Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2023, 07:59 AM   #381
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post

That's not even the line he says. It's, "So, you're telling me there's a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 08:14 AM   #382
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wait a minute waaaiiiit a minute.

This team is on a 94 point pace, is playing at a near .600 win percentage. And that's with at times spotty goaltending, and inconsistant play.

And we're talking about sewering for draft picks?

Sometimes I think people have more of a hardon for drafts and trades then actual ice hockey.

to me the answer is nope. Unless a team announces that they're going to crater for the next big thing and reduces their ticket prices for the next 5 years to AHL level. Because if they're going to put a substandard product on the ice for draft picks, charging full price is a rip off of the fans.

There should be no diving, this is why the NHL needs a relegation system so teams like Ottawa or Arizona, or Edmonton who have dove for draft picks (and you can't tell me that the Oilers didn't intentionally grind for crybaby) should be relegated to the AHL.

I believe that there is an obligation for an NHL team to try and put a winning team on the ice every year. Tickets are too expensive for playing games.

I also think that to make things more exciting, for the bottom 5 teams there should be a skull and cross bones ball at the draft, when it comes up the team that gets that ball has to give up their best player who goes back into the draft no matter his age, and the team receives the worst contract from the top NHL team. Also that winning or losing team has to automatically extend their GM's contract by 5 years.

See what I did there?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:10 AM   #383
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Can this dumb thread please die, the Flames are 24 points up on last place
No doubt. Tanking for Bedard was really off the menu as soon as the Tkachuk trade went down the way it did.

Also can we not have thought up a better title for this thread?

"Play not so hard - for Bedard"
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 11:12 AM   #384
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to admit I envy the team that's going to get the 1st overall pick. He's going to be a good one.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:22 AM   #385
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I have to admit I envy the team that's going to get the 1st overall pick. He's going to be a good one.
...and the tanking competition is fierce. 4 teams in the conference (5 total) below .400. Look at the disaster of a season that Vancouver is having, and they are 6th last.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:43 AM   #386
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
You could trade Weegar for a haul tomorrow - he’s been excellent and he’s signed to a reasonable number.

Lindholm would return a king’s ransom if you moved him.

Huberdeau is here to stay, and honestly, we shouldn’t forget that. He could’ve waited to sign an extension, but he committed the rest of his career to this city and this team. I don’t care if he has an underwhelming season - two homegrown stars told Tre he couldn’t pay them enough to play here. Huberdeau, on the other hand, committed the next nine years of his life to this city on the strength of a dinner date.

He deserves our patience, and I‘m confident he’ll reward us for it. Get him a young, speedy winger to open up the seams instead of Milan “Barry Sanders” Lucic and watch what happens.
Good post. you've touched here on the points I've been wanting to make to all the doom and gloomers that think the Flames are simply #####ed for 9 years

I think huberdeau gets back to his "norm" for a few seasons if the Flames get the right complementary piece. and it should be very easy to find a better fit than lucic there

And there are a few players that would command a haul if we were inclined, including lindholm, hanifin and weegar

If the Flames needed to retool again or stock up on futures at the end of the Sutter window, they could. Also the caps going up.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 01-26-2023 at 11:46 AM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:41 PM   #387
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Wait a minute waaaiiiit a minute.

This team is on a 94 point pace, is playing at a near .600 win percentage. And that's with at times spotty goaltending, and inconsistant play.

And we're talking about sewering for draft picks?

Sometimes I think people have more of a hardon for drafts and trades then actual ice hockey.

to me the answer is nope. Unless a team announces that they're going to crater for the next big thing and reduces their ticket prices for the next 5 years to AHL level. Because if they're going to put a substandard product on the ice for draft picks, charging full price is a rip off of the fans.

There should be no diving, this is why the NHL needs a relegation system so teams like Ottawa or Arizona, or Edmonton who have dove for draft picks (and you can't tell me that the Oilers didn't intentionally grind for crybaby) should be relegated to the AHL.

I believe that there is an obligation for an NHL team to try and put a winning team on the ice every year. Tickets are too expensive for playing games.

I also think that to make things more exciting, for the bottom 5 teams there should be a skull and cross bones ball at the draft, when it comes up the team that gets that ball has to give up their best player who goes back into the draft no matter his age, and the team receives the worst contract from the top NHL team. Also that winning or losing team has to automatically extend their GM's contract by 5 years.

See what I did there?
perpetual average hockey is far from interesting.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BoLevi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 09:31 PM   #388
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know I knocked the last bump but.. is this still an option?
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 11:16 PM   #389
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I know I knocked the last bump but.. is this still an option?

They flames could lose out and not even be close to last.

This is not an option.

Thread needs to die.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 11:10 AM   #390
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do major re-tools ever work? A lot of people criticize full tear downs and rebuilds as unpredictable, but I can't think of many examples of successful franchises that didn't have to tear it down and rebuild to eventually find success. Trading old cores for new cores is so rare, that the sample size is probably too small I guess, but it certainly didn't seem to work here.

I think in a few years, many people are going to look back at the 2022 off-season and wonder what the heck the Flames were thinking. Fans would have understood given the situation. An opportunity to rebuild, starting with the Bedard draft, was presented on a golden platter, and we said; "No thank you. Something something, Buffalo Sabres, something something Edmonton Oilers".
Old 01-27-2023, 11:29 AM   #391
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point, Flames would have to set some sort of historical losing record the rest of the way to end in the bottom 5 to have a realistic chance at Bedard.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 04:59 PM   #392
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Do major re-tools ever work? A lot of people criticize full tear downs and rebuilds as unpredictable, but I can't think of many examples of successful franchises that didn't have to tear it down and rebuild to eventually find success. Trading old cores for new cores is so rare, that the sample size is probably too small I guess, but it certainly didn't seem to work here.

I think in a few years, many people are going to look back at the 2022 off-season and wonder what the heck the Flames were thinking. Fans would have understood given the situation. An opportunity to rebuild, starting with the Bedard draft, was presented on a golden platter, and we said; "No thank you. Something something, Buffalo Sabres, something something Edmonton Oilers".
Here's the other thing.

A full tear down and rebuild is fun.

Buncha young players fighting for spots, high draft picks, hope for the future, etc.

Watching a sorry and tired bunch of over priced veterans chase 8th is not fun.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 08:23 PM   #393
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

I think an example of a retool that looks successful is Dallas
They’ve transitioned the core from Neal/Seguin to Robertson/Heiskenen etc without bottoming out much. They’ve drafted once in the top 10 (3) and that’s it
Takes elite drafting
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:09 PM   #394
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
No doubt. Tanking for Bedard was really off the menu as soon as the Tkachuk trade went down the way it did.

Also can we not have thought up a better title for this thread?

"Play not so hard - for Bedard"
We Stand On Guard for Bedard.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 10:58 PM   #395
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Anyone see the Hitmen game tonight against the Pats?

A wild scene.

Bedard put in as much effort on the defensive side of the puck that will fit in perfectly with the teams tanking for him
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 11:01 PM   #396
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

A wild scene.

Bedard put in as much effort on the defensive side of the puck that will fit in perfectly with the teams tanking for him
Another McAvi catastrophe?
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:05 PM   #397
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

A wild scene.

He’s definitely a 1 way player but a damn good 1 way player
Old 02-01-2023, 11:07 PM   #398
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was at the game admittedly i watch zero junior but it was odd. Obviously this kids going to rack up points. But he floats around. Hes center yet always last F back and hanging high for the break out. He doesnt change lines with his line mates, kinda seems like he just comes and goes off the ice as he wants.

Seems like might be a huge transition into the NHL if hes coming in with zero accountability and zero effort on D..... But McDavid gets away with it so maybe im out too lunch here.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2023, 11:14 PM   #399
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
Another McAvi catastrophe?

Well, he did play the first 4 minutes and last 30 seconds of OT haha
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:15 PM   #400
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Was at the game admittedly i watch zero junior but it was odd. Obviously this kids going to rack up points. But he floats around. Hes center yet always last F back and hanging high for the break out. He doesnt change lines with his line mates, kinda seems like he just comes and goes off the ice as he wants.

Seems like might be a huge transition into the NHL if hes coming in with zero accountability and zero effort on D..... But McDavid gets away with it so maybe im out too lunch here.
I'm sure the WHL has passed along their mandate. Ain't no way 17,000 people are showing up to watch him back check. Highlight reel only.