Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Doomsday Preppers

I have been catching a show in National Geographic, called Doomsday Preppers.

It's all about people that think the world is going to end, or be changed by an event.

Anyone else watch this?

There are some interesting mind sets out there.

A couple of the folks have been from Calgary.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've seen a couple episodes, some seem plausible and some seem out in right field.

One guy was from NYC and was sure a super volcano was going to errupt in Yellowstone and that ash was going to cover NYC and kill people off. At the end it said the likelyhood of that happening was like 2% or something small.

What was the one from Calgary?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that the one where experts evaluate how successful they would be, and give them tips on where to improve? If that's the one I saw, it was pretty entertaining.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I've seen a couple episodes, some seem plausible and some seem out in right field.

One guy was from NYC and was sure a super volcano was going to errupt in Yellowstone and that ash was going to cover NYC and kill people off. At the end it said the likelyhood of that happening was like 2% or something small.

What was the one from Calgary?
Calgary one was a couple with one child. Their belief was that something bad was going to happen. They did not say what, just that the wife had dreams and in the dreams she had the feeling something bad was going to happen. Showed them going to the range (the shooting edge) with their daughter. NYC guy was way off. Did you see the girl in Dallas that believes cooking fish reduces the nutrients and as such eats raw fish.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Is that the one where experts evaluate how successful they would be, and give them tips on where to improve? If that's the one I saw, it was pretty entertaining.
yep that's the one.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Calgary one was a couple with one child. Their belief was that something bad was going to happen. They did not say what, just that the wife had dreams and in the dreams she had the feeling something bad was going to happen. Showed them going to the range (the shooting edge) with their daughter. NYC guy was way off. Did you see the girl in Dallas that believes cooking fish reduces the nutrients and as such eats raw fish.
I saw the Calgary one too then.

I think the funniest one I saw was some guy out with his kids in desert training with the guns, the gun he was using "misfired" and shot him in his thumb. They showed pictures and it was pretty mangled, they had to amputate part of it so now he is missing the middle knuckle.

Then later on at the dinner table he said to his son "You were right, never put anything infront of the barrel you don't want to lose".

His plan was to buy a bunch of shipping containers and bury them in the desert, and that would be where they lived when an EMP went off.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I saw the Calgary one too then.

I think the funniest one I saw was some guy out with his kids in desert training with the guns, the gun he was using "misfired" and shot him in his thumb. They showed pictures and it was pretty mangled, they had to amputate part of it so now he is missing the middle knuckle.

Then later on at the dinner table he said to his son "You were right, never put anything infront of the barrel you don't want to lose".

His plan was to buy a bunch of shipping containers and bury them in the desert, and that would be where they lived when an EMP went off.

I liked when the younger kid said "his dad was tuff", the dad agreed and then the older boy called the dad out for "passing out".....haha
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really though I don't think an EMP is your problem. I don't think I have seen one realistic fear yet.

One thing I did learn that was interesting was that fish tank cleaner can be used as an antibiotic.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really though I don't think an EMP is your problem. I don't think I have seen one realistic fear yet.

One thing I did learn that was interesting was that fish tank cleaner can be used as an antibiotic.
It is a very interesting mindset these people have. It's the likelyhood portion that interest me. Often the likelyhood of the event happening is very low.

I would wager that a place like CP has at least on prepper.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I did see one realistic fear - the woman outside Helena who believed that nuclear weapons would target the military installments near her town, and that any refugees would come there. She was getting ready for that.

Of course, then she shows HOW she prepares when her husband disapproves, and showed exactly why she's crazy.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw one with some lady who was afraid of an epidemic (legitimate concern).
The way the lady was preparing though was ridiculous...she was loading up on medical gear (masks, gloves, protective suits, hand sanitizer etc...) but she had no food or water supplies stockpiled.
Then she was running her family through timed drills to get into protective gear (suits, gloves, masks, goggles) like epidemics just sneak up and leave you with mere minutes to protect yourself before you're dead.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is a very interesting mindset these people have. It's the likelyhood portion that interest me. Often the likelyhood of the event happening is very low.

Moncton golden flames is my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
I did see one realistic fear - the woman outside Helena who believed that nuclear weapons would target the military installments near her town, and that any refugees would come there. She was getting ready for that.

Of course, then she shows HOW she prepares when her husband disapproves, and showed exactly why she's crazy.
I saw that, and one other one. Its an entertaining show, but people are afraid of some pretty unlikely events in my opinion. Not only that, but the two people I saw couldn't possibly defend themselves and their stash if anything actually happened.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Came in expecting a thread about Doomsday Peppers, a pepper hotter than the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion pepper @ over 2 million Scoville units.

Leaving disappointed because apparantly I can't read.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

i guess you could call me a prepper, of sorts.

i guess everybody has a different view and definition of what a prepper is. my definition, if i even have one, would surely not be off the deep end like some people on the show, but there are lots of great ideas they bring forth and i try to learn from that.

i'm a prepper, ask me anything! haha!

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Moncton golden flames is my guess.
not sure if i should be flattered or embarrased about this.....

Old 07-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Its an entertaining show, but people are afraid of some pretty unlikely events in my opinion.
I think that is the flaw with most of the people on the show- they are preparing for just one event; not covering a few different bases. There was one guy preparing for a solar flare wiping out everything electrical; why not also prepare for a nuclear attack and a virus outbreak?

The lady in Helena said she thought to prepare after a train accident cut off access to her town. However she is preparing for a nuclear war instead of another train accident.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just from what I've seen on Nova and various reading, the Yellowstone supervolcano is the only realistic concern, since we're really not that far from it in Calgary.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #18
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Just from what I've seen on Nova and various reading, the Yellowstone supervolcano is the only realistic concern, since we're really not that far from it in Calgary.
it seems like the single largest plausible event that could severely threaten us in calgary. trying to predict when something like this will happen is next to impossible, but does that mean you should not be prepared for it?

what if the power grid goes down for an extended period similar to what just happened in washington dc a few weeks ago. here are some major things that dc'ers now realize;

a - the grid is very vulnerable to disruptions or failures.
b - without electricity, acquiring food and water is a difficult task.
c - most people are not prepared for any problems and worsen a crisis.
d - many people don't know what to do in an emergency.
e - modern cities are built on systems with little redundancy.

anyway, one of my big eye openers was when i found out that without our ground level transportation system running, there is only about 3 days worth of food in any particular region, like southern alberta. no food = tough times.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #19
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I think that is the flaw with most of the people on the show- they are preparing for just one event; not covering a few different bases. There was one guy preparing for a solar flare wiping out everything electrical; why not also prepare for a nuclear attack and a virus outbreak?

The lady in Helena said she thought to prepare after a train accident cut off access to her town. However she is preparing for a nuclear war instead of another train accident.
Exaclty the issue I had with it as well. If you are going to prepare like that, why limit yourself to one event? I think it would make sense just to say "I'm preparing for any event that will shut down the machine"

That being said, I think the whole theme of the show is to underscore just how many are unprepared for even a few days without having access to grocery stores or water. I hope this show encourages more people to have emergency supplies set aside so things don't get to crazy if the unthinkable ever happens.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #20
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some in here may find this interesting. There was a list put up by a real estate company that showed 10 places that would be good during a zombie outbreak. Again, in reality they would be good for any event that "shut down the machine" but though this one in particular was perfect. Hell of a purchase price too.

http://realestate.yahoo.com/news/ant...le.html?page=2

What the pic doesn't show is an additional 6 or so lvls of the missle silo below the first two. Man would that be cool.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote