Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default US phone plan

Going to the States for 8 days later this summer. I'm debating whether to get a US sim card for those few days. Anybody know the best route about this and where to get one?

I have an unlocked phone so I don't think there is any issues with compatibility.
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.roammobility.com/ looks pretty damn good to me.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ we used roam for a 10 day Florida trip.

Overall pretty good. It got a bit screwy when one plan ended and another began, but that may have been me not paying enough attention.

It uses t-mobile and sometimes the reception was spotty. I bought the SIM cards at pipestone travel and they had a list of places in the us that they know it does not work at all, so maybe be careful of that.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
Going to the States for 8 days later this summer. I'm debating whether to get a US sim card for those few days. Anybody know the best route about this and where to get one?

I have an unlocked phone so I don't think there is any issues with compatibility.
I have a T-Mobile number for trips to the states on this plan.

Unlimited talk & text, and 200MB/day of 4G data for $3/day. You are automatically billed the $3 each day that you use any of the services. Pop the sim out of put it in airplane mode when you're done and you aren't billed anything until you use it again.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Mick - where did you that plan, did you just go to a T-Mobile store and get a sim?
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Weirdness
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Mick - where did you that plan, did you just go to a T-Mobile store and get a sim?
Yep, that's all you need to do.

However, when I used this last year at PAX, it did not cover calling or texting to Canada. It wasn't much of a problem since my friends all got US SIMs for the trip, and we primarily used it to stay in contact. Still something to consider though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weirdness For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was about to post a similar thread, instead going to piggyback on this one.

I need a US provider that will support a Galaxy S3 (i747 - rogers/at & t), and iPhone 4s for a trip I am making.

NM, it appears that both the suggestions listed in this should. Unless there is some difference with a Bell iPhone that would make it not work.

Last edited by Rathji; 04-28-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Yup. Took about 20 minutes.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Mick- how do you pay for the plan? Do you have to buy refill cards, or do they bill your credit card? If it's the refill cards, how long does the balance last before it expires?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got back from California and you just go into any TMobile store. For us, I found the closest store between the airport and my hotel, and printed 2 sets of those directions to take on the plane with me.

It takes $10 activation (for the Sim card essentially), plus $2 per day for 2Gb Data and Unlimited text/talk.

They will only put money on in $10 increments though, so when I wanted 13 days, they had to put $30 on it, putting the total charge at $40 + tax. Be warned, any items like long distance or texts to Canadian numbers come out of your balance, so your phone will run out of funds before the end of your trip if you are not careful. It seems pretty easy to add money once it runs out (or is close) as it gives you a warning with a reminder of how to pay.

One thing to note, even once working, traveling between different areas might require you to reboot your phone or register it to 'new' Tmobile network in the area for it to actually get service. My wife had no such issue with her iPhone, but I had to several times with my Galaxy S3, going from LA to San Diego to San Francisco to Anahiem.

Last edited by Rathji; 06-02-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think you can do either cards or just credit card, and while it is awkward to do it with a Canadian cc it can be done (over the phone).

The expiry time for funds depends on how much you put on....for $100 you get a year.

I just put a hundred at a time, set a reminder for a year from then and add some by then to retain any unused funds.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post: