning; not very confident it won't get cancelled too.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:06 AM   #2749
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's causing all these delays from the east coast? I keep seeing stories about scouts and players driving to Nashville for the draft because their connecting flights were cancelled.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:13 AM   #2750
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
What's causing all these delays from the east coast? I keep seeing stories about scouts and players driving to Nashville for the draft because their connecting flights were cancelled.
A bunch of storms a few days ago seriously messed up the United operations on the eastern seaboard. Domino effect from there.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:18 AM   #2751
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some stormy weather along the coast from DC to Boston on the weekend and intermittently over the last few days, approach radar for the three DC area airports failed on Sunday for a couple hours... United's CEO is blaming FAA ATC in the New York area for causing most of the trouble on Sunday, which had caused a domino effect of problems this week.

Newark is still far and away the most ####ed airport in the world, but Chicago-O'Hare, Houston and Denver are also bad. All big United hubs.

The problem for the Calgary flights out of IAD has been flight crew availability. Flight attendants and pilots are "timing out"—hitting their max working hours—just waiting around for complete crews to fill out planes and go. As flights keep getting cancelled it means flight crews aren't where they're supposed to be either.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:20 AM   #2752
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Super timely tweet in regards to United right now:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1674452606960254978
Old 06-29-2023, 01:45 PM   #2753
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I won't go carry-on only again until airlines start enforcing their carry-on rules. Trying to get on before overhead bin space was full, people shoving in line to be first, people getting verbally aggressive with flight attendants because they were not gate checking their precious bag....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I can’t remember the last time I haven’t had space for my carry on.
Did a quick trip YYC-YVR yesterday. Both directions WestJet was enforcing carry on size (if the bag was grossly and clearly too big). Flights were full both directions so they were offering to gate check bags for anyone for no charge. Heard the same announcement at several of the nearby gates too.

I'm also impressed with how the overhead bins have changed in newer aircraft. Flight out was on a 737-700 with old style bins which were filled to the brim with peoples crap. Flight back was on a Max 8 and those bins ar4e massive, there was room to spare for everything.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 03:18 PM   #2754
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Did a quick trip YYC-YVR yesterday. Both directions WestJet was enforcing carry on size (if the bag was grossly and clearly too big). Flights were full both directions so they were offering to gate check bags for anyone for no charge. Heard the same announcement at several of the nearby gates too.

I'm also impressed with how the overhead bins have changed in newer aircraft. Flight out was on a 737-700 with old style bins which were filled to the brim with peoples crap. Flight back was on a Max 8 and those bins ar4e massive, there was room to spare for everything.
I really liked at John-Wayne this winter, they cut the BS and started telling people they could "gate check" their carry-on at the check-in counter if they wanted to save the $30 and get ride of the bag now.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 04:43 PM   #2755
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

A LOT of the issues of carry-on space being overwhelmed would go away if they would simply do away with the $30-60 nickel-and-diming for checked bags. Raise prices by $30 a ticket if you have to, but I for one would prefer an airline that doesn't nickel-and-dime even if it costs me marginally more!

Last edited by timun; 06-29-2023 at 07:58 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2023, 07:33 AM   #2756
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post

That's great if they are enforcing things finally. It's not even so much the size, as the amount. Every time I fly, I see people putting two or three bags each in the overhead bins, which means there is no room left for the rest of us.

The only time I ever saw carry-ons checked was at an airport in Spain with Iberia Airlines.

I agree that charging for checked bags is a big part of the problem, but I don't know if that would help now that people are used to going carry-on only. I get it. It's handy to have your stuff right there and not have to wait at baggage claim.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 10:00 AM   #2757
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air Canada's winter cuts at YYC, discuss.
Old 08-31-2023, 10:43 AM   #2758
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is discussion of this topic essential?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2023, 10:57 AM   #2759
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Is discussion of this topic essential?
Any topic that involves airplanes is essential to me.
Old 08-31-2023, 11:14 AM   #2760
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is really going to impact the value I get from cycling through aeroplan credit cards. In particular the direct to LAX.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc