Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #1421
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ort-goes-viral
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #1422
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If anyone is having problems with battery life, I found that the postcast app background usage is huge for some reason, eating 40+% of my battery life for no apparent reason. Couldn't even go a full day on a charge.

I had automatic downloads all disabled so it's not from downloading things.

Anyway turned off the background activity and now it seems to be back to normal. I never changed any settings when upgrading, so maybe some kind of bug in the postcast app.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:08 AM   #1423
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Having a strange isssue with hotspot. My kids 5s's are able to connect to the hotspot (shows 1 connection in blue up top) but my kids are unable to use any data. We have reset all the connections and phones and nothing works. Any ideas?

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #1424
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Having a strange isssue with hotspot. My kids 5s's are able to connect to the hotspot (shows 1 connection in blue up top) but my kids are unable to use any data. We have reset all the connections and phones and nothing works. Any ideas?

Do other devices work properly with the hotspot? Is it only the iPhones?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #1425
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Rename the SSID and reset the passcode?

Yes, also check other devices like a Windows laptop. You may have cellular data turned off for hotspot, or your provider may have restricted your data. Some TOS have conditions for not tethering.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #1426
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else think AirDrop is hit and miss? Every time I'm out with friends and we want to share pics, it never works (yes we have all enabled it)
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:35 PM   #1427
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Having a strange issue with hotspot. My kids 5s's are able to connect to the hotspot (shows 1 connection in blue up top) but my kids are unable to use any data. We have reset all the connections and phones and nothing works. Any ideas?
Just an update this.

I was able to get it working. It took a 3rd "reset network settings" and that seemed to work. The issue was effecting my wifes and my 6s (providing the hotspot). It was working and then stopped so strange.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #1428
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else finding iOS 10 a bad OS? The new lockscreen notifications are a counter intuitive clustermuck, and the new control centre not having ANY customization makes it more work to change a song than just opening the app. They dedicate 70% of the main control centre screen for night mode, air drop, and Airplay MIRRORING (then hide the airplay people actually use on the second screen). I'm actually further convincing myself of how bad the design is by typing this out. It's just awful.

They also still can't decide on a font size for signal strength... Annoys me to no end. Most unpolished OS I've ever seen Apple release. And considering iOS 7, that's saying something.

Last edited by HotHotHeat; 10-07-2016 at 07:46 AM.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2016, 09:25 AM   #1429
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I feel you're overreacting.
<sent with lasers>
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2016, 12:15 AM   #1430
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So two of my wall chargers have over heated and stopped charging in the last two days while my iPhone was being charged.

Anyone know why they suddenly started over heating? The cords are fine, it's the actual wall chargers that stopped working. I am using Apple cords and the Apple wall chargers as well, not aftermarket ones
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:34 AM   #1431
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
So two of my wall chargers have over heated and stopped charging in the last two days while my iPhone was being charged.

Anyone know why they suddenly started over heating? The cords are fine, it's the actual wall chargers that stopped working. I am using Apple cords and the Apple wall chargers as well, not aftermarket ones
using the same outlet?
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:38 AM   #1432
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
using the same outlet?
Yes. I was thinking it could be the outlet but I was also using one at the hospital a few days ago and it was only plugged in for an hour and it got extremely hot.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:42 PM   #1433
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So other than Apple's refurbished site, anyone have a recommendation/experience for where to go for refurbs? I'm looking for a 13inch Macbook Air.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:03 PM   #1434
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny I just bought silentsims bang and olufsen h6 headphones, that has a proprietary apple volume control on the cord (am android). Great headphones and were sold and promoted in apple stores for $400. But guess what, you can get their wireless ones now for $500 ha, which you would be forced into doing.

Some guys in the audio forums are plugging in more money into their iPhones than the phone itself is worth. I'm sure they're about to go wireless...

Dumbest part is these H6 headphones are premiere bang and olufsen quality, but supplied with an apple quality cable, defeating the whole purpose of the cans. I shall be buying a new cable! (The Mic on the cable still works for Android.. kinda handy but absolutely criminal overall)

Last edited by calumniate; 10-11-2016 at 11:11 PM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:09 AM   #1435
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We are an android family, but our youngest just bought herself an iPhone, so I'm hoping someone on here can help us out.

Our kids are both on a no-data, unlimited texting plan. On Android, we use an app called Redbird that allows us to text our oldest daughter's phone a special code, and her phone (without her having to do anything) texts back a google maps link of her location.

I've been trying to find something similar that works on iPhone, but haven't been successful. The apps I've found either allows someone to text their location to others easily, or requires the person to click a link or do so some other action in response to a text message requesting their location.

So in brief, I need an app that will:
-use SMS only for communication
-return gps coordinates
-require no interaction on the user's part.

Does such a thing exist?
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #1436
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
So other than Apple's refurbished site, anyone have a recommendation/experience for where to go for refurbs? I'm looking for a 13inch Macbook Air.
Have you tried WestWorld? Although it was a few years back and a different model than you're looking for, one of my coworkers raved about a refurb he picked up.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 08:25 AM   #1437
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
We are an android family, but our youngest just bought herself an iPhone, so I'm hoping someone on here can help us out.

Our kids are both on a no-data, unlimited texting plan. On Android, we use an app called Redbird that allows us to text our oldest daughter's phone a special code, and her phone (without her having to do anything) texts back a google maps link of her location.

I've been trying to find something similar that works on iPhone, but haven't been successful. The apps I've found either allows someone to text their location to others easily, or requires the person to click a link or do so some other action in response to a text message requesting their location.

-return gps coordinates

Does such a thing exist?

You might be able to configure Glympse to send coordinates back via SMS. There are apps for both android and iOS.

I am not sure if you can set up an auto-reply to SMS on an iPhone. I thought you could.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #1438
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post

-return gps coordinates

Does such a thing exist?
Well it's not exactly what you are looking for but could you just use find my iPhone? You wouldn't have to text her, just load it up on the app.

Edit: looks like it would have to be connected to wifi for it to work.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 10-13-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #1439
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
You might be able to configure Glympse to send coordinates back via SMS. There are apps for both android and iOS.

I am not sure if you can set up an auto-reply to SMS on an iPhone. I thought you could.
Thanks for the pointer, but even though Glympse can use sms/email to send a glympse, the actual reporting of location uses data. Also, requesting a glympse requires the user to accept the request.

You may be right - if iPhone doesn't support automatic responses to texts, then I may be out of luck.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #1440
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you can, on Glympse set it up so that the "Glympse" session between people is permanent. It's a roundabout way of doing it, but I had something like that with my wife before we both got iPhones.

I looked at the auto reply, but it doesn't seem to include special messages kind of a "I am driving, blah blah blah" response.

I would keep search in the App Store. I would expect that somebody else with app programmming abilities has done something already.