Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will the Flames make the playoffs?
Yes 291 59.75%
No 196 40.25%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2023, 12:06 PM   #21
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's so strange that they are picking up points at a good clip but it doesn't even feel like it

maybe we have become hyper-critical here or set the bar a bit high for a newly formed group who are actually chugging along fairly well since November

I think last season warped our expectations and even then, we're not that far off last season's pace ..
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 12:07 PM   #22
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on where they are today they would not make it, but I think they will start to click in the second half and go into the playoffs on a roll. They might not make the third round but they won't embarrass themselves in the second.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:08 PM   #23
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
It's so strange that they are picking up points at a good clip but it doesn't even feel like it

maybe we have become hyper-critical here or set the bar a bit high for a newly formed group who are actually chugging along fairly well since November

I think last season warped our expectations and we're not that far off last season's pace ..
I think people bought super heavily into the off season hype. Reminds me of when the Sharks acquired Karlsson, all the media said they were contenders and they were average at best.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:09 PM   #24
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I think people bought super heavily into the off season hype. Reminds me of when the Sharks acquired Karlsson, all the media said they were contenders and they were average at best.
They went to the conference final in his first year

(not great since TBF)
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 12:09 PM   #25
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to say no. IMO it's going to be between the Oilers and Flames for the last spot and feel once Kane comes back that may be the tipping point as they can outscore their goaltending and defensive issues better than the Flames. I just don't think the Flames are getting the goaltending they need on a nightly basis. We all knew that there would be a period of time where the new players would take to get acquainted to a new team and style of play, and that goals may be harder to come by compared to last season, but I think few could have predicted that the goaltending would go back to the days of Smith/Rittich bad. A team SV% of .899% simply isn't going to get it done for an offensively challenged team.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:11 PM   #26
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

They need to win six playoff games to be better than last season not eight. Playoffs are a bit of a coin flip, teams are pretty even.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:11 PM   #27
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think last season warped our expectations and we're not that far off last season's pace ..
I think part of it is that OT losses still feel like losses, even if you are getting a point. The other part of it is that very few games have been completely dominant or convincing performances. It feels like just to get a win or OT loss, they team has to squeeze everything they can out. Lack of scoring and giving up leads is a concern.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:12 PM   #28
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I think they miss by a point.
They are going to tie for 8th, but lose out due to ROW.
CalgaryFan1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:13 PM   #29
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
oh god then we will have to hear about that lost point against the Hawks and Blues until the end of time.
Literally 15 years from now, people will still be talking about it on this site.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:13 PM   #30
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgallow View Post
I voted yes, but I'd like to see a poll: "Will the Flames have success in the playoffs"
I'd like to see that poll too, after they (hopefully) make the playoffs though.
CalgaryFan1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:15 PM   #31
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I predict that they’ll miss by a point or two, mostly due to the losing of too many 1 goal games. I just don’t believe they’ll be able to find/stop that extra goal a game. It will be close though.

If they can acquire another top line forward in the next month, I believe they’ll have a better chance and I’d probably flip my vote to “Yes”.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 12:18 PM   #32
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think they’ll make it as one of the two wild card teams. How they fare depends who finishes top 2. If it’s Jets or Dallas we might have a shot at the upset.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:19 PM   #33
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
I think they’ll make it as one of the two wild card teams. How they fare depends who finishes top 2. If it’s Jets or Dallas we might have a shot at the upset.
Who wouldn't the Flames have a shot against?
Old 01-17-2023, 12:23 PM   #34
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Who would the Flames have a shot against?
I just think we match up well against Dallas and the Jets. I’d feel more pessimistic about Vegas or Colorado for example. Just think we’d do better against Jets who we could play grind out hockey against them and Dallas well we played them last year so at least we know them well.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:24 PM   #35
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I think last season warped our expectations and even then, we're not that far off last season's pace ..
This is my feeling too. They might not be flashy getting there and squeeze in to the playoffs, but once they get in they are set up to grind it out. They sure won't be getting roped in to river hockey against the Oilers if we meet them again. Goaltending will be the x-factor again though.
Burning Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:26 PM   #36
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Last weekend was a bit of an anomaly, the Stars are much improved by and large and Oettinger hasn't taken a step back. No thanks to seeing them in the playoffs this year.

Flames match up well with the Jets IMO. Travel is much better too.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:27 PM   #37
sonq
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Since December 3rd the Flames have more points then all those teams. Now they aren't consistent enough to make the playoffs?
As the half-way mark has been crossed, the intensity starts to build. Last night was a very important game for the Flames and they decided to show up only for the 3rd period. If they keep losing because they lack engagement and will, then yeah, I'd say they are not going to make it. Of course I hope they do and I'm not saying they haven't improved, but they really need to find that mojo and bring their A game consistently
Old 01-17-2023, 12:34 PM   #38
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I definitely think Flames will make it. The stats indicate that point wise Flames have been one of the hottest teams in the league the past six or so weeks, and I feel their overall game is rounding out. Markstrom goaltending cost the Flames at least several points earlier on, but he's playing a bit better now that the goaltending is not the reason Flames don't win games.

If Flames can make the PP more productive, then the team should have a strong second half, and likely earn a divisional playoff spot rather than a wild card. That's their main weakness right now since they're not taking advantage of their opportunities enough.

Last edited by Joborule; 01-17-2023 at 12:36 PM.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:41 PM   #39
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted yes, I would guess it won't be decided until last couple of games in the season.

I don't see them getting out of the 1st round, just to inconsistent

They are and have been missing a winger all season....
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:42 PM   #40
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah probably. Then they'll land Vegas in the first round and it'll be a quick out
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote