Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-21-2015, 12:11 PM   #1
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Bluetooth Headphones Suggestions

Figured I'd tap the braintrust here since I'm not the expert when it comes to electronics and such.

I'm looking for some over-the-ear bluetooth (wireless) headphones. Looking to spend in the neighbourhood of $250 or so, and with Boxing Day coming up, I figure there should be a couple of pretty good options for that price range.

For example, Best Buy will have Beats Solo 2's on for $239 ($90 off) and some noise-cancelling ones for $279 ($70 off).

Any suggestions as to what I should be looking for?
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beats do not actually sound that great. They are overly heavy on the bass and overpriced.

If you want decent noise cancelling but don't want to pay for some of the more expensive pairs, take a look at the Plantronics Backbeat PRO. They are on sale during boxing day according to RFD fliers.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blue Bird X? Around $180 or so. No noise cancelling, but supposed to be good sound for Blue tooth. Supposed to be comfortable and a favourite of individuals who don't want cables that snag things when they work out.

Bestbuy or Apple store should have some.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tried on some Beats Studio at Best Buy and wasn't a huge fan. Was kind of underwhelmed. Ordered the Backbeat Pro without trying them off Amazon. Reviews were too good not to give them a try. Were actually cheaper than the Beats, too.

Will see how much I like them.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/over-ear-headphones
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

I bought a pair for $29 off amazon - MPOW. They actually looks high end and have different colors to choose from.
Nobody believes I paid less than $100 when the listen to them. It has been the better part of a year since and I have no complaints or issues.... will certainly purchase again when these eventually die.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2015, 11:14 PM   #7
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
I bought a pair for $29 off amazon - MPOW. They actually looks high end and have different colors to choose from.
Nobody believes I paid less than $100 when the listen to them. It has been the better part of a year since and I have no complaints or issues.... will certainly purchase again when these eventually die.
I was just looking at those. They do sound good? I just want a cheap paur of wireless that are comfy for work and for travelling
Old 12-29-2015, 11:18 PM   #8
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I was just looking at those. They do sound good? I just want a cheap paur of wireless that are comfy for work and for travelling
I've heard they are pretty decent as well. However, it's the quality that's in question. Heard they stop charging after a while based on some reviews. Realtor 1 got a good pair. But I think they're a decent gamble for value performance.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:34 AM   #9
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been using these MPOW headphones since my Blue Bird X's crapped out six times in about a year. Company was good sending replacements out, but they clearly weren't sweat proof.

http://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-Wirel...&keywords=mpow

These things are incredible for the price, and no issues sweating with them so far.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2015, 04:49 PM   #10
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How long do these generally last without charge?
Does running BT kill your music device substantially faster?
Thanks!
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #11
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

For the gym or for gaming?
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:46 PM   #12
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I bought these for my daughter to use on airplanes and car rides. I am pretty impressed on how they sound on first try. I am not an audiophile by any means and I have only just started trying them out.

I actually don't know how I have lived this long without them. BT makes the music experience so much easier!

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00W...ilpage_o00_s00
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #13
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been looking for some Bluetooth headphones for work, but I can't use the in-ear headphones. Does anyone know of any that fit similar to apple headphones?
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:53 PM   #14
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
I've been looking for some Bluetooth headphones for work, but I can't use the in-ear headphones. Does anyone know of any that fit similar to apple headphones?
You can't have anything in ear? Or the fit/feeling isn't to your liking? I know some Bluetooth buds have hooks that go over your ears. If that doesn't work, there are some over the ear options too.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:52 AM   #15
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
For the gym or for gaming?
portable use, gym/run/walk/shovel the snow.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:46 PM   #16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
Have had these for 3 days. Thanks for the tip. They are great for the price. Very comfortable for my ears with all of the attachment options.

Much appreciated.
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:36 PM   #17
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Backbeat Pro's arrived today. Initial, 15-minute review is they are fantastic, and well above the 15 minutes I had Beats Studio I tried out in store. They're a bit heavier, but much more comfortable than the Beats, and the other features (battery life being the biggest one) are a lot more impressive.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #18
frodo_t_baggins
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I received Plantronics Backbeat Fit for Christmas and they are great. They aren't in-ear headphones as they are designed to let in some road noise while running outside but the sound is still loud and fantastic. At the gym, they are loud enough that they block out pretty much all other noise. Plus they seem to be very rugged, sweat proof and don't bounce around at all while running. Very highly recommend!!
frodo_t_baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #19
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I bought these for my daughter to use on airplanes and car rides. I am pretty impressed on how they sound on first try. I am not an audiophile by any means and I have only just started trying them out.

I actually don't know how I have lived this long without them. BT makes the music experience so much easier!

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00W...ilpage_o00_s00
How does bluetooth work on an airplane when your device is supposed to be in airplane mode?

Agreed. BT makes the entire audio experience so much better. Everything from cooking, cleaning, running is so liberating without having a cord that gets in the way all the time. I live in a fair sized condo unit and I can leave my phone in my bedroom charging and perform chores all throughout without needing my phone on me.

If you have one with a mic so you can answer calls/use voice commands and your phone will never need to leave your pocket.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #20
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
How does bluetooth work on an airplane when your device is supposed to be in airplane mode?
Airplane mode usually turns off cellular, blue tooth and wifi automatically. However you can turn wifi and blue tooth back on manually (ie: use wifi when in a foreign country with your phone or listen to music).

Some airplanes are installing wifi. Wifi won't be a problem. Blue tooth is supposed to connect two devices together. Again, shouldn't be a problem unless you are trying to hack the airplane console with it or something.

They however, may still ask you to turn off all devices until after take off.

Randomly, I am intrigued by the MPow. I'll have to nab one later on and test it. For those that have one, do you guys recommend the Swift, Cheetah or Wolverine model?

Last edited by DoubleF; 01-15-2016 at 11:55 AM.