Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2023, 07:27 PM   #61
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

2023 top prospects game at 8 pm on TSN 3/4. Pre game show starts in 5 mins.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:38 PM   #62
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I'm still hot for Nate Danielsen if we're picking mid round.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...nate-danielson
I love this kid. He already plays a pro style- very complete player, with size and mobility.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 08:28 AM   #63
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I love this kid. He already plays a pro style- very complete player, with size and mobility.
Reminds me of Ryan Getzlaf!
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 10:56 AM   #64
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I'm still hot for Nate Danielsen if we're picking mid round.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...nate-danielson
Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
I am not sure how qualified their writer is the make this statement:

Quote:
The Brandon Wheat Kings captain is on pace to hit 90 points as a sophomore, so we know the offense is there. His biggest strength from a technical standpoint is how he reads pressure and he’s no slouch as a backchecker, either. He’s not aggressive enough for my liking and I feel like he falls apart in physical matchups but he’s got enough raw talent that should translate well to the pro game.
Of course, by the time you are picking 20th, there are going to be some warts and things players need to work on.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 02-26-2023 at 01:19 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:04 AM   #65
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I am not sure how qualified there writer is the make this statement:

Of course, by the time you are picking 20th, there are going to be some warts and things players need to work on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfCsoncrhAw

Here's a shift by shift from this season if you're interested. I disagree with that writer, but to each their own. He could use his weight more, but I think that comes with learning. He just put on like 40 lbs over the last two years. He makes a hit on his second shift and tries to take the puck up the middle through 3 guys... I wouldn't say he's collapsing during physicality.

Edit: Check out around 21:30. Uses speed and size to deke first defender, then muscles past the second on a power move, makes a crazy backhand topshelf shot at the end.

Last edited by Monahammer; 01-26-2023 at 11:13 AM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:02 PM   #66
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always like when there are players you want to draft just based on their name. I just noticed there is a defenseman projected to go in the 2nd or 3rd round named Matthew Mania. A lot of meme potential there.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:04 PM   #67
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I always like when there are players you want to draft just based on their name. I just noticed there is a defenseman projected to go in the 2nd or 3rd round named Matthew Mania. A lot of meme potential there.
I like Carson Rehkopf. His name translates to deer head in German lol.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 01:25 PM   #68
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone know why Calum Ritchie is falling? IMO he had a really tantalizing profile last year. He’s still attractive. Good size, RHS center, hands and some grit.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:47 PM   #69
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Ritchie's production is not particularly encouraging for a guy in this draft year. I think teams are starting to get wise to these guys who have NHL size but don't have the same star probability as their counterparts. You can get size in pretty much any round.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 02:06 PM   #70
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Lidstrom View Post
Anyone know why Calum Ritchie is falling? IMO he had a really tantalizing profile last year. He’s still attractive. Good size, RHS center, hands and some grit.
I can't say I have first hand knowledge, but from what I read, he isn't an exciting pick, but a "safe" pick. Not a super high ceiling, but enough tools to probably make the show in some way.

I don't like it when people say "safe" pick though. Reminds me too much of Greg Nemisz who was labelled that way. Gotta shoot for the stars in the 1st round IMO.

This is why guys like Honzek, Cristall, and Dragicevic stand out to me. Super high ceilings with some things they need to overcome, but potential payoff is huge.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:23 PM   #71
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO you should for the stars in all rounds
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:59 PM   #72
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Ritchie's production is not particularly encouraging for a guy in this draft year. I think teams are starting to get wise to these guys who have NHL size but don't have the same star probability as their counterparts. You can get size in pretty much any round.
I have to respectfully disagree with you to a point. Yes, if size is the only asset a player has, then they will fall in the draft- but as I’ve said before, size will always be an “asset” as long as the sport remains full contact, especially in the playoffs.

Look at the 2021 draft for example. Most of the “risers” were players with size (other than Coronato and Rosen) and most of the “fallers” were the smaller guys. Eklund was pegged to be top-4, but went 7th. Lysell fell to 21. Stankoven, Chibrikov, Tuomala, Zellweger, Behrens, and Pastujov all fell out of the first round. McTavish was taken 3rd (most had him around 10), Tyler Boucher was 10th, Cole Sillinger was 12, Othmann went 16th. Most of the first round was players 6 feet or taller, and as a guy who watches the Draft closely, I can say this happens every year- and if you look back at all the player profiles I wrote that year, I predicted as much.

If Calum Ritchie was a small player, would he be predicted to go in the first? If you had a team where all your forwards were 5’10”, would that team go far in the playoffs? The answer to both questions is no. If you go back to last year’s Draft, if Matt Savoie was 6 feet tall, he would have gone top-3, instead of 9th.

Last edited by Sandman; 01-26-2023 at 06:38 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 08:25 PM   #73
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Right, I totally get what you're saying. But if Ritchie, with his current production, were 5'10", he might not be projected to go in the Top 90.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 08:28 PM   #74
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with you to a point. Yes, if size is the only asset a player has, then they will fall in the draft- but as I’ve said before, size will always be an “asset” as long as the sport remains full contact, especially in the playoffs.

Look at the 2021 draft for example. Most of the “risers” were players with size (other than Coronato and Rosen) and most of the “fallers” were the smaller guys. Eklund was pegged to be top-4, but went 7th. Lysell fell to 21. Stankoven, Chibrikov, Tuomala, Zellweger, Behrens, and Pastujov all fell out of the first round. McTavish was taken 3rd (most had him around 10), Tyler Boucher was 10th, Cole Sillinger was 12, Othmann went 16th. Most of the first round was players 6 feet or taller, and as a guy who watches the Draft closely, I can say this happens every year- and if you look back at all the player profiles I wrote that year, I predicted as much.

If Calum Ritchie was a small player, would he be predicted to go in the first? If you had a team where all your forwards were 5’10”, would that team go far in the playoffs? The answer to both questions is no. If you go back to last year’s Draft, if Matt Savoie was 6 feet tall, he would have gone top-3, instead of 9th.
Tyler Boucher, the ultimate reach based on size. Upside potential of that guy is Chris Dingman.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:04 PM   #75
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Tyler Boucher, the ultimate reach based on size. Upside potential of that guy is Chris Dingman.
I think he will be an effective third-liner at the very least, with the chance of being a second liner. He will still make an impact with his speed and physicality.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:23 PM   #76
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's more NHL teams should be getting wise to it.

Outside if Mactavish (who was top 5 in most mocks I saw and 4th on Bob Mckenzie's list), I'd take Stankoven, Zellweger, and Pastujov over either of Boucher or Othmann.

I dont think Sillinger was a riser either as be was right in that 10-12 spot all year.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:19 PM   #77
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was largely a consensus-top-8 for that draft, and McTavish was just outside of it, largely due to perceived skating issues. Good on MacKenzie for getting it right.

Size is still listed as an “asset” on these players, and lack of size will always be on the list of detriments.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:00 AM   #78
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

size is nice to have, but I'm always wary of players where its listed as one of their main pros. Give me a small player with upside over those players any time of the day ... I shudder when I think back to when this organisation blew 2nd and 3rd round picks on players like Hunter Smith and Keegan Kanzig just because they were big.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:13 AM   #79
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think with size, you have to be weary of the same thing you do with over aged players that put up big numbers in junior. Being just a little more physically mature can give them a huge advantage in that age group.

Sometimes the opposite happens though. I remember watching Chara and Byfuglien in junior, two guys who went in later rounds, and they were so much bigger and stronger than the competition, they almost seemed disengaged at times. Almost like they didn't know what to do with themselves as they were like men playing with boys. Once they got to the pros, they were able to unleash.

I guess this is where scouts have to do their homework and look for subtle indications that the player has another level to reach in an environment that can challenge them more.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:58 PM   #80
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I think with size, you have to be weary of the same thing you do with over aged players that put up big numbers in junior. Being just a little more physically mature can give them a huge advantage in that age group.

Sometimes the opposite happens though. I remember watching Chara and Byfuglien in junior, two guys who went in later rounds, and they were so much bigger and stronger than the competition, they almost seemed disengaged at times. Almost like they didn't know what to do with themselves as they were like men playing with boys. Once they got to the pros, they were able to unleash.

I guess this is where scouts have to do their homework and look for subtle indications that the player has another level to reach in an environment that can challenge them more.
I recall similar musings about Getzlaf in his draft year: The disengaged part. He had good production and pro level tools in his shot and passing. The intensity and physical play probably blossomed being in the same dressing room as Neidermayer, selanne and pronger. If only we drafted him over phaneuf. We probably have a cup with iggy here. Sigh

Regarding Ritchie he had a lot of skill and promise last year. Perhaps his issue is the team talent around him. The team is bottom 5 in the ohl. He only has one other player doing anything offensively. Ritchie is just above a ppg.

He has good size and had a good scouting report last year. I think he’s just struggling being on a bad team. Maybe a trade would do him some good. He may be a guy that we could target later in the first round or maybe early second round. I think he still goes late teens. Size and right handed shot are premiums at the Center spot.

All in all I don’t think he’s just using his size and strength to beat smaller players. I think he is just on an island with his one other player on a bottom feeding team. There may be something there.

Tags
2023 nhl draft , nhl draft , nhl entry draft