Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-25-2023, 06:40 PM   #81
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Agreed. I think we have to put a more skilled player on that line rather than watch Looch try to play with pubes, he just isn't a 2nd line player.
come on man... never judge a guy for making a pube gamble. we've all done it.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fatso For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 06:59 PM   #82
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sutters a smart man. Part of his job is being a public figure, and all his public displays are calculated just as anyone would if they were giving a work presentation.

He probably got some grief from someone about his performance in that aspect of his job since there was such a negative blowback.

He's obviously made some adjustments to swing the other way. Arm pump celebrating a mid season columbus win? That is not the Sutter we've been seeing so far this year.

Someone cracked the whip on him about it, even if it was himself.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:22 PM   #83
Groot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
Sutters a smart man. Part of his job is being a public figure, and all his public displays are calculated just as anyone would if they were giving a work presentation.

He probably got some grief from someone about his performance in that aspect of his job since there was such a negative blowback.

He's obviously made some adjustments to swing the other way. Arm pump celebrating a mid season columbus win? That is not the Sutter we've been seeing so far this year.

Or, the people that jumped all over his prior remarks are now doing whatever they can to justify their former position and using whatever nonsense they can to say "see I was right about his prior remarks" even though they were clearly, clearly wrong.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 08:19 PM   #84
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post

I was thinking the same thing, he probably now realizes that he crossed a line. It could have been his wife, or could be some acquaintance around the league asking him the meaning behind what he said. Sometimes these teachable moments have a way of creating change. I am hoping it's the kind of situation that gets the team going on a roll and even opens the door for some of young guys.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:22 PM   #85
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that's a bit of a stretch, even the day before that 'controversial' clip he was speaking very highly of Pelletier.

He's been always great with the media on off days and short with them on game days
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 08:31 PM   #86
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
come on man... never judge a guy for making a pube gamble. we've all done it.

Damn autocorrect.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:33 PM   #87
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
As much as it sucks not having Tanev in the lineup, timing wise with all-star break and who our opponents are before and after, good time for him to get some extended rest. The only playoff teams we play are Seattle and NYR (x2) between now and Feb. 23, with Buffalo as well as the only other team close to a spot.
Does not seem to matter how weak the opponent is these guys find a way to lower themselves and play to the level of there competition.
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:06 PM   #88
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did I mishear? I got the impression from Sutter that he was thankful that it wasn't the shoulder he had major surgery on and he looked fairly confident that he'd be back after the break
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 10:58 PM   #89
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:
Default Flames practice notes: January 25 - No Tanev

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Did I mishear? I got the impression from Sutter that he was thankful that it wasn't the shoulder he had major surgery on and he looked fairly confident that he'd be back after the break
I believe he said “[Tanev] had major shoulder surgery in the offseason…and it [referring to the recent injury] is not that.”

A little bit ambiguous as to whether he’s referring to the severity of the injury, or whether he’s saying it’s not the same shoulder. Either way it seems to be pretty good news.

I feel like a CP sleuth needs to go back to last year and confirm which shoulder it was back then.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 08:37 AM   #90
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
I was thinking the same thing, he probably now realizes that he crossed a line. It could have been his wife, or could be some acquaintance around the league asking him the meaning behind what he said. Sometimes these teachable moments have a way of creating change. I am hoping it's the kind of situation that gets the team going on a roll and even opens the door for some of young guys.
I think Sutter and the entire team were probably thrilled that they finally won an OT game. No reason to read anymore into it than that. The team is probably very aware that losing all these OT games this year has drastically affected their position in the standings.

This rhetoric that he should be coddling Pelletier or pumping his tires for looking good in 6-8 minutes of play is nonsense. It's about the team first and foremost and young pro athletes like Pelletier don't need to be thinking they've accomplished anything before they have, or you can easily end up with another Valimaki.

Also, Sutter in the media is an entirely different person compared to Sutter in the dressing room.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 01-26-2023 at 08:41 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:39 AM   #91
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I think Sutter and the entire team were probably thrilled that they finally won an OT game. No reason to read anymore into it than that. The team is probably very aware that losing all these OT games this year has drastically affected their position in the standings.
The thing that kills me is the loser points argument.

I know I've seen Calgary fans using it against Edmonton when they lose in overtime, so we're not immune but it seems silly to me.

A team with a terrible post 60 minute record is somewhat unlucky not to get roughly 50% of the loser points aren't they? Sort of suggests a team like Calgary should be higher up the standings, not as high as they are because of loser points blah blah

Anyway ... off topic.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 08:42 AM   #92
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

I know I've seen Calgary fans using it against Edmonton when they lose in overtime, so we're not immune but it seems silly to me.

A team with a terrible post 60 minute record is somewhat unlucky not to get roughly 50% of the loser points aren't they? Sort of suggests a team like Calgary should be higher up the standings, not as high as they are because of loser points blah blah

Anyway ... off topic.
Yup - if anything being bad in OT is actually hurting our points, not inflating them.

It's the teams that are killer in OT/SO that are falsely inflated.

Colorado at 9-3 for example.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:46 AM   #93
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Anyway ... off topic.
You can definitely look at it either way with the Flames deserving to be higher up the ladder or lower depending on your perspective. But, yes, I would say that most teams would be unlucky not to be somewhere close to .500 in OT over 82 games.

The Flames are probably due for some balancing out here the rest of the way and part of this is whether or not they have found the right personnel mix for the 3-3 period, and the other part is just dumb luck.

Better yet, if they avoid OT altogether by clamping down these games that have gotten away from them.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:48 AM   #94
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
He's an important player, a lynchpin, a glue guy, but he's nowhere near their best player. I probably don't put him top 5 on this team.
He is the teams best defender, and in a Sutter system that makes him one of the teams best by default since they are in "a defend first and generate chances from that" scheme.

No he doesn't provide offence and if that is criteria for who is "best", then yes he will be far down the line on that list.

But he is certainly among the top 3 for most important guy on the club as you stated.