Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2023, 03:30 PM   #81
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Be a fan of the sport rather than a jersey.
This is a great post. Hockey is a beautiful game. When the Flames suck I tend to watch more highlights from around the league and pay more attention to what other teams are doing.

The caveat about the "kids" answer, is that when they're really young, Flames games actually kept me sane and I would watch every one. You're typically home anyways at that time. But once the activities start, it's so hard to stay on top of it and naturally your level of "caring" will at least fade somewhat.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2023, 04:04 PM   #82
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
This is a great post. Hockey is a beautiful game. When the Flames suck I tend to watch more highlights from around the league and pay more attention to what other teams are doing.

The caveat about the "kids" answer, is that when they're really young, Flames games actually kept me sane and I would watch every one. You're typically home anyways at that time. But once the activities start, it's so hard to stay on top of it and naturally your level of "caring" will at least fade somewhat.
That's how I got over the Blue Jays ineptitude from 1994-2014. I bought a mlb.tv subscription and just diamond surfed and watched the most interesting matchups / close games.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:47 PM   #83
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep expectations low and you should never be disappointed.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:25 PM   #84
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Keep expectations low and you should never be disappointed.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2023, 09:52 PM   #85
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Don't watch Oiler or Canuck games - it helps lower your stress (see the weekly meltdowns in the OOT thread when either team wins)
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2023, 11:09 PM   #86
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have watched maybe 5 full Flames games this season. Like many, this season has just not interested me much and there's no point in forcing it.
This is supposed to be entertainment, so if it's not entertaining you, that's ok.

2 mental shifts have worked well for me to avoid the type of sports resentment the OP is feeling:

1) Scratch your sports itch with sports like golf, boxing, F1... I can watch these as a one off event and not be particularly tied to any individual team or player. I get my 2-3 hour sport fix without the day in day out emotional toll the Flames can be.

2) Only watch sports when you've taken care of yourself first. I will no longer skip the gym to catch a game or skip working on my business or skip quality family time.
I should not be watching rich people do something physically active while I do nothing and get fat drinking beer.
My time should be spent being rich and active, not watching someone half my age do it from my couch.

I'll only fit sports into my day if there's space, I won't plan my day around a game like I used to.
I do find it's easier for me to follow soccer more closely as it's only 1-2 game per week. The NHL schedule is honestly just too much for me at this stage in life.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2023, 05:51 AM   #87
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

"2) Only watch sports when you've taken care of yourself first. I will no longer skip the gym to catch a game or skip working on my business or skip quality family time.
I should not be watching rich people do something physically active while I do nothing and get fat drinking beer.
My time should be spent being rich and active, not watching someone half my age do it from my couch.

I'll only fit sports into my day if there's space, I won't plan my day around a game like I used to."

As my handle points out I assure you I will ski before watching any game of any sport.
GS Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:22 PM   #88
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

For most people, I think the obsession fades over time as you realize how little is truly at stake. With each passing major world event, and each passing personal crisis you realize how stupid it is to become so wrapped up in a silly game, played by people that likely would simply step over you if you were dying right in front of them in the street.

I was once as hardcore as fans come. I've had physical confrontations with unruly or obnoxious Oiler and Canuck fans. I plastered cars with flags and decals. Screamed at my TV like a madman. Scheduled my life and meals around game times. All for what? You think back, cringe and have a little second hand embarrassment.

Now, if a game is on and I'm home, I'll put it on as white noise and keep going about cooking, tidying up, whatever responsible life things are necessary at that time. If they are shooting the lights out... cool, I'll probably sit down and set whatever I was doing aside and get into it. If it's an obvious no show effort, I just turn it off and go about my life. If they aren't going to show up and try, why the hell would I set aside my time and responsibilities in return?

Anyway, that's my take. It naturally fades over time when you come to the realization how utterly meaningless it truly is. You rarely see some guy in his 60's painting his face, redecorating his house in team colors or wasting the day on Capfriendly figuring out trades. Most of them have moved on to casual fandom when they come to that realization. It's actually kinda embarrassing the resources and manpower humanity has invested in games, that have little or no impact on what is truly important to the world.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:46 PM   #89
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
For most people, I think the obsession fades over time as you realize how little is truly at stake. With each passing major world event, and each passing personal crisis you realize how stupid it is to become so wrapped up in a silly game, played by people that likely would simply step over you if you were dying right in front of them in the street.

I was once as hardcore as fans come. I've had physical confrontations with unruly or obnoxious Oiler and Canuck fans. I plastered cars with flags and decals. Screamed at my TV like a madman. Scheduled my life and meals around game times. All for what? You think back, cringe and have a little second hand embarrassment.

Now, if a game is on and I'm home, I'll put it on as white noise and keep going about cooking, tidying up, whatever responsible life things are necessary at that time. If they are shooting the lights out... cool, I'll probably sit down and set whatever I was doing aside and get into it. If it's an obvious no show effort, I just turn it off and go about my life. If they aren't going to show up and try, why the hell would I set aside my time and responsibilities in return?

Anyway, that's my take. It naturally fades over time when you come to the realization how utterly meaningless it truly is. You rarely see some guy in his 60's painting his face, redecorating his house in team colors or wasting the day on Capfriendly figuring out trades. Most of them have moved on to casual fandom when they come to that realization. It's actually kinda embarrassing the resources and manpower humanity has invested in games, that have little or no impact on what is truly important to the world.
I was with you until your very last point, which I find to be quite a cynical and depressing take. I disagree with sports having little to no impact on what's "truly important" in the world. I'm assuming you mean family, relationships, health, wealth. People loving a sport results in being physically active and positive health benefits, gathering together around a shared cause, kids making friends and learning valuable life and leadership skills, confidence building...I mean it's a very long list of how sport can contribute significantly to "what's truly important in the world".

Humans have been playing and watching sports for thousands of years. There's something very human about doing things just for sheer entertainment value and joy, and also watching others who are good at athletics, strategy, and are physical specimens. We're competitive, and sports is a safe and fun outlet to be competitive with each other. It's healthy and productive. Sport isn't something that has just been a recent phenomenon over the past few hundred years since the industrial revolution, since we're bored now or something. We've been doing it since the ancient civilizations. There's nothing wrong or embarrassing with society placing a high value on sports and entertainment.

I'm assuming your (totally valid) response would be "ok, well playing sports is one thing, and watching sports is another". I get that - however to me it's a packaged deal. If someone loves playing hockey and also loves watching the highest level of the sport they love, with friends or family, or it's a way to relax and unwind, and it grows their love of the game they play, how is that not something that's "truly important"? Even if they're the most ardent fan, and they love it, and you judge them for that, if it's bringing them joy then how isn't it important? That's a judgement, and obviously everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I respectfully disagree.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:54 PM   #90
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ultimately, humans are social creatures. We look for community. We're both meaning seekers AND meaning creators. Some people find that in sport, some people find it religion, some people find it politics so on and so on. I think where the valid cynicism comes in the attachment of all of the above with Capitalism. When something is a business, it's not sure it's worth making it our central meaning in life. Wither it be the Flames or a church preaching Prosperity Gospel.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:00 PM   #91
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

13 years and 7890 posts later I can say for sure I care way more about CP than I do about the Calgary Flames.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2023, 06:47 PM   #92
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to let this crap ruin my mood and I'd spend every game just being pissed off if they weren't winning. Not anymore. I had started to PVR games and then go back and watch them if I checked the score and they won, but i don't even do that anymore.

I got tired of being upset while watching, it wasn't enjoyable to me anymore so I quit watching it. Why waste your time on something that you aren't enjoying anymore? The 2018/19 season was the first one where I took a huge step back and I've maybe watched a handful of games since then.

I still come here though, so I'm still up to date on the team for the most part. I come to check after a game and if it's a loss, I move on. I don't even bother going into the PGT thread or any of the bumped threads due to a loss (usually there are a few). If it's a win I usually skim through the PGT because I still enjoy seeing the happiness that comes from a Flames win.

Last season was the most hope I'd had going into the playoffs in a long time because the team was obviously really friggin good. Probably since the 08/09 team. But as always with this franchise, it just wasn't meant to be whether it's their fault or not. Run into a hot goalie most people had never really even heard of before the series, and he legit puts up a historic performance and extends the series waaaaay longer than it should have gone leading to a whole bunch of injuries to our Dmen going into the first BoA in 30 years. I tried to watch that series but after the Flames went up 3-0 in just a few minutes I watched Mcdip#### score after being rolled out there every other shift because they don't actually have a team. Then his next shift our Dman gave him a bump and he collapsed onto the ice like he'd been shot and the refs arm immediately went up. that was it. I walked away and didn't watch another second of that charade. Definitely further cemented my current attitude towards fandom.

Anyways, my GAF meter has dropped way off that's for sure.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:49 PM   #93
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
13 years and 7890 posts later I can say for sure I care way more about CP than I do about the Calgary Flames.
13?

You're a 2007 "joinee" just like me. That's 16 years almost lol

Your statement is very true though. If it wasn't for CP I probably wouldn't hardly follow the team anymore at all.

EDIT: Haha I'm almost to 30,000 posts. Boy have I spent a lot of my time here the last 15+ years.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:21 PM   #94
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pretty simple for me: don't let the game rule you or your emotions. I'm 27 and I can feel my love for the Flames and Sydney FC (soccer) diminishing as the years go on.

I'll always be a fan, but don't think I'll ever get back to my teenage years when a loss would ruin the next few days.
Old 01-21-2023, 01:16 AM   #95
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing is to stop caring about any other team.

I’m an oilers fan (as everyone knows) and I attend like 25 flames games a year and don’t give a #### who wins or loses. Just watch the hockey. I mostly stop posting in the hockey part because I just stopped caring.

While I watch about a third of the oilers games if they are playing poorly I’ll turn it off and go do something else. Life is short. Never plan around sports. The value isn’t there.

I actually enjoy an entertaining flames game in the box more than an average oilers game sometimes.

Maybe just be more of a hockey fan.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 04:22 AM   #96
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
Pretty simple for me: don't let the game rule you or your emotions. I'm 27 and I can feel my love for the Flames and Sydney FC (soccer) diminishing as the years go on.

I'll always be a fan, but don't think I'll ever get back to my teenage years when a loss would ruin the next few days.
For sure, still love and support the team, I can't even imagine what it would feel like if they won a cup. At the end of the day, I'm in my mid 30s and have much more important things to stress about. Going psycho and living/dying with every result like I did as a teen/early 20s has fortunately disappeared. Losing a loved one really makes you realize what's important in life and what isn't, which I guess comes with life situations as you age. Perspective is key.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2023, 04:47 AM   #97
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
For sure, still love and support the team, I can't even imagine what it would feel like if they won a cup. At the end of the day, I'm in my mid 30s and have much more important things to stress about. Going psycho and living/dying with every result like I did as a teen/early 20s has fortunately disappeared. Losing a loved one really makes you realize what's important in life and what isn't, which I guess comes with life situations as you age. Perspective is key.
Yeah, that's very accurate. Work, family, relationships all 'get in the way', as they should really.

Tags
calgary flames , distraction , enjoyment , fan , losing faith