Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #1021
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, this thread is still going!

Has anyone changed their opinion?
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #1022
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

One of the last Occupy camp sites in Canada in Nanaimo is gone

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Occ...875/story.html

Quote:
He said the city, as the last local government in B.C. to take the matter to court, had demonstrated a measured approach but that there had been an increase in crime at the site, protesters were causing trouble for local businesses and the public was being prevented from being able to enjoy Diana Krall Plaza because of the protesters' presence.
"There is a small group of people . . . who have taken over public space that the public has a right to use," DeSouza said, referring to protesters as the "less than 1%."

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #1023
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Wow, this thread is still going!

Has anyone changed their opinion?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not reason themselves into. The people in support of 'Occupy' did not reason themselves into that position.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #1024
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Seriously?

I support the 'Occupy' protests and wonder what took so long for people to stand up and ask why the wealth is concentrated in the hands of so very few. And to look at the impact that has on our democracy.

-=-=-=-=-=-

I agree that blocking the ports without the support of the unions is terribly short-sighted. As Bill Maher stated, one big difference between the occupiers and the hippies is that the hard-hats (blue collar workers) were very much against the hippies. But now, many of the hard-hats support the goals of the occupiers. Turning the blue collar workers against you loses you an ally.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #1025
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not reason themselves into. The people in support of 'Occupy' did not reason themselves into that position.
Please. Don't be ridiculous.

The occupy movement and the reactions to it form a very interesting and complex social and political phenomenon. Whether or not someone is for or against it on this forum is just about the least interesting part of it that I can imagine.

The fact that you claim this is a simple "for or against" is a pretty big implication that you haven't seriously thought about it at all.

The fact that your idea of contributing is the statement "everybody who doesn't think like me is kind of stupid" implies that you are a person who doesn't even care about reasonable argumentation, which to start with would require respecting other peoples opinions.

Last edited by Itse; 12-12-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #1026
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Keep in mind that most of us are looking through the lens of the embarrassing group in Calgary. I have little doubt that there are legitimate protesters protesting legitimate causes elsewhere.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #1027
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Keep in mind that most of us are looking through the lens of the embarrassing group in Calgary. I have little doubt that there are legitimate protesters protesting legitimate causes elsewhere.
Not really, it appears to be the same complaints all over, bunch of unfocused idiots who are increasingly attracting a junkie criminal element.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #1028
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Not really, it appears to be the same complaints all over, bunch of unfocused idiots who are increasingly attracting a junkie criminal element.
The original idea got lost when more people got involved.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change , getoffmylawn , protest , rednecks