Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2022, 01:14 PM   #2501
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
I let my NEXUS lapse because it was absolutely useless at YYC. With no dedicated NEXUS security line, what was the point?
No dedicated line, but you get to jump the line (which can get crazy long)

Sure, it is immensely better in the US but for 10 bucks a year, yes please.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 01:27 PM   #2502
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Ya, that extra hour or more it lets you sleep in, it's great.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:47 PM   #2503
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
YYC ground crews (ATS) might be going on strike. This could be ugly for WestJet and other airlines who contract to ATS. WestJet should have just kept their own crews. That was probably a bad business decision.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...imms-1.6347606
I think it's important to clarify that this is between ATS and the union representing ATS crews, and not between WestJet and ATS.

ATS underbid other handlers by a significant margin to secure the WestJet contract and everyone here knew it was unsustainable. Ultimately, and perhaps unfortunately, this will likely be a good business decision for WestJet if they manage to avoid the strike.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2022, 09:14 PM   #2504
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I told myself I would never fly sunwing again after a bad experience. Yet I booked with them today to save $900 on an all inclusive trip.

How is it possible to save that much?! Their flights aren’t that bad…
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:20 PM   #2505
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I think it's important to clarify that this is between ATS and the union representing ATS crews, and not between WestJet and ATS.

ATS underbid other handlers by a significant margin to secure the WestJet contract and everyone here knew it was unsustainable. Ultimately, and perhaps unfortunately, this will likely be a good business decision for WestJet if they manage to avoid the strike.
I used to favour WestJet because Calgary company and all that.

If I need to check a bag, I'm now AC all the way so I don't risk waiting 2 hours for bags.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:26 PM   #2506
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like the folks at ATS have rejected the final offer and have voted to strike. No strike announced yet but a strike can happen any time now with 72 hours notice.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:22 AM   #2507
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post

If I need to check a bag, I'm now AC all the way so I don't risk waiting 2 hours for bags.
Absolutely this, flew westjet last week, made sure everyone in the party was carry ons only.
Dan02 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2022, 09:30 AM   #2508
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post

I haven’t checked a bag on a trip in about 10 years. I always bring a carry on duffle bag or a backpack for every single trip.

When I met my wife and we started travelling together she said there was no way she could do this, but after trying it once, she never went to back to checking a bag.

1. Never have to risk having your bag lost.
2. Never have to stand at the baggage carousel.
3. Baffled at the thought of needing big ol’ suitcases or multiple suitcases for any trip at all. I just don’t understand it. The overpacking that many people do is insane.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:32 AM   #2509
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I told myself I would never fly sunwing again after a bad experience. Yet I booked with them today to save $900 on an all inclusive trip.

How is it possible to save that much?! Their flights aren’t that bad…
I was looking at all inclusive trips recently. Their pricing was far better than the competition.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:37 AM   #2510
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I haven’t checked a bag on a trip in about 10 years. I always bring a carry on duffle bag or a backpack for every single trip.

When I met my wife and we started travelling together she said there was no way she could do this, but after trying it once, she never went to back to checking a bag.

3. Baffled at the thought of needing big ol’ suitcases or multiple suitcases for any trip at all. I just don’t understand it. The overpacking that many people do is insane.
Golf clubs. Other than that, I agree.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2022, 09:52 AM   #2511
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I definitely agree as well. Traveling with kids is tough though without checking a bag. I've managed to do 3 or 4 day trips with them and not checking a bag but anything longer than that requires a suitcase.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2022, 10:26 AM   #2512
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I definitely agree as well. Traveling with kids is tough though without checking a bag. I've managed to do 3 or 4 day trips with them and not checking a bag but anything longer than that requires a suitcase.
As someone as they are about 6 they can manage their own carry on with assistance and manage their own backpack with stuff to do on the plane/car. So there isn’t a too long of gap to get back to travelling efficiently.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:33 PM   #2513
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
Absolutely this, flew westjet last week, made sure everyone in the party was carry ons only.
I just came back from Anaheim and my WestJet bag was waiting for me by the time I got through customs. We only had 1 checked bag for our party but no complaints!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:13 PM   #2514
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looks like the folks at ATS have rejected the final offer and have voted to strike. No strike announced yet but a strike can happen any time now with 72 hours notice.
Sh*t. I am supposed to fly to Phoenix on Thursday. Hope they don't cancel my flight.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:04 AM   #2515
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Sh*t. I am supposed to fly to Phoenix on Thursday. Hope they don't cancel my flight.
I don't see a press release today but thought I had heard yesterday that there was a tentative settlement pending a final vote. I stand to be corrected however.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2022, 12:37 PM   #2516
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:

I never check bags personally, but little kids throw that right out the window.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:37 PM   #2517
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
I let my NEXUS lapse because it was absolutely useless at YYC. With no dedicated NEXUS security line, what was the point?
Agreed. Nexus is awful. Everyone should get rid of it. No one new should apply.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2022, 07:26 PM   #2518
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What’s the deal with airplane travel after the 28th?

If I fly to the US and I’m vaxxed, do I still need to provide a test on the way there and on the way back?
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:29 PM   #2519
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What’s the deal with airplane travel after the 28th?

If I fly to the US and I’m vaxxed, do I still need to provide a test on the way there and on the way back?
Yes, unless you have a positive PCR test result from 6 months prior to your return flight to Canada and a statement of recovery to use for getting into the US.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2022, 08:59 AM   #2520
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Ok so what’s the deal with security gate A? They used to have 4 or 5 separate security screening line ups with separate metal detectors/luggage X-ray.

Now they’re down to 2 for all general/priority/nexus and 1 dedicated for wheelchairs/strollers. I flew out of YYC the other day and the line up was absolutely massive, went all the way down the hallway and well past the corner store place.

It was a total disaster and I’m guessing a lot of people were late for their flights. Thank god for nexus or there’s no way I’d have gotten thru on time and I was really early for my flight.

I see they’ve gotten rid of all metal detectors and now just use one slow ass body scanner for both lines that handle 100% of the traffic. Then they had the one line for strollers/wheelchairs but it was not used at all for general passengers.

It wasn’t just that the line up was huge, it was that with only two X-rays and one body scanner, the line up moved glacially slow.

And I flew out nowhere near peak time. I can’t imagine what a nightmare it’s be at peak.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 04-03-2022 at 09:05 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc