Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #21
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

From what I've seen of the show, different people prepping for different scenarios, but the preparations aren't necessarily helpful unless the very specific thing they are prepping for happens.

Personally, If mass calamity happens like one of those people are preparing for, I think I'd rather be one of the masses struggling then one of the few who are "prepared" that the rest of the masses want to raid for what they have. never mind the fact that for many of the "preppers", getting ready consumes their whole lives.

If there were some kind of event that killed 99% of the population, would I want to be one of the 1% who survived? Life would be so entirely different, and a complete struggle, orders of magnitude harder than before.

A stockpile of food and water helps you in just about any scenario. However, most of the security things that people focus on on that show wouldn't really help much. Rifle skills would help in case you need to hunt game for food or something, but against humans, it will only protect you against people that are a worse shot than you.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #22
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

/\/\/\

Also a VERY valid concern and I totally agree. That being said, I still think I would want to make a go of it. You could always punch your own ticket if the going got to hard. I'd have to at least try first.

Yes, being prepped would make you a target. I don't see much value in stockpiling in your home as sooner or later people would be on to you and you would be in loads of trouble. Unless you home is a bunker like the link I posted. Then you are sitting pretty.

Hell, even if you had a cabin somewhere in the woods you could stockpile you would probably do ok. A major city is the last place I would want to be. I'd be so worried about the safety of my g/f.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #23
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
A major city is the last place I would want to be. I'd be so worried about the safety of my g/f.
i agree, which is why i think people should have an evacuation plan. not matter what is causing the evacuation, knowing where to go, what to bring and how to get there is crucial to getting out of dodge.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #24
1stLand
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have personally liquidated most of my hard assets and bought silver.
I also collect jars of pennies. Pennies are another precious metal that will be a sought after commodity in the event of the collapse of society.
1stLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #25
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

1stland,

In 1998, I had a discussion with a group of lawyers and professionals in Calgary about the impending Y2k crisis.

One prominent Lawyer confided that he had already made his plans for the coming apocalypse. He had sold his large Calgary home in favour of a smaller condo, had purchased a large property in/around Kananaskis country some where and stockpiled ammunition, food, water, batteries etc for what he assured us was Armageddon.

He also, somewhat sheepishly, said he had spent some time scouting his neighbours and their properties, potential vulnerabilities and useful items.

One item he purchased in bulk? Aluminum foil. No joke.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #26
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I've seen a couple episodes, some seem plausible and some seem out in right field.

One guy was from NYC and was sure a super volcano was going to errupt in Yellowstone and that ash was going to cover NYC and kill people off. At the end it said the likelyhood of that happening was like 2% or something small.

What was the one from Calgary?
Did they say the NYC scenario was 2 %? Cause when Yellowstone blows all hell will break loose. That sucker blows every 600,000 years and the last one was 640,000 years ago.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #27
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Did they say the NYC scenario was 2 %? Cause when Yellowstone blows all hell will break loose. That sucker blows every 600,000 years and the last one was 640,000 years ago.
Yes, they said 2% and that it is very unlikely the ash cloud would cause problems for NYC. They weren't saying the volcano errupting was a 2% chance.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 07-23-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #28
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

If anyone is prepping for zombies, then I'll start prepping for Reapers.

Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote