Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2018, 11:49 PM   #1
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Where to Eat in Lethbridge

I’m taking my oldest for University check-in on Sunday and want to leave him with a good meal, where should we go? We have younger age children so it can’t be an overage place.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:06 AM   #2
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I lived in Lethbridge for a few years. There is really nothing good there. I suggest maybe trapping a ground squirrel and cooking it up.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:48 AM   #3
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I lived in Lethbridge for a few years. There is really nothing good there. I suggest maybe trapping a ground squirrel and cooking it up.
Wow thanks. I guess we’ll get a Big-Mac. Your so helpful.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:51 AM   #4
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
Sorry, I really can't remember anywhere good other than fast food. Keep in mind, I was a student there at the time.

I loved going to university there though.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:53 AM   #5
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lethbridge is very generic, and has most of the Canadian staples (Boston Pizza, The Keg, etc). I've listed a few of my more frequented local choices.

Two Guys Pizza is quite good. Lots of different varieties, including The Banh Mi (Vietnamese Sub) pizza, which is tasty. I swear I'm not obsessed with Vietnamese food, but one of my favourite places was Thuan Hoa on Mayor Magrath Dr. S. Do not confuse it with The Saigonese, a few doors down.

Makisu is an all-you-can-eat Sushi place, which is of reasonable quality. I think Lighthouse is supposed to be the best quality sushi place, but I'm more of a quantity over quality kind of guy when it comes to variety and rolls. There are a few other Japanese restaurants around town.

There were, at least when I left, several Indian restaurants around town including Taj and The Mango Tree. Nothing spectacular, but completely acceptable if you are not a connoisseur of Indian cuisine.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:34 AM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Is the Sven Ericksson's still open there? Basically it was a fancy looking dining room attached to a KFC kitchen, it was so cheese, but our family used to go there all the time because my Grandma loved the place and I think she was crushing on the head waiter who had worked there for 60 years.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
He's partly truthful. It's simply not a great city when it comes to fine dining as it's largely a retirement city and old people don't like to spend $$$ on dining. The last decent place I ate at there was the Mango Tree which is pretty solid Indian cuisine. As mentioned Two Guys & a Pizza Place is also pretty good.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:34 AM   #8
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Firestone Grill is a great place...Luigis is a decent steakhouse.

Legends is also pretty good from what i remember.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was told by colleagues that Plum is the place to go in Lethbridge for farm fresh, finer style dining in Lethbridge. I wasn't able to go the last time I was there however, so I can't verify.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:23 AM   #10
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Is the Sven Ericksson's still open there? Basically it was a fancy looking dining room attached to a KFC kitchen, it was so cheese, but our family used to go there all the time because my Grandma loved the place and I think she was crushing on the head waiter who had worked there for 60 years.
No. It closed quite a few years ago. The last true Fine Dining restaurant in Lethbridge.

It wasn't attached to KFC physically. Sven Erickson was a business partner with Col. Sanders though. Sven's daughter and son-in-law took over the business. Due to the connection with Col. Sanders they had exclusive rights to KFC in Lethbridge, and they didn't have to follow all the rules of the corporation. That ended sometime in the early 2000s. Sven's grandsons now run the KFCs in Lethbridge. They closed the restaurant around 2005 and the Keg is now in it's place. They kept the basement and ran their catering business for another 3 to 5 years, but are now strictly KFC. They sold the catering to Country Kitchen Catering. So Keg is upstairs and banquet catering can still be done downstairs. Timelines aren't 100% accurate, I'm just going off my aging memory.

I worked at KFC in the mid 90s and am now related through marriage. My wife also worked at KFC and when we started dating it was weird to go to family functions but have your bosses there.

KFC on 3rd Ave had a bakery attached to it, and the bakery did all the baking for Sven Erickson's and their KFC restaurants. They had quite the assortment of baked goods sold at KFCs in Lethbridge and Taber, and you wouldn't see those at any other KFC. I don't remember which came first, but the restaurant closed and their deal with KFC changed and they no longer needed the bakery for the restaurant. The KFCs were all renovated. They closed one KFC, changed another to a KFC/Taco Bell, and now a new KFC has opened up in the mall but they don't own that one.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
No. It closed quite a few years ago. The last true Fine Dining restaurant in Lethbridge.

It wasn't attached to KFC physically. Sven Erickson was a business partner with Col. Sanders though. Sven's daughter and son-in-law took over the business. Due to the connection with Col. Sanders they had exclusive rights to KFC in Lethbridge, and they didn't have to follow all the rules of the corporation. That ended sometime in the early 2000s. Sven's grandsons now run the KFCs in Lethbridge. They closed the restaurant around 2005 and the Keg is now in it's place. They kept the basement and ran their catering business for another 3 to 5 years, but are now strictly KFC. They sold the catering to Country Kitchen Catering. So Keg is upstairs and banquet catering can still be done downstairs. Timelines aren't 100% accurate, I'm just going off my aging memory.

I worked at KFC in the mid 90s and am now related through marriage. My wife also worked at KFC and when we started dating it was weird to go to family functions but have your bosses there.

KFC on 3rd Ave had a bakery attached to it, and the bakery did all the baking for Sven Erickson's and their KFC restaurants. They had quite the assortment of baked goods sold at KFCs in Lethbridge and Taber, and you wouldn't see those at any other KFC. I don't remember which came first, but the restaurant closed and their deal with KFC changed and they no longer needed the bakery for the restaurant. The KFCs were all renovated. They closed one KFC, changed another to a KFC/Taco Bell, and now a new KFC has opened up in the mall but they don't own that one.
Wait....so you're related to the Colonel?

You're like....fried bird Royalty!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 11:33 AM   #12
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As everyone has said, it's not the best for options, but Firestone, Plum and Two Guys are all great. There is a new restaurant in the water tower called the Watertower Grill however I haven't had a chance to go there yet, but it's owned by the Vintage Group from Calgary, so you should have an idea with them what you are getting in to. Also a new place in the renovated Sandman downtown called the Italian Table which is fresh and large portions. Lighthouse is the best quality sushi that you will get here, while I'd take Fusion over Makisu for all you can eat. I'm really enjoying MAMA LA for Vietnamese lately but that's probably because it's so close to my house.

However Lethbridge is very much a chain restaurant city, so you always have those stand-byes.
brocoli is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 11:35 AM   #13
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post

Taber and Lethbridge had the best KFC anywhere in the 80's and 90's
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dentoman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #14
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ate at The Indian Kitchen last week. It was pretty good. I don't know how it compares to other Indian Cuisine restaurants, but I certainly enjoyed it.

I've heard good things about Plum but I haven't been there myself.

I also 2nd the recommendation for Firestone.

Legends is good pub food but no minors allowed.

2 Guys & a Pizza place has one many awards in Las Vegas for their Pizza. I haven't tried it in years though, but they had a kiosk in the old Lethbridge Center mall and their pizza was very tasty!

I also enjoy Streatside Eatery, which is downtown.

Luigi's has two locations, and I'm not sure if they are related to each other anymore or not. I've only been to the southside location and I enjoy the food there too.

Whitbies Fish and Chips on the Westside has great Fish & Chips.

There is options. We also have your chain restaurants like Moxie's, BP's, Keg, etc.

A new restaurant opened up in the Water Tower. I haven't heard how it is yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #15
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Wait....so you're related to the Colonel?

You're like....fried bird Royalty!
No, not the Colonel. I'm related through marriage to the family who owns all but one KFC in Lethbridge.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:46 AM   #16
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Looks good?

http://mochacabana.ca/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #17
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Mocha is good too. Great people who own it and always quality.
brocoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #18
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Yes. I forgot about them, they're pretty good too. Nice atmosphere. Ask for a table in the courtyard/patio/out back (whatever they call it).
Old 08-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #19
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
Taber and Lethbridge had the best KFC anywhere in the 80's and 90's
I would have to say that honour should go to Blairmore Alberta where KFC's gravy was invented by the branch's owner Kay Kerr.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #20
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Firestone all day, would be one of the better calgary restaurants if here
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote