White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:13 AM   #122
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Wasnt aware they had a gigabit plan
Dual wan with Shaw will pull big numbers with a system that allows load balancing. I can’t actually download something at that speed. I max out at about 700. But I can pull down two files at 700ish each versus 350 each
Old 04-04-2020, 08:39 PM   #123
showtime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was thinking of doing a MoCA set up in my place but confused at how exactly it works. I'm with Shaw, is it as simple as getting one adapter and plugging from coaxial to adapter into the modem? Then at other point coax to the adapter to in my case velop? Just trying to figure out the best way to get internet all over the house and maintaining speed!

The CP brain trust seems to be better at this stuff than I.
showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:47 PM   #124
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime View Post
I was thinking of doing a MoCA set up in my place but confused at how exactly it works. I'm with Shaw, is it as simple as getting one adapter and plugging from coaxial to adapter into the modem? Then at other point coax to the adapter to in my case velop? Just trying to figure out the best way to get internet all over the house and maintaining speed!

It's probably not the best idea to have a MoCA adapter in front of your modem. But I'm not an expert.

Are you simply trying to move where your modem is in your home? If so, I'd recommend put your modem where it is, then the MoCA, then your Velop
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #125
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime View Post

MoCA simply replaces the need for ethernet for older homes that don't have it, but have a bunch of old coax that they used for TV's. Don't worry about where the Shaw router goes. It's job is to simply let your home network talk to the Shaw network. The only time you should need to consider MoCA is if you have a very large or difficult home to get wifi throughout and need to run a hard line to one of the mesh access points.

In my experience, the vast majority of wifi issues revolve around signal interference from your neighbours or other electronics like microwaves. Spend some decent money, like the Velop, and get a system that will automatically adjust wifi channels based upon interference. And don't overdo the mesh access points. More is not better because your device (phone, for example) won't automatically connect to the AP with the highest signal strength. They tend to connect to one and stay connected to it regardless of another AP being closer.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:19 PM   #126
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Dual wan with Shaw will pull big numbers with a system that allows load balancing. I can’t actually download something at that speed. I max out at about 700. But I can pull down two files at 700ish each versus 350 each
Tell me about dual WAN.... I've realized how critical Internet connectivity is right now during the pandemic and I'd like to build some redundancy.

Current plans is telus fiber at @ 600 and I'm thinking a 50 backup from Teksavvy.

Should I even bother with a dual WAN router? Or just run downstairs and swap over from the Telus ODN to the Teksavvy Router (into my Velop router).
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:46 AM   #127
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok so I have a new 2-storey place and it's time I tidy up the network, but I have a question hoping you guys can help.

I want to have both wired and wireless network, obviously.

Do I set it up by plugging the switch & the mesh router into the ISP modem?

Or do I plug the mesh router into the ISP modem, then plug the switch into the mesh router?

I hear good things about Ubiquiti so I think I'll buy this unit https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX65725

Still researching a good mesh router setup, though.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:48 AM   #128
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You go ISP-> router-> switch
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2021, 10:36 AM   #129
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have 3 of these

Limited-time deal: TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch (TL-SG1005D) - Plug and Play, Desktop or Wall Mount, Plastic Case, Ethernet Splitter, Fanless, Traffic Optimization, Unmanaged (TL-SG1005D) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000N99BBC/...QZGC5MH7?psc=1

I hooked up my mesh and have one of these switches at every location so everything is hardwired.

Basement
ISP - Base Router - Switch to living room/bonus room/Office

Living room switch - mesh satellite /cable box/TV

Bonus room switch - mesh satellite/cable box/tv/Nintendo Switch

Office Switch - Computer/projector/extras

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:41 AM   #130
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I have 3 of these

Limited-time deal: TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch (TL-SG1005D) - Plug and Play, Desktop or Wall Mount, Plastic Case, Ethernet Splitter, Fanless, Traffic Optimization, Unmanaged (TL-SG1005D) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000N99BBC/...QZGC5MH7?psc=1

I hooked up my mesh and have one of these switches at every location so everything is hardwired.

Basement
ISP - Base Router - Switch to living room/bonus room/Office

Living room switch - mesh satellite /cable box/TV

Bonus room switch - mesh satellite/cable box/tv/Nintendo Switch

Office Switch - Computer/projector/extras

I prewired my home with Cat6 and they all terminate in the basement mech room.

So I plan on putting a 24 port switch down there in a rack, and my hardwire needs are taken care of.

Integrating the wireless mesh will require some more thought.
Old 12-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #131
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mines all pre-wired as well, I just put a switch at each termination to have the wired backhaul for my satellites along with all the other stuff still hardwired.

Old 12-26-2021, 10:58 AM   #132
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

What mesh system did you use? And what router, since we’re at it now haha.
Old 12-26-2021, 11:09 AM   #133
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Well if you're already going for that UniFi switch, I'd recommend going with Unifi for the router and wireless since all their stuff connects together seamlessly. Start with a Dream Machine for the router, which is also an access point which should cover your basement (also make sure to get your ISP to put your modem in bridge mode)

https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/...-dream-machine

Then grab some other access points for the other floors, though depending on the strength you get from the basement you may only need one for the top floor. Also make sure your switch is PoE if you want to use these with just a single cable

https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/...twork-wireless

You can also use a UniFi security gateway for the router/firewall if you don't need wireless in the basement, but then you'll also need either a Cloud Key or a local server that you can install the UniFi OS on so you can manage everything. I have the security gateway, 24-port PoE switch, and a few of the Pro UniFi APs. I have near-perfect wifi coverage in every room in the house and an enterprise grade firewall for peace of mind. I don't think I'll ever move away from UniFi for home networking unless the company goes in the crapper for some reason

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 12-26-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2021, 01:57 PM   #134
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I got the Nighthawk MK63. I do not recommend it at all.

When it works it's fantastic but I have to reset it 3-4 times a week. I don't have the money to replace it but will be looking for a new wifi 6 mesh eventually.

The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2021, 04:25 PM   #135
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Well if you're already going for that UniFi switch, I'd recommend going with Unifi for the router and wireless since all their stuff connects together seamlessly. Start with a Dream Machine for the router, which is also an access point which should cover your basement (also make sure to get your ISP to put your modem in bridge mode)

https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/...-dream-machine

Then grab some other access points for the other floors, though depending on the strength you get from the basement you may only need one for the top floor. Also make sure your switch is PoE if you want to use these with just a single cable

https://ca.store.ui.com/collections/...twork-wireless

You can also use a UniFi security gateway for the router/firewall if you don't need wireless in the basement, but then you'll also need either a Cloud Key or a local server that you can install the UniFi OS on so you can manage everything. I have the security gateway, 24-port PoE switch, and a few of the Pro UniFi APs. I have near-perfect wifi coverage in every room in the house and an enterprise grade firewall for peace of mind. I don't think I'll ever move away from UniFi for home networking unless the company goes in the crapper for some reason

Great stuff man, thank you.

Dream Machine appears to be sold out, so now I’m wondering if it’s better (cheaper?) to buy a standard Ubiquiti router and a cloud key separately. Amazon is selling em for like $200 more than manufacturer direct.

This is exciting stuff I’ve learned so much already today. Glad I got the Unifi switch and will build the network using Ubiquiti gear.
Old 12-26-2021, 05:43 PM   #136
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Great stuff man, thank you.

Dream Machine appears to be sold out, so now I’m wondering if it’s better (cheaper?) to buy a standard Ubiquiti router and a cloud key separately. Amazon is selling em for like $200 more than manufacturer direct.

This is exciting stuff I’ve learned so much already today. Glad I got the Unifi switch and will build the network using Ubiquiti gear.
Looks like you can get a 2nd hand gateway (which is what I did) or the dream machine through FB marketplace

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...c-527874e2aea2

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5-4f347481d03b

I'd highly recommend at least the gateway over a regular Ubiquiti router, as a standard router will have it's own interface and won't tie into UniFi OS at all. And if you get the standard gateway and need a cloud key I have a couple kicking around that I'd sell for cheap
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2021, 07:30 PM   #137
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's nuts the USG is so expensive now. I bought mine back in May for $130 off Amazon.

Waiting for a Dream Machine second gen for the 2.5GBe lan/wan ports. Don't see that happening any time soon tho.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:16 AM   #138
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I don't think I'll ever move away from UniFi for home networking unless the company goes in the crapper for some reason
I was relieved to hear the "breach" they suffered was blown wildy out of proportion by the "whistleblower" that turned out to be the cause of the breach.

I use their equipment as well and have been quite happy with how its performed.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #139
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I got thinking... I spent $200 on a non-PoE Unifi switch, but the AP will require PoE.

My guess is I would only need two APs, so could I get away with using those PoE injector things? Feels like a bit of overkill to spend $400-600 on a PoE switch.
Old 12-27-2021, 02:18 PM   #140
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So I got thinking... I spent $200 on a non-PoE Unifi switch, but the AP will require PoE.

My guess is I would only need two APs, so could I get away with using those PoE injector things? Feels like a bit of overkill to spend $400-600 on a PoE switch.
MSRP-wise, the UniFi Switch-8-60W is only $20 more than the UniFi Switch-8 non-PoE. $159 vs $179. I love the cleanliness of being able to use PoE and not have to mess around with injectors. They're necessary in some installs like my MIL's where it's all old CAT3 wiring and RG6 coaxial and we used MoCA adapters, so PoE injectors were a must. But if you can run PoE, it's nice to have.

Personally, if you can find a Switch-8-60W, I would get that and return or re-sell the Switch-8 (unless you need an 8-port switch elsewhere). The Switch-8-60W was the first UniFi switch I bought when I started my little project that resulted in this very thread, and it was enough to send PoE to two UniFi access points (the UAP-AC-Pro and UAP-AC-Mesh) and the UniFi Gen.1 Cloud Key I use to administer it. The Switch-8-60W now lives in the garage where it powers my two PoE IP cameras and the UAP-AC-Mesh that connects the garage to the house wirelessly. A Switch-8-150W now handles the main PoE needs for the house.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: