Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the James Neal signing?
Love It 411 46.55%
Love the add, worried about the term 328 37.15%
Neutral 30 3.40%
Wait and see 71 8.04%
Hate it 43 4.87%
Voters: 883. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #1121
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane -3
Ryan -3
Valimaki -3
Czarnik -5

Neal -9
OUCH
Old 12-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #1122
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wish we would of given him like 7.5m x 2 or something like that

I wonder if Pitt would consider Neal for Rust. He's struggled mightily like Neal has this year, but I like his game a lot and I think he would fit in nicely with the flames.

Here is my Armchair GM:

Neal for Rust

Bennett, Jankowski, 1st, Prospect for O'Reilly, Maroon

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-O'Reilly-Rust
Mangiapane-Backlund-Frolik
Maroon-Ryan-Hathaway
x Czarnik

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Andersson
x Stone, Prout

Rittich
Smith

Last edited by Phagoof; 12-13-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #1123
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phagoof View Post
I wish we would of given him like 7.5m x 2 or something like that

I wonder if Pitt would consider Neal for Rust. He's struggled mightily like Neal has this year, but I like his game a lot and I think he would fit in nicely with the flames.

Here is my Armchair GM:

Neal for Rust

Bennett, Jankowski, 1st, Prospect for O'Reilly, Maroon

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-O'Reilly-Rust
Mangiapane-Backlund-Frolik
Maroon-Ryan-Hathaway
x Czarnik

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Andersson
x Stone, Prout

Rittich
Smith
There's just something inside that doesn't want the Flames to let Bennett go.

He's younger than Mangiapane for frigg sakes.

I just see a complete player, with highend untapped potential, that needs more confidence and time to work on a few things.

I don't think we should trade him anytime soon.

The big 4, Backlund, Bennett and Dube are the organizational forwards I want around the most for years to come.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #1124
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Over the course of 1 equivalent period last night, Rust scored as many goals as Neal has in 32 games. I just can’t see Pitt making that deal.
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #1125
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Trade him to Vegas for a 7th while he's still move able.

It just isn't working, he's too slow for this team. He played almost 19min tonight and was atrocious. 31 Games is a good sample size. He's had 1 legit goal.

I said it before and I'll say it again, would rather have Brouwer on the 4th line.
Brouwer would probably be ok with Peters as the coach.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:35 PM   #1126
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Clearly something is off, you don’t just forget how to hockey. If the current trend continues he’s a compliance buyout when those get out of jail free cards get distributed with the next lockout. Sure would be nice if he’d look like an NHL calibre player out there most nights though.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #1127
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can see the frustration now. He had a run with some good games where he was getting chances but was snake bitten.

Last two games, he's not getting chances and he doesn't even seem engaged. He's never been a guy who competes hard for the puck or back checks hard, and he compensates with skilled shooting but if you aren't scoring, you better be busting your ass for pucks and he's not doing that.

He's going to have to up his "give a damn" meter soon or he might start hearing the boo birds himself.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #1128
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
You can see the frustration now. He had a run with some good games where he was getting chances but was snake bitten.

Last two games, he's not getting chances and he doesn't even seem engaged. He's never been a guy who competes hard for the puck or back checks hard, and he compensates with skilled shooting but if you aren't scoring, you better be busting your ass for pucks and he's not doing that.

He's going to have to up his "give a damn" meter soon or he might start hearing the boo birds himself.
It’s hard to boo Neal. He is not very visible out there.

What he needs to be concerned about is Peters giving him a press box view of the game.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #1129
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I defended this guy every day since the season began saying he'd put it together eventually. Well it's almost Christmas and he still hasn't.

Not saying he won't, but it's definitely put up or shut up time
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #1130
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Clearly something is off, you don’t just forget how to hockey. If the current trend continues he’s a compliance buyout when those get out of jail free cards get distributed with the next lockout. Sure would be nice if he’d look like an NHL calibre player out there most nights though.
Yeah I'm still thinking along these lines.

Good players don't just forget how to play. There's gotta be something behind all this, nagging injury or something.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #1131
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Yeah I'm still thinking along these lines.

Good players don't just forget how to play. There's gotta be something behind all this, nagging injury or something.
If he did indeed run out of his regular sticks permanently, as was previously mentioned, then it could be a mental adjustment matter. He is getting looks, some good ones too. They are just not going in.

Original Post
Quote:
Neal's shot looks like crap for a sniper, so I did a little digging. I read somewhere that his "normal" stick was discontinued (Easton Mako) and he couldn't get it anymore, but I can't find the article. Supposedly, he recently ran out of the stockpile of his stick or something, so he's trying to find a replacement. Keep in mind, this is kinda huge when you realize that hockey players are apparently creatures of habit and are perhaps a little superstitious about their equipment sometimes to the point of ensuring that their hockey sticks are taped in a very specific manner.

Which Sticks are Scoring in the NHL? | The Hockey Gear Blog
Per this, Neal was using an Easton Mako once upon a time. I think it coincides with PSG going bankrupt ?(original owner of Easton and Bauer)

James Neal
Per this, he has switched to a Bauer Supreme 2S Pro

This, and I believe Neal is the type to start slow and get stronger as the season is longer... might be why I think he isn't looking great.
Player's Tribune: James Neal
Quote:
Honestly, the feel of my stick is everything. I get a little bit OCD about my sticks before the game. It has to be just the way I want it or I won’t feel comfortable on the ice. The second I pick up a stick from the rack and I put it down, I can tell if it’s right or not. The feel of the flex is the most important thing. Also, the curve of the blade and the way that it’s taped. Everything matters. When I tape my stick, I use thick white tape and I wrap it from heel to toe. I leave a little bit of the toe untaped, because that’s where I usually release my shot from.

It’s not just the feel of it, it’s the visual, too.

Visual points are very important to a shooter. Typically, you’re looking down at your stick when you shoot the puck. The way the puck sits on your blade and how it looks to you is a very big thing, as strange as that may sound. That’s why guys are very particular about using white or black tape. If I had to play with black tape on my blade, I’d freak out. It’s kind of like what would happen if you came into the office and they switched your computer keyboard for another one. You’d just be uncomfortable, you know? You wouldn’t have any flow.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #1132
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't really wade into this thread so apologies if this has been suggested many times over. Neal should play Ryan's spot on PP2. He needs to be on that flank so he can hook around at the top of the circle and rip his wrister. That's his bread and butter.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #1133
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think the Flames play too fast for James Neal. He can't keep up
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:07 PM   #1134
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
This. The Flames are an odd man rush transition team, by the time he get's in the other zone, the team already had the scoring chance.
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #1135
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I don't really wade into this thread so apologies if this has been suggested many times over. Neal should play Ryan's spot on PP2. He needs to be on that flank so he can hook around at the top of the circle and rip his wrister. That's his bread and butter.
I love much about Peters but Ryan on the PP is a mystery.

If nobody else can win draws, ok, but guys can. Frankly even if you lose a draw the other team dumps it and you recover the puck within 15 seconds.

So if you weigh the extra 5 percent of draws Ryan may win, offset by his dearth of offense, there is no reasonable justification for having him on the PP
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #1136
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

James Neal will never score another goal.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:03 PM   #1137
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
Quote:
This. The Flames are an odd man rush transition team, by the time he get's in the other zone, the team already had the scoring chance.
And Pens and Vegas aren't fast paced teams themselves?

It's not like James Neal hasn't been getting chances. The issue is he hasn't been converting on them.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:11 PM   #1138
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love to sit Neal out a game or two right now, but unfortunately the next man up is Lomberg.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:49 AM   #1139
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Lomberg will be in tomorrow. Best of both worlds!
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #1140
Underdog
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'd like to see them try Neal on the wing with Lindholm at Centre. Gives him that elite playmaker and Elias can still play D to make up for Neal's lack of it. Sure we'd be breaking up the top line, but we need to get him going one way or the other since he's here to stay. This would have the added benefit of moving Backlund down to a true shut-down 3rd line role.