Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #21
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Haha, too funny. I will have to satisfy myself with the fact that you don't give two craps about the matter and are not that educated on the finer points of it. No worries, not everyone cares and I totally respect that. Plenty of people are happy with the status quo and not rocking the boat.
Yeah I'm totally uneducated on US financial regulation, what with being employed in financial regulation and all
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #22
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Yeah I'm totally uneducated on US financial regulation, what with being employed in financial regulation and all
Did I say you were? I was referring to the #occupy movement
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #23
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Non-violent and passive civil disobedience is effective.
I agree with that, I just don't think this protest is delivering any sort of message. I've read a number of stories on it and the message always boils down to the same points we've heard over and over again. There are some legitimate points in there, and some ridiculous ones, but nothing is moving forward through this protest. It's wheel spinning. No issues are being brought to the forefront, no hard questions are being asked, it's ineffective and comes off as a bunch of whining. Add in the fact that the only people being put out are those that are actually trying to go to their jobs and live their lives and I don't have a lot of positive thoughts on the whole idea.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #24
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Did I say you were? I was referring to the #occupy movement
So what are the finer points? Play model UN for long enough and eventually the world will change?
Old 09-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #25
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Radiohead to Play Wall Street Protests Today

Band will perform at Occupy Wall Street in NYC

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/4...rotests-today/

Update: Radiohead Not Performing Occupy Wall Street

As confirmed by band representative

Last edited by troutman; 09-30-2011 at 11:41 AM.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #26
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
So sad to see all this apathy.
Some of it definitely is apathy for sure, but like I said in my case it's more of a case of not understanding what it is these people want to accomplish mostly because they don't have a clear concise message.

And I guess, it's not entirely all their fault, I mean it's a lot easier to protest a war and get troops out ala Vietnam than fix the wealth gap and corruption in a social and political system. But still I think they should have had more of an idea of what they wanted to accomplish or how when they started this. Even their slogan 'What's our demand?' sounds ridiculous. It can either be taken as sounding clueless, or immature. The whole thing just isn't being done very well.

I heard about this when it started and was quite excited about it, but after finding out more about it, I found it hard to care about.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #27
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Some of it definitely is apathy for sure, but like I said in my case it's more of a case of not understanding what it is these people want to accomplish mostly because they don't have a clear concise message.

And I guess, it's not entirely all their fault, I mean it's a lot easier to protest a war and get troops out ala Vietnam than fix the wealth gap and corruption in a social and political system. But still I think they should have had more of an idea of what they wanted to accomplish or how when they started this. Even their slogan 'What's our demand?' sounds ridiculous. It can either be taken as sounding clueless, or immature. The whole thing just isn't being done very well.

I heard about this when it started and was quite excited about it, but after finding out more about it, I found it hard to care about.
In general, no laws were broken because the regulatory environment had been lessened or hadn't existed in the arena in which dangerous leverage was created . . . . . hence no one going to jail.

The Canadian banking system emerged from the 2000's as a global star, not because our bankers were smarter than the others but because our politicians had confined them to a regulatory straight jacket that kept them from following the global herd. In actual fact, our clever Canadian bankers spent a lot of the 2000's protesting this government imposed straightjacket even though our system allows them a semi-monopoly as compensation.

We have seen these leverage bombs taking us down before. Usually they arise out of non-regulated environments, where smart guys figure out there are no rules and dive in, followed by everyone else until the grand explosion. In this case, the world of derivatives and packaged mortgages.

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again . . . . some way, some how. There's always someone looking for an angle.

So . . . . . I'm kind of wondering why these people are protesting on Wall St. when the animals working there were only doing what came instinctively and was essentially allowed by rules.

Instead, they should be protesting outside of Congress and the White House or state legislatures because, ultimately, those are the places that open or close the gates.

This was about the cage, not the lions in the cage.

Cowperson
Old 09-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #28
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

^^^ You are right of course, I guess Wall St. just makes a better target symbolically for those who don't fully understand the problem. Either way, the message is the same, I imagine the politicians know that if there is change to be made they need to lead the charge with regulations.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:52 PM   #29
Crazy Bacon Legs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I really don't understand this.

Based on the poster in the OP, this group's one demand is that they want a ballerina to dance on a bull? Can we just arrange that so everyone can get along again?
Old 10-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #30
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Today we were out at our Parliment in Iceland protesting the inaction of the government, 5000 people showed up out of a tiny nation of only 300,000. This is a regular occurrence these last 3 years and this is why I'm upset that the protests in the US are so small and ineffective. I mean apathy isn't even the right word, its like people feel defeated and unable to make any serious change to their own plight.

http://visir.is/section/MEDIA99&file...7-EDC0CE7600F0
Old 10-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #31
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

You can see the politicians, the bishop of Iceland, Prime minster and co being pelted with eggs in this video.

http://visir.is/section/MEDIA99&file...9-7BBE01B4FD87
Old 10-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #32
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

About 50 seconds in - people drinking champagne as protesters walk by.

We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #33
CrusaderPi
Redundant Minister of Redundancy
Self-Banned

Exp:

Good. The bishop of Iceland has been on my list for years.
CrusaderPi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CrusaderPi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #34
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at the NYSE for a part of a day last week and I think Wall Street has to start taking these groups seriously. The numbers of protesters was huge but all the Wall Street guys I met with are shrugging them off as amateurs. Look at what happened with Alberta when they shrugged off protests on the oil sands. The protesters are winning the PR battle because of that.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #35
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think some bankers from Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan should be in jail, as well as some people from the ratings agencies.....

The people who are irritated with the disruptive nature of this peaceful protest are the same ones who would be huffing and puffing if there was vandalism and rioting...you just can't win with some folks.

Michael Moore is there. He is spreading the idea of ending capitalism. What a dumb, fat hypocrite who just doesn't get it.
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #36
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Article on National Post says that these protests are coming to Canada, and specifically Calgary. It says that in Vancouver the plan is to occupy the art gallery for an indefinite period, but I didn't notice a location for Calgary.

I'll surely get flamed for this, but might I suggest the Drop-In Center?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/10...gary-montreal/

Last edited by Slava; 10-02-2011 at 09:09 PM. Reason: added link...
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #37
LGA
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Article on National Post says that these protests are coming to Canada, and specifically Calgary. It says that in Vancouver the plan is to occupy the art gallery for an indefinite period, but I didn't notice a location for Calgary.

Let's hope they decide to come in December.
LGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #38
Thrillingbroom
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

From their Facebook group it looks like they want to protest in front of Banker's Hall or Olympic Plaza. Don't know what they would be protesting in Canada, the strong financial regulations?
Thrillingbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #39
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGA View Post
Let's hope they decide to come in December.
I thought of that after as well...suddenly a wetter, colder winter has an upside!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #40
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
About 50 seconds in - people drinking champagne as protesters walk by.

Look at these rich trouser stains. "Hey were stealing from them! right on lets drink to that!"
Canuck-Hater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change , getoffmylawn , protest , rednecks