Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2023, 01:06 PM   #21
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSlap View Post
The fans that can't admit when we have a problem, pissess me off more than the problem. We support mediocrity.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Flames fans also always desperately need a scapegoat. Its basically musical chairs between the coach being terrible and/or the goaltending causing all the teams problems. Very frustrating when it ultimately comes down to 6 players on the ice executing (or not) and this year is no different.

This year the team is definitely a mess, but it hasn't been nearly as bad as it seems. Collectively they are miles ahead of where they were 25 games ago with little reason to think it won't at the very least continue at the current clip, which would probably get them into the playoffs.
Old 01-12-2023, 01:06 PM   #22
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My frustration is that those fans who are overtly negative on a regular basis are proven right more often than not.

Goddam it Flames, stop making life miserable for those of us who are optimists!
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 01:07 PM   #23
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wish ticket prices were lower. I would love to take my family to a Flames game, but it is just too expensive.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 01:09 PM   #24
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
icon54

The frustration doesn't come from just this year it comes from 34 years of incompitance and mediocrity except for one year of the taken away cup run of 04.The 90s were terrible. Starting in 97 to 2003 of missing the playoffs. Other than the 04 run this org has only won 2 playoff rounds in 34 yrs since winning the cup. Let that sink in. That is PATHETIC. We as fans deserve better than that.Get some people in here that know how to build a winner. This is part of the issue. In the 90s ownership did not want to sign players to big deals and now they just spend it like halloween candy. Now ownership will spend to the cap but will not do a full rebuild unless forced and then they want to rush the rebuild.Other than Sutter they did not want to spend the money on exp coaches or gms and that really hurt the product. Remember names like Button and Gilbert.You have to appreciate that ownership will let the gm spend to the cap but what I don't like is their philosophy of just get in and lets see what we can do when we get their. You want a good competitive team each year. Not a team that gets in a loses all the time.

I blame Tre for the situation the team is in. He built this team. He has had 9yrs and has not even come close to doing enough.I also put some blame on ownership because of their philosophy and unwillingness to do a scorched earth mindset and build this team from the ground up and build it properly with a plan and very competent people.This idea of lets just make the playoffs has only worked once in 34 yrs. As a fan it is very frustrating to see this approach taken year after year and not working. This team is not good enough. The media have been telling us and the org but they have done nothing to show us their are good enough. We as fans deserve a lot better than what we have had to watch. They spend the money on ufas lets put that money towards more scouts, better management team and get some success.Also get some new scouts. Tod Button has been their tooo long.
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flaming Horse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 01:09 PM   #25
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just want them to give prospects that are performing at a elite level in the AHL an actual shot with the team.

Phillips, Pelletier, and Zary have all earned a look this year. Wolf too but tougher to find room for a goalie.

Also I just want some actual honestly from the coach and organization. I'm sick of Sutter blaming everything on "young players" when guys like Lewis or Lucic also have a terrible game.

Sutter is a great coach, but he needs to be open to evolving a bit if this organization is going to take a step this year. A 4th line of grinders can work, but it's not a sin to maybe dress something like Pelletier-Ruzicka-Lewis for a game to see if the young guys can provide a spark and some offense.

The whole organization IMO is too afraid of risk when it comes to on-ice decisions. Too safe.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-12-2023 at 01:22 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 01:11 PM   #26
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Play the kids! I'd rather figure out if they suck than just wonder if they would be good or not because they never got a shot.

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 01:16 PM   #27
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
My frustration is that those fans who are overtly negative on a regular basis are proven right more often than not.

Goddam it Flames, stop making life miserable for those of us who are optimists!
I like optimism too. But seeing as this is the venting thread: I just feel as a fan base we have been lulled into this sense that mediocrity is acceptable. “It’s ok Markstrom is doing alright, check out this obscure stat”. “If we just make the playoffs anything can happen!” “We are 9th right now but if A happens and B happens with C then we can easily make top 3 in our terrible division” It’s just endless. We are a suffering fan base. Sometimes the negativity is warranted. We need to hold this team, it’s management and ownership to some level of accountability no?
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:18 PM   #28
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the Flames and Oilers biggest issue is both having their rival team run so pathetically bad for most of the last 20 years is that fans seem to think being better then complete garbage is acceptable

How many times have we all read “would you rather be the Oilers”

Garbage Stadium , Garbage Experience , and a team that is quiet unlikeable/ not exciting

Bad combo for a fan base that is fed up
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:20 PM   #29
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I like optimism too. But seeing as this is the venting thread: I just feel as a fan base we have been lulled into this sense that mediocrity is acceptable. “It’s ok Markstrom is doing alright, check out this obscure stat”. “If we just make the playoffs anything can happen!” “We are 9th right now but if A happens and B happens with C then we can easily make top 3 in our terrible division” It’s just endless. We are a suffering fan base. Sometimes the negativity is warranted. We need to hold this team, it’s management and ownership to some level of accountability no?
I think you missed the gist of what I was saying.

"I want to be optimistic, but the Flames as an organization makes it impossible to do so."

Basically, I'm agreeing, the negativity is very much warranted.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 01:21 PM   #30
sonq
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Flames fans who make mile long posts about them not caring about the team, not supporting them financially, not watching the games, not going to the games, and they appear only when team is losing. I just don't see the point. I have had a year when I didn't watch a single game and didn't follow the team at all because I simply did not care, yet I didn't have the need to declare it to everyone
Old 01-12-2023, 01:23 PM   #31
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Huberdeau is a bum.
That's what they said about Hufnagel.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:24 PM   #32
sonq
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If Phillips and Pelletier were in any other franchise, they wouldn't be in AHL anymore
Old 01-12-2023, 01:25 PM   #33
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I think you missed the gist of what I was saying.

"I want to be optimistic, but the Flames as an organization makes it impossible to do so."

Basically, I'm agreeing, the negativity is very much warranted.
Sorry thank you for clarifying.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:31 PM   #34
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I want a McDavid/Mackinnon/Matthews. we had a bit of that during Iggy's prime but there was only so much he could do from the right wing. the frustration for me is that I don't see one of those on the horizon for us for a long long time. we might end up playing a decade in a new arena before seeing another superstar put on on the flaming C.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 01:34 PM   #35
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am frustrated that the franchise is cursed.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:36 PM   #36
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why can't my team be one of those long term good teams like the Bruins, Caps, Pens, maybe even throw Sharks in there until about 3 years ago.

Instead we a mediocre-to-#### long term.

####ing disappointing.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 01:48 PM   #37
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

The lack of optimism for the future is my biggest vent right now.

As a new dad, I want my son to have a star player to get excited about as he grows up. I also want the hope and optimism that comes with that.
The kind of player that you put on your jersey and pretend you're playing as in street hockey; the player that makes you want to go to games.

I had Fleury and then Iginla, then Gaudreau & Tkachuk to some extent.
He has... Huberdeau??

I would trade being competitive now for a young prospect with superstar potential that's at least an exciting storyline to follow.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 01:49 PM   #38
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you replace Markstrom with a league average goaltender, we would all be happy right now.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 01:50 PM   #39
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

This is actually a good idea ...

Venting thread may prove to be a solid release valve.

Hard to argue with some/most of the posts either. Personally I just don't get all that up or down as a rule. Helps with following this team.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 01:55 PM   #40
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The biggest frustration is we always traded for or signed the wrong players even when it looked good at first
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary flames , frustration , opinions , problems , rant