Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What color jersey should I wear to the Flames playoff games?
Red 409 75.05%
Red 302 55.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 545. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Red is a colour...often misunderstood

With the playoffs coming up, thought it was time to address some of the common misconceptions regarding proper attire at flames games. Lots of new people to the city (and CP), I wouldn't want you to make a fool of yourself.

So your friend calls you up, and has secured 2 tickets to the flames first playoff game, you need to decide what to wear: -- keep this list, of common misconceptions, handy just in case.

*The flames tradition is a 'C' of red, not 'sea' of red. In order to maintain this tradition you must ensure that you wear red to all playoff games.

*Orange is not Red. Sure you don't own anything red, and Orange is "kinda" red, so it must be okay, right? No I'm sorry you are wrong, you should spend $5 on a cheap red t-shirt.

*I have spent over $100 on a flames White road Jersey and since this is "official" flames gear this is better than my crappy red sweater. --This is an area that took many people a while to understand last time, you should not wear a White flames jersey, and especially not a black flames jersey. These items are not red, you will look like a fool. You would be better off wearing a Red Wings Jersey than anything not Red.

*I've got a red shirt that I am wearing, but sometimes it get's cold in my seat, and I have to put on my jacket, surely everyone around me will understand? --Only if your Jacket is red should this be done, if you don't have a red item around you at all times in the seating bowl, please kindly sell your playoff tickets to a member here at CP.

*I think it's stupid to follow everyone else like sheep, and of course I'm way too cool to wear red. How am I supposed to pick up chicks in some dorky red shirt? --No girl will talk to you if you arn't wearing red, you are an obvious try hard "individual", and this is not the time or the place to try and stand out.

Wear RED

Last edited by Ace; 04-06-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

It can be beneficial for a person to something warmer underneath their red item if they get cold easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
Fireball
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I wear my white vintage Flames jersey when they play road games, and plan on wearing my brand new, red t-shirt with Kiprusoff's name and his number 34 printed on it for the home games. I bought it at Wal-Mart for $12.95.

I also make sure to wear my $2.00 Calgary Flames socks, my Calgary Flames boxers, and that I shave before every game. It's an ongoing superstition...
Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
*The flames tradition is a 'C' of red, not 'sea' of red. In order to maintain this tradition you must ensure that you wear red to all playoff games
No. It's the Sea of Red. We don't all get together and form the letter C. We form a Sea and drown the competition.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:04 PM   #5
evan_spence
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I would like to add that, in the event that it absolutely can't be avoided, please choose to wear black instead of white. The white stands out against the greater C of Red, ruining the effect, whereas the black tends to disappear.

That said, wear red.
evan_spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
evan_spence
Farm Team Player

Exp:

And no, it's the C of Red.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:05 PM   #7
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak
No. It's the Sea of Red. We don't all get together and form the letter C. We form a Sea and drown the competition.
Yes I remember the endless debate last time around...However i thought the concensus was 'C' of red due to the "flaming 'C'", obviously in line with the pun sea of red
Old 04-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Wear red. Only red. I think is very intimidating for the opposition, and very inspiring for the Flames.

Don't wear your lucky white jersey. Save it for the road games.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #9
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it's a 'C' of Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #10
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was the Sea of Red in 1986, it was the Sea of Red in 1989. It's the Sea of Red today.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:09 PM   #11
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love it when the odd guy or girl wears something like blue, or black...yet is still cheering for Calgary.

That is inexcusible. Wear red and support our Flames.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:10 PM   #12
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So...if I wear my red Flames T, that is okay? You aren't frowned upon if not in jersey?
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:11 PM   #13
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_sea

The Red Sea (Arabic البحر الأحمر al-Bahr al-Ahmar; Hebrew ים סוף Yam Suf; Tigrigna ቀይሕ ባሕሪ QeyH baHri) is a gulf or basin of the Indian Ocean between Africa and Asia. The connection to the ocean is in the south through the Bab el Mandeb sound and the Gulf of Aden. In the north is the Sinai Peninsula, the Gulf of Aqaba and the Gulf of Suez (leading to the Suez Canal). The sea is roughly 1,200 miles (1,900 km) long and at its widest is over 190 miles (300 km). The sea floor has a maximum depth of 8,200 feet (2,500 m) in the central median trench and an average depth of 1,640 feet (500 m), but it also has extensive shallow shelves, noted for their marine life and corals. The sea has a surface area of roughly 174,000 square miles (450,000 km²). The sea is the habitat of over 1,000 invertebrate species and 200 soft and hard corals. The sea occupies a part of the Great Rift Valley. The Red Sea is the world's most northern tropical sea.

The name of the sea does not indicate the colour of the water. It may signify the seasonal blooms of the red-coloured cyanobacteria Trichodesmium erythraeum near the water surface. Some suggest that it refers to the mineral-rich red mountains nearby which are called "הרי אדום" (harei edom). Edom, meaning "ruddy complexion", is also an alternative Hebrew name for the red-faced biblical character Esau (brother of Jacob), and the nation descended from him, the Edomites, which in turn provides yet another possible origin for Red Sea.
There is also speculation that the name Red Sea came from a mistranslation of what should have been the Reed Sea in the Biblical story of the Exodus. The Sea of Reeds (in Hebrew Yâm-Sûph) is often mistranslated as the "Red Sea".

One hypothesis is the name comes from the Himarites, a local group whose own name means "red." Another theory favored by some modern scholars is the name "red" is referring to the direction "south," the same way the Black Sea's name may refer to "north." The basis of this theory is that some Asiatic languages used color words to refer to points on the compass.

Last edited by troutman; 03-06-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:12 PM   #14
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak
It was the Sea of Red in 1986, it was the Sea of Red in 1989. It's the Sea of Red today.
I smell a poll....

What is the playoff tradition called when all flames fans wear Red to home playoff games?

A)'C' of Red - A neat pun, playing on the flaming 'C'
B)'sea' of Red - We're like a big saddle shaped body of water (except red).
Old 04-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #15
evan_spence
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I know I always thought of it as a C of Red in 1986 and 1989.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #16
Hesla Junior
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Nah you do not need a Jersey, just your attire must be red.
Hesla Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #17
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd
So...if I wear my red Flames T, that is okay? You aren't frowned upon if not in jersey?
This is the point! You don't have to spend a bunch of dough to join the 'C' of Red, Buy a plain red t-shirt.

Want something a little more flames related, buy a $12 shirt from Wal-Mart with a flames logo on it.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #18
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:
Ace,

Is it okay to wear a red flames cap? If so, is it okay to wear my black horsehead jersey with this red flames cap?
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:20 PM   #19
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf
Ace,

Is it okay to wear a red flames cap? If so, is it okay to wear my black horsehead jersey with this red flames cap?
Why Calf, glad you asked it's good to clear these things up ahead of time. Your RED cap is a great addition, however you should not wear your BLACK flames jersey. This is not RED, and from a distance you will not look RED.

Hang that Black Jersey on a wall...it's being retired.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:20 PM   #20
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Maybe calgarypuck should take up a collection, buy a truckload of cheap red t-shirts, and hand them out to fans at the Dome that have not figured it out yet.